+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: European Super League imminent?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: European Super League imminent?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    When you say 'they', I'd hope you're talking about the mega-rich foreign owners and their greedy, out-of-touch CEOs who run these big clubs.

It's not the clubs themselves, it's not their managers and players and it's not their supporters either. If you are judging these clubs on the actions of their owners alone, it's the equivalent of saying Vincent Tan is Cardiff City Football Club.
    I thought it would be quite obvious that's what I meant?

I'd feel for the genuine fans of the clubs if this happens but its also been obvious for a while now that this is inevitable. It would offer an opportunity to restructure English football into a more sustainable model without these 6 clubs dominating discussions

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post

I'd feel for the genuine fans of the clubs if this happens but its also been obvious for a while now that this is inevitable. It would offer an opportunity to restructure English football into a more sustainable model without these 6 clubs dominating discussions
    The revolution can't come quick enough for Liverpool fans now the prospect of being out of Europe is real

Clearly not. I get the impression that you, and others like you, would actually like to see some of the country's biggest clubs break away and form their own league. My view is that would be an absolute disaster which would kill the dreams of millions and damage the professional game in this country beyond repair.

A breakaway would offer an opportunity to restructure English football into a more sustainable model? The truth is that without the biggest clubs the leagues would struggle to attract supporters, sponsors, TV money, etc. It wouldn't be sustainable at all. Millions would simply lose interest. The strength of the game is that the pyramid system, both here and in every other major country, offers everyone a chance to aim for the top or at least somewhere near it. If you remove that option you remove much of what football is all about.

But as long as UEFA haven't changed their minds and keep telling them that they will not support it these teams will not have any pyramid system?

Won't it just be a league between themselves and a trophy for the winner

Clearly not. I get the impression that you, and others like you, would actually like to see some of the country's biggest clubs break away and form their own league. My view is that would be an absolute disaster which would kill the dreams of millions and damage the professional game in this country beyond repair.

A breakaway would offer an opportunity to restructure English football into a more sustainable model? The truth is that without the biggest clubs the leagues would struggle to attract supporters, sponsors, TV money, etc. It wouldn't be sustainable at all. Millions would simply lose interest. The strength of the game is that the pyramid system, both here and in every other major country, offers everyone a chance to aim for the top or at least somewhere near it. If you remove that option you remove much of what football is all about.
    But you aren't removing the pyramid or the opportunity to progress up it, you're removing 6 clubs who have been sucking more and more of the money out of the game and away from the smaller clubs

This was always going to happen, its been proposed plenty over the past couple of years. It may not happen this time around, but it will at some point. These clubs are not what gives the pyramid its prestige or status, it is the pyramid that provides that for the clubs

Will there be less money? Of course there will, but do you think Everton fans will stop watching Everton and Sunderland fans will stop watching Sunderland because of this? No. They and the thousands of other fans will still watch their clubs regardless. I do think it will provide an opportunity to restructure the game, a restructuring that is needed

But you aren't removing the pyramid or the opportunity to progress up it, you're removing 6 clubs who have been sucking more and more of the money out of the game and away from the smaller clubs.
    Let me ask you a simple question: what sort of attendances do you believe a Cardiff City side would attract if they were pushing for promotion to a league where the biggest clubs were the likes of Everton, Leicester, West Ham and Wolves?

Let me ask you a simple question: what sort of attendances do you believe a Cardiff City side would attract if they were pushing for promotion to league where the biggest clubs were the likes of Everton, Leicester, West Ham and Wolves?
    Probably the same as we got last time around. We'll still be playing Bristol City and Middlesbrough.

Probably the same as we got last time around.
    Fair enough. If you genuinely believe that, the discussion is pointless.

What does your crystal ball say?

Go on then, how many fans would Cardiff average in a season where we're pushing for promotion to the top flight? 10,000? 15,000?

But you aren't removing the pyramid or the opportunity to progress up it, you're removing 6 clubs who have been sucking more and more of the money out of the game and away from the smaller clubs

This was always going to happen, its been proposed plenty over the past couple of years. It may not happen this time around, but it will at some point. These clubs are not what gives the pyramid its prestige or status, it is the pyramid that provides that for the clubs

Will there be less money? Of course there will, but do you think Everton fans will stop watching Everton and Sunderland fans will stop watching Sunderland because of this? No. They and the thousands of other fans will still watch their clubs regardless. I do think it will provide an opportunity to restructure the game, a restructuring that is needed
    Spot on, yes it will be less money , yes fans will support it , perhaps a structure will appear that allows the fans to be part of each club instead of the endless search of greatest via debt ,perhaps terrestrial television will be allowed a bigger platform with it t broadings up the game to those who cant afford the hefty TV subscriptions ,what's not to like .

So the gravy-train that is the European Greed League is with us. The clubs have sold their souls for a mess of pottage. Throw the kitchen sink at them.

StT.
    <><

Don't you think that this is just a power play , with bigger clubs wanting changes to force the current structure to better fit these bigger clubs needs , and perhaps the inclusion of more and more clubs is maybe a step too far , and a shrinking of the format from its current format is now required rather than any more expansion ??

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Don't you think that this is just a power play , with bigger clubs wanting changes to force the current structure to better fit these bigger clubs needs , and perhaps the inclusion of more and more clubs is maybe a step too far , and a shrinking of the format from its current format is now required rather than any more expansion ??
    They just want more money.

Thats it.

Greed.

Chatter from Europe that there maybe a meeting Friday in attempt to boot out these clubs form this years semi final competition

I strongly dislike how good a group of people have become at delivering bad news and waltzing through any negative feedback untouched.

David Cameron used to say what he wanted then quickly walk away so not to answer any follow up questions; Boris Johnson ruffles his hair, lies, denies reality and then makes a cheesy joke which tells us we can all do it; billionaire owners of these clubs stay silent and allow their managers and players to take all the flack.

Clubs, fans, players should remember we're all pretty much in it together - currently under broken structure where we're definitely not all in it together - apart from 12 owners of the club's and JP Morgan who have agreed to get involved and take an even greater slice of the pie. Several hours (and messages on) and I'm still a bit depressed about the state of football, especially the knowledge that in a few days the owners will release a statement where some feel their reaction today has been OTT and overcorrect to now support the owners.

Rashford needs to sort this out pronto.

But would this not mean a much more competitive league? Salary caps, a reliance on youth, limitations on finances? Surely all that those who hate the money in football wish for?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dargavel View Post
    But would this not mean a much more competitive league?
    I'm sure a Premier League without the so-called Big Six would be more competitive, but would that make it any more attractive to the average football supporter?

I'm sure a Premier League without the so-called Big Six would be more competitive, but would that make it any more attractive to the average football supporter?
    Life goes on Gunman, like I said in an earlier comment invite Celtic & Rangers even start a British league but I would penalise the clubs who breakaway and even the players so once you go to the ESL there's no getting your last pay-check playing in the lower leagues and I like the sound of no internationals, not sure if Harry Kane would go with that.

It would also be faced with dwindling finances, which would mean that the quality of players in the league will rapidly decline.

Anyone who thinks that the top 6 leaving will be good for the clubs left behind is absolutely deluding themselves.

When we were languishing in the lower leagues (which was all I had known until I was in my early 20s), you still dream of rising through the leagues and getting to the top - as unlikely as it seemed at the time, you knew there was at least a possibility - unearthing a gem and having a few good seasons and all of a sudden you're up there.

If the possibility of getting to the very top is taken away, then that takes away a lot of the magic for me

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Anyone who thinks that the top 6 leaving will be good for the clubs left behind is absolutely deluding themselves.

When we were languishing in the lower leagues (which was all I had known until I was in my early 20s), you still dream of rising through the leagues and getting to the top - as unlikely as it seemed at the time, you knew there was at least a possibility - unearthing a gem and having a few good seasons and all of a sudden you're up there.

If the possibility of getting to the very top is taken away, then that takes away a lot of the magic for me
    Bang on.

Furthermore, I don't think it's the dream of getting to the very top that's important. We all know that's unrealistic for most clubs and we've known as much for all of our lives. However, getting to the top flight and competing with the very top clubs is far from impossible.

Swansea and Bournemouth are two clubs who almost went out of the Football League in the the relatively recent past. However, they recovered and went on to play in the top flight. During their season at that level, the Swans beat Arsenal (five times), Liverpool (three times), Manchester United (three times), Manchester City and Chelsea. Meanwhile, during their stint in the top flight, Bournemouth beat Chelsea (four times), Manchester United (twice), Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs.

Even Cardiff City, who've had two poor Premier League campaigns, managed to beat Manchester City and Manchester United while playing at the top level. If you remove the prospect of playing (and beating) the biggest clubs in the country, the whole pyramid will be greatly devalued. No doubt about it. The Premier League would just become a glorified version of the Championship - competitive no doubt, but nowhere near as attractive for the majority of fans of the sport.