+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: European Super League imminent?

Re: European Super League imminent?

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Hmm. They were the obvious candidates in my eyes as they've pulled out early in recent rights bids.

And if it isn't them - who has the money to gamble on this working? Surely the ESL clubs didn't announce this before getting some commitment from a group of broadcasters?!
    the club's have been sold the promise of 5bn a year revenue for this new league - that must have come from somewhere.
    it didn't seem as though sky were involved by their reaction either.

there's always the option of making them all directly available ppv by each club, or on YouTube or something like that

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Are they going to be using temporary substitutes for free kicks and pelantys ?

Edit:----- Haven't read the whole thread, has anyone mentioned "Who are going to Ref these games", or is it all done by computer.
    I'd imagine that after sorting out the clubs, the players and the broadcasters, getting the " REFS " won't be a problem

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    the club's have been sold the promise of 5bn a year revenue for this new league - that must have come from somewhere.
    it didn't seem as though sky were involved by their reaction either.

there's always the option of making them all directly available ppv by each club, or on YouTube or something like that
    Sky’s response has struck me as very orchestrated with something of a party line - I’d be amazed if they are candidates to stream the matches.

With the amount of money in the whole project and the status of the owners, what's to stop them introducing their own streaming service?

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    With the amount of money in the whole project and the status of the owners, what's to stop them introducing their own streaming service?
    Yes they could indeed, or perhaps approach someone like Netflix.

I guess setting up their own adds an additional level of risk.
    their talked about 5bn a season is basically what Disney+ is gathering in revenue worldwide now - i guess it is possible but it also means that they are taking on all the risk

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Considering Henderson is captain of one of the 6 founding clubs you'd think this would seriously undermine Super League plans, assuming of course he's got the support of his team mates and the PL Captain's response will also be to unanimously resist these plans.
    The players have contracts - if they want to walk away from those contracts - that costs them money - when push comes to shove enough of the best players would want to play in this league anyway.

Dare we dream?

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Looks like the players may be about to kick-off.

A number of players have already voiced their disapproval individually, a joint statement would be great

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Hmm. They were the obvious candidates in my eyes as they've pulled out early in recent rights bids.

And if it isn't them - who has the money to gamble on this working? Surely the ESL clubs didn't announce this before getting some commitment from a group of broadcasters?!
    They've wanted to sell the rights to their own games for years, I imagine it'll all be done via their websites

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    The players have contracts - if they want to walk away from those contracts - that costs them money - when push comes to shove enough of the best players would want to play in this league anyway.
    I'm not sure about that. I don't pretend to be best mates with Ronaldo but my guess is that he'd rather have one more world cup than play in this.

I wonder if clubs electing out of domestic league and European competitions is a breach of these player contracts. If Salah has a goalscoring bonus for EPL goals- how does that work now he can't play in it?

I would have thought the clubs will use their own TV channels alongside a streaming platform called SuperLeague TV as the model they are looking to use follows US Sports as this is all about securing as much money as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post

Dare we dream?
    No need to, it won't happen. Whilst 'real' fans are hugely outnumbered by plastics across the World, they're the ones that are up close to the club, it's employees, along with local and national media. All told a damaging exercise for these clubs' images, and a telling sign just how little these owners understand the concept of following and supporting your team. The awful thing is we're now going to have to put up with all those conciliatory, fawning statements from the 'big six'...

The more the story has gathered pace over the past 48hrs, the more I personally think it won't amount to anything. I've been glued to the media in fascination and its just getting farcical now.
    There's no way they can proceed with it and i'll bet the clubs executives are having internal shit your pants meetings discussing how they can get out of it showing face and minimising embarrassment.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster munch View Post
    The more the story has gathered pace over the past 48hrs, the more I personally think it won't amount to anything. I've been glued to the media in fascination and its just getting farcical now.
    There's no way they can proceed with it and i'll bet the clubs executives are having internal shit your pants meetings discussing how they can get out of it showing face and minimising embarrassment.
    it'll be interesting to see what happens next, will they keep pushing for it, or try to extract some kind of concession from uefa to make it go away.
    if it is defeated then the punishments need to be severe and stricter laws brought in to prevent it from happening again

The fact that helping shut it down would be an easy PR win for Boris doesn't bode well for the idea either

I think it's looking less likely, I think the clubs involved are going to be ****ed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    it'll be interesting to see what happens next, will they keep pushing for it, or try to extract some kind of concession from uefa to make it go away.
    if it is defeated then the punishments need to be severe and stricter laws brought in to prevent it from happening again
    Wouldn't UEFA be in the stronger position though if the clubs back down? There usual threat for concessions would be gone because they've bottled it and future threats wouldn't be taken as seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    Wouldn’t those contracts be under Premier League conditions? Perhaps they’d be null and void if the goalposts were moved

Chelsea have bottled it

Chelsea have bottled it
    Why do you describe it as “bottling it”
    Do you not think it’s a good thing they are reconsidering?

Chelsea have bottled it
    I would say they’ve seen sense.
    Well done on those fans peacefully protesting outside the ground.

Chelsea have bottled it
    Good, let the rest follow and punish all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Why do you describe it as “bottling it”
    Do you not think it’s a good thing they are reconsidering?
    They made a decision and not completed it because the backlash from all corners has been stronger than they expected, they're not doing this out of any reasons for the good of football or anything. They got cold feet and are scrambling. In my view they've bottled it.

They made a decision and not completed it because the backlash from all corners has been stronger than they expected, they're not doing this out of any reasons for the good of football or anything. They got cold feet and are scrambling. In my view they've bottled it.
    Are you that naive, that you think they didn’t realise what the general reaction would be ?