+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: European Super League imminent?

Re: European Super League imminent?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Has it actually been referred to by the "founders" as the European Super League or just the Super League? I can see clubs like New York City and Al Sadd eventually joining if its the latter
    The Super League. They'll end up playing games all over the world.

But you aren't removing the pyramid or the opportunity to progress up it, you're removing 6 clubs who have been sucking more and more of the money out of the game and away from the smaller clubs

This was always going to happen, its been proposed plenty over the past couple of years. It may not happen this time around, but it will at some point. These clubs are not what gives the pyramid its prestige or status, it is the pyramid that provides that for the clubs

Will there be less money? Of course there will, but do you think Everton fans will stop watching Everton and Sunderland fans will stop watching Sunderland because of this? No. They and the thousands of other fans will still watch their clubs regardless. I do think it will provide an opportunity to restructure the game, a restructuring that is needed
    Spot on, yes it will be less money , yes fans will support it , perhaps a structure will appear that allows the fans to be part of each club instead of the endless search of greatest via debt ,perhaps terrestrial television will be allowed a bigger platform with it t broadings up the game to those who cant afford the hefty TV subscriptions ,what's not to like .

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    The Super League. They'll end up playing games all over the world.
    That's that then, MLS teams will be in the frame soon enough, send some games to Qatar to get PSG on board and its all sorted. Dortmund have come out and rejected the idea but how long will that last?

I find the 'rejections ' by bayern and dortmund quite interesting. This is obviously something that's been cooked up in secret. The German teams are 51% fan owned, so would presumably need to put any decision to a vote or at least subject it to fan scrutiny.
    So rather than an outright rejection, I'm guessing it was the case that the German teams couldn't agree while keeping it secret from their fans and shareholders.

If this does end up being put to the fans as a proposition, I'd be very interested to see which way they vote. My heart tells me that the Dortmund fans especially will vote to tell them to f off

So the gravy-train that is the European Greed League is with us. The clubs have sold their souls for a mess of pottage. Throw the kitchen sink at them.

StT.
    <><

Don't you think that this is just a power play , with bigger clubs wanting changes to force the current structure to better fit these bigger clubs needs , and perhaps the inclusion of more and more clubs is maybe a step too far , and a shrinking of the format from its current format is now required rather than any more expansion ??

How does this work with Barcelona? Aren't they fan owned?

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I wonder if the idea seems less unpalatable in leagues where the champions League qualifiers are less variable.
    real Madrid, Atletico and Barcelona are practically guaranteed a champions League position anyway, all this change will mean for them is they won't have to play any European minnows in the group stages.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Don't you think that this is just a power play , with bigger clubs wanting changes to force the current structure to better fit these bigger clubs needs , and perhaps the inclusion of more and more clubs is maybe a step too far , and a shrinking of the format from its current format is now required rather than any more expansion ??
    They just want more money.

Thats it.

Greed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I wonder if the idea seems less unpalatable in leagues where the champions League qualifiers are less variable.
    real Madrid, Atletico and Barcelona are practically guaranteed a champions League position anyway, all this change will mean for them is they won't have to play any European minnows in the group stages.
    It is deeply unpopular in Spain. Spanish football is rigged towards Real and Barca anyway (especially re TV deals), and they have been horrendously run for decades. All this Super League will do is give clubs free rein to run how they like as they'll never be in a position to lose money.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    They're also about £1bn in debt.

Betis changed the league table on their website to remove the Madrids & Barca, so I don't think their particularly happy

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Juventus, Dynamo Kiev, Ferencvaros, Borrusia Monchengladbach, Shakhtar Donetsk, Inter Milan, Bayern Munich, RB Salzburg and Lokomotiv Moscow are who those 3 played in the group stages. Hardly minnows

Juventus, Dynamo Kiev, Ferencvaros, Borrusia Monchengladbach, Shakhtar Donetsk, Inter Milan, Bayern Munich, RB Salzburg and Lokomotiv Moscow are who those 3 played in the group stages. Hardly minnows
    Under the current plans, Liverpool would play a Manchester based team once a month; minimum. Glamour ties are glamour ties, because they rarely happen. Liverpool have played AC Milan twice. Soon, one of these super clubs will become the equivalent of Everton, one West Brom, one Burnley etc. They can't all be good all the time.

Kick them out, spread the money more evenly across the pyramid and if they want to come crawling back, they'll have to do it the hard way.

I didn’t want Brussels running our politics and so voted to leave Europe. The owners of the big 6 reside overseas and have no interest in the history of their clubs nor of the generations of supporters who have loved their teams for over a century both current and in the past.Why should these foreign despots run our football when all they are interested in is the bottom dollar? They can get stuffed as far as I’m concerned. Let them do this to sports teams in their own countries and leave our beloved institutions alone. There is already too much money in the top echelons - we don’t need more money flowing out to these overseas owners. How right Gary Neville is.

My opinion!

Will this cause the birth of new regional clubs trying to get a slice of the pie? Who knows.

Leeds nowhere near big enough but would they try and get a Yorkshire team? It would never work long term as it would still be another 'Leeds' but who knows if they'll even try.

outside fifa, so i'd say the 1st rule change will be the games split into quarters, nice and hot in August. Mark my words.

Liverpool fans have asked their banners to be taken down from the Kop in protest. This is a start but obviously sides like Man United have bought their own seat coverings so won't work as well.

Can you imagine if this happened circa 15-20 years ago when Juve were relegated from Serie A for their scandal? Imagine doing that again and knowing the worst thing to happen is that you drop to being only the 12th highest earning side in Europe.

This will completely devalue the league regardless of whether the clubs stayed in the PL or not. I don't for one minute think the PL would boot them out but it will still completely devalue it. 18 games per season minimum (23 or 25 if win it) and the PL will become of secondary importance.

If the league is wrapped up by Christmas again as it was with Man City this year then you have 16 games to finish the season of zero importance as there's no battle for top four as everyone is guaranteed their space for the following season. I think the CL is decent at the knockout stage but the group games bore me, don't ever watch one unless a result is needed in the final game. This is just a much more long winded version of that and tbh I can't really see the appeal. These teams will no doubt get better but atm half the teams involved are of a Europa League standard. I can't see who is going to want to watch half these games at the best of times, never mind when teams are out the running to qualify after 8 games and have another 10 games to go until the knockout. The format looks awful, all to do with maximising the games between the "big" clubs no doubt but half the appeal in these competitions is the lack of familiarity amongst half the teams.

Interested to see where it goes from here but the whole idea sounds shite as something to watch imo, before you take into account the rest of the issues.

6 nations, cricket and NFL work despite small number of teams you can face, but bit rich to say lack of completion in early Champions League stages when these teams extreme wealth and talent hoarding is partially responsible for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanmore Bluebird View Post
    I didn’t want Brussels running our politics and so voted to leave Europe. The owners of the big 6 reside overseas and have no interest in the history of their clubs nor of the generations of supporters who have loved their teams for over a century both current and in the past.Why should these foreign despots run our football when all they are interested in is the bottom dollar? They can get stuffed as far as I’m concerned. Let them do this to sports teams in their own countries and leave our beloved institutions alone. There is already too much money in the top echelons - we don’t need more money flowing out to these overseas owners. How right Gary Neville is.

My opinion!
    The problem is the definition of what 'our club' really means. We are supporters of teams and not owners - and there will always be conflicts of interest between long-standing fans and the high rollers who usually have no local connection to their clubs.
    Perhaps only German clubs have a chance of resisting this move as their fans are the major shareholders in most cases.

There won't be a Super League and I doubt there ever was any intention of there being one. The clubs in question knew full well what the reaction would be. But they'll meet the PL [and other respective leagues], and offer to stay in those leagues. The leagues will initially say 'get stuffed', and the clubs will say, fair enough, we don't need you - we can make enough dosh playing just the Super League, so they'll give notice to quit. The PL [and others] realizing the impact of the top clubs leaving will offer them more dosh to stay and abandon their plans for a Super League. They'll agree, Job done. More dosh for doing F. All

Seeing fans of some clubs taking the moral high ground is hilarious also. Everton, villa and 99% of clubs would have jumped at the chance if they were included in the circle wank. Similar to when most said their club could never be rebranded, its all money and in most clubs case its down to one owner or a group who usually have no connection to the club.

Seems we might know quite quickly how much of this is posturing.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Seems we might know quite quickly how much of this is posturing.

PSG to win the champions League by default then.