+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: European Super League imminent?

Re: European Super League imminent?

I'm personally gutted that it looks like this will all be wrapped up this evening. I was quite enjoying watching it unfold. Could they not have kept it going until the end of the week? I'd have loved the tension and the possibility of clubs being eliminated from the champions League. Part of me hopes the hardcore nutters in charge of utd, arsenal, Liverpool and the Italian clubs actually try to stick it out. This is prime time entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Your post is a political comment based presumably on your own beliefs and has nothing whatsoever to do with the theme of this thread.
    Well said sir!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    No, I don’t think they did - looks to me as if they have been taken aback by the ferocity of the reaction.
    My gut feeling is Chelsea and Man City jumped in quickly in case they were missing out on something.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    I'm personally gutted that it looks like this will all be wrapped up this evening. I was quite enjoying watching it unfold. Could they not have kept it going until the end of the week? I'd have loved the tension and the possibility of clubs being eliminated from the champions League. Part of me hopes the hardcore nutters in charge of utd, arsenal, Liverpool and the Italian clubs actually try to stick it out. This is prime time entertainment
    What the hell am I going to do when this is sorted out. I've become addicted to Twitter and Sky Sports News.

It's not the only reason that clubs are pulling out, but the tidal wave of negative reaction - mainly from their own supporters - has made a huge difference over the last 24 hours. Fans in this country are more powerful than they give themselves credit for. We can force change.

Next it's ticket prices and enforced supporter representation at clubs. This has to be a line in the sand. We can't forget what these dismal dozen tried to do.

But bloody hell I'm happier than I was 24 hours ago.

https://twitter.com/danielstorey85/s...70751462817792
    That sums it up for me. But also note his call 24 hours ago for unity and not letting club rivalry splinter a response.

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    So nothing to do with ‘Arry splashing the cash when he was at Pompey then .....
    Indeed , hypocrisy at its best .

I wonder if we will now see the American owners backing out of Arsenal, Man Utd and Liverpool??

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I wonder if we will now see the American owners backing out of Arsenal, Man Utd and Liverpool??
    Those 3 only have 1 title win between them in the last 8 yrs. Some suoer league 😂😂

When we talk about "evil owners" it usually centres on petrostates, but Elliott should surely be part of that conversation.
    Apparently not everyone is aware that the owners of AC Milan buy up the sovereign debt of developing nations and refuse to let them default on it.

https://twitter.com/GraceOnFootball/...02236731281409
    Jeepers, there are some incredibly dodgy owners out there who are now hiding behind the CEO's of their clubs resigning to reduce backlash.

If you want punishment then i) support your local trust to help reform football but also ii) support proper restraints on billionaires in every aspect of life. These owners did it in a football setting but there are hundreds of them taking the exact same extreme, greed-based action in less thought about industries.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Jeepers, there are some incredibly dodgy owners out there who are now hiding behind the CEO's of their clubs resigning to reduce backlash.

If you want punishment then i) support your local trust to help reform football but also ii) support proper restraints on billionaires in every aspect of life. These owners did it in a football setting but there are hundreds of them taking the exact same extreme, greed-based action in less thought about industries.
    Pay 'em a nice wedge to take the rap.

It's nothing personal, just business.

There will be loads to come out this week.
    I wonder where Levy from Tottenham is at the moment. I bet he’s kicking and screaming!!

Quote Originally Posted by Monster munch View Post
    There will be loads to come out this week.
    I wonder where Levy from Tottenham is at the moment. I bet he’s kicking and screaming!!
    Probably wondering how the **** he's going to pay Mourinho off now.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    I suspect the drama will drag on for a time yet.

Clubs who have signed contracts then pulled out. Someone is gonna be massively out of pocket... unless there was 14 dsy cooling off period written in of course.

What about the others left high and dry?
    Anyone heard from Levy yet?

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Good to see the Grauniad spellchecker is still in the box, Jon! Caveat Copier as they say!
    Indeed.

Liverpool have withdrawn now

Arsenal and Spurs gone too. United still in but I imagine it's only a matter of time until they leave. What a ****ing day

All seems a bit too easy. Feel whilst the attention was on this they were up to something else.

All English clubs out. This is a PR disaster for them. We can never, ever trust any of these clubs again.

We now must undo the damage these parasites have done to the game. This must be the start. The big clubs are now powerless.

The last few days have shown us yet again the depth of feeling our supporters around the world have for this great club and the game we love.

We needed no reminding of this but the response from supporters in recent days has given us time for further reflection and deep thought.

It was never our intention to cause such distress, however when the invitation to join the Super League came, while knowing there were no guarantees, we did not want to be left behind to ensure we protected Arsenal and its future.

As a result of listening to you and the wider football community over recent days we are withdrawing from the proposed Super League. We made a mistake, and we apologise for it.

We know it will take time to restore your faith in what we are trying to achieve here at Arsenal but let us be clear that the decision to be part of the Super League was driven by our desire to protect Arsenal, the club you love, and to support the game you love through greater solidarity and financial stability.

Stability is essential for the game to prosper and we will continue to strive to bring the security the game needs to move forward.

The system needs to be fixed. We must work together to find solutions which protect the future of the game and harness the extraordinary power football has to get us on the edge of our seats.

Finally, we know this has been hugely unsettling at the end of what has been an incredibly difficult year for us all.

Our aim is always to make the right decisions for this great football club, to protect it for the future and to take us forward. We didn’t make the right decision here, which we fully accept.

We have heard you.

The Arsenal Board

20210420_231323.jpg

not sure if it was before or after they pulled out, but it looks like Liverpool have lost at least one sponsor over this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    20210420_231323.jpg

not sure if it was before or after they pulled out, but it looks like Liverpool have lost at least one sponsor over this.
    Took their time.

We kept the lead tonight longer than this lot.

in the midst of all that, they changed the champions League when nobody was looking - from 2024 it's going to be a big league, and the top 2 teams who didn't qualify will get in anyway
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ind...885.html%3famp

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Took their time.
    At least they kept watch

How true it is I don’t know, but I heard this morning that Mourinho refused to take training with Spurs because he was adamant the Club should not be involved in this Super League fiasco - they sacked him hours later.

Fan power has now won the day.