+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 413

Thread: European Super League imminent?

  1. #1

    European Super League imminent?

    https://twitter.com/martynziegler/st...110736388?s=20

    5 English clubs, 3 Spanish and 3 Italian sign up for a breakaway league apparently

  2. #2

    Re: European Super League imminent?

    How does it work? I saw a tweet saying it would be midweek games so would it be like the Champions League? However, if it's fixed teams every season, this is an awful idea and would further make the gap between the top clubs bigger. Also, it is a farce that other teams that could break into that level (like possibly Leicester and West Ham and Atalanta) but not in the clique of clubs would be limited, especially via artificial means.

  3. #3

    Re: European Super League imminent?

    Quote Originally Posted by adz-a32 View Post
    How does it work? I saw a tweet saying it would be midweek games so would it be like the Champions League? However, if it's fixed teams every season, this is an awful idea and would further make the gap between the top clubs bigger. Also, it is a farce that other teams that could break into that level (like possibly Leicester and West Ham and Atalanta) but not in the clique of clubs would be limited, especially via artificial means.
    No idea how it works but 3 of the English clubs that would be the "Super League" are currently 6th, 7th and 9th in the league. Spurs are in but have only once got anywhere near challenging for the Premier League. It's just the big 6 (if Man City join) circling the wagons and protecting their place at the top table

  4. #4

    Re: European Super League imminent?

    Best thing that could happen in my view leave the leagues and fans in a better place .

    We could then have real football and armchair fantasy football fans .

    Let them and their excess go, bring in capped wages per league for those left .

    Imagine gaining promotion and knowing you have a chance to compete and not feel inferior or run the risk of bankruptcy trying to compete with thier greed , excess and obscene monopoly.

  5. #5

    Re: European Super League imminent?

    Wouldn't it basically turn football into American Football where you have a relatively small number of extremely wealthy franchises and then a lower level of well supported college/club teams whose talent gets cherrypicked for the franchise level?

    Money is so great in football now, and so few restrictions on spending money, that's it's naturally heading in that direction so I can't see why they're doing it so aggressively which is more likely to spark resistance.

  6. #6

    Re: European Super League imminent?

    Good. They can f*ck off and not come back.

    UEFA and the FA have to be firm. No Champions League qualification, no B teams, no domestic cup entry. If you join this league that's it, you can't come back.

  7. #7

    Re: European Super League imminent?

    Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Good. They can f*ck off and not come back.
    When you say 'they', I'd hope you're talking about the mega-rich foreign owners and their greedy, out-of-touch CEOs who run these big clubs.

    It's not the clubs themselves, it's not their managers and players and it's not their supporters either. If you are judging these clubs on the actions of their owners alone, it's the equivalent of saying Vincent Tan is Cardiff City Football Club.

  8. #8

    Re: European Super League imminent?

    Kick em out

    They want cake ? Shove it down their throats

  9. #9

    Re: European Super League imminent?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    When you say 'they', I'd hope you're talking about the mega-rich foreign owners and their greedy, out-of-touch CEOs who run these big clubs.

    It's not the clubs themselves, it's not their managers and players and it's not their supporters either. If you are judging these clubs on the actions of their owners alone, it's the equivalent of saying Vincent Tan is Cardiff City Football Club.
    Is that not the reality of modern football though?

    When you sell your soul to the devil to try to get to the top then the owners dictate.

    He changed the colour of the team kit, installed red seats in the stands with matchstick men doing the ayatollah. He picks who plays for us and manages us. He may not be Cardiff City but he can do what he likes with it and if he saw fit could do it without a second thought for the fans.

    Let's say he pumped money in and turned us into a Man City and was looking to put us in this breakaway league. No amount of protests and the like would change that. The club is his to do what he likes with. Sadly fans are customers. The club care about your money and little else. Football has sold its soul and is paying the price.

  10. #10

    Re: European Super League imminent?

    Was always going to happen...............
    Money has ruined football and sport for that matter 😒

  11. #11

    Re: European Super League imminent?

    Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Good. They can f*ck off and not come back.

    UEFA and the FA have to be firm. No Champions League qualification, no B teams, no domestic cup entry. If you join this league that's it, you can't come back.
    This has been mentioned before and UEFA were pretty clear on the matter.
    It now looks like the plan has gathered momentum. Platini has gone hasn't he

    Whether you agree with it or not it's pretty poor timing smack in the middle of a pandemic.

    I have to agree though, the "big six" going and wage capping would be a good thing with the real hope of not just surviving ut progressing should promotion occur.

    I find most of the premiership games are pretty meaningless and aren't worth watching anyway.

  12. #12

    Re: European Super League imminent?

    Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    Is that not the reality of modern football though?

    When you sell your soul to the devil to try to get to the top then the owners dictate.

    He changed the colour of the team kit, installed red seats in the stands with matchstick men doing the ayatollah. He picks who plays for us and manages us. He may not be Cardiff City but he can do what he likes with it and if he saw fit could do it without a second thought for the fans.

    Let's say he pumped money in and turned us into a Man City and was looking to put us in this breakaway league. No amount of protests and the like would change that. The club is his to do what he likes with. Sadly fans are customers. The club care about your money and little else. Football has sold its soul and is paying the price.
    Most owners dictate. Thatís why they become the owner.

  13. #13

    Re: European Super League imminent?

    I am sure it will be on sky for those that have it and want to watch it

  14. #14

    Re: European Super League imminent?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    When you say 'they', I'd hope you're talking about the mega-rich foreign owners and their greedy, out-of-touch CEOs who run these big clubs.

    It's not the clubs themselves, it's not their managers and players and it's not their supporters either. If you are judging these clubs on the actions of their owners alone, it's the equivalent of saying Vincent Tan is Cardiff City Football Club.
    I thought it would be quite obvious that's what I meant?

    I'd feel for the genuine fans of the clubs if this happens but its also been obvious for a while now that this is inevitable. It would offer an opportunity to restructure English football into a more sustainable model without these 6 clubs dominating discussions

  15. #15

    Re: European Super League imminent?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Most owners dictate. That’s why they become the owner.
    Yes. Let's not make out that the fans are anything but the few quid they pay to the club though.

    We are just a number in modern football.

  16. #16

    Re: European Super League imminent?

    Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I thought it would be quite obvious that's what I meant?

    I'd feel for the genuine fans of the clubs if this happens but its also been obvious for a while now that this is inevitable. It would offer an opportunity to restructure English football into a more sustainable model without these 6 clubs dominating discussions
    The revolution can't come quick enough for Liverpool fans now the prospect of being out of Europe is real

  17. #17

    Re: European Super League imminent?

    Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I thought it would be quite obvious that's what I meant?

    I'd feel for the genuine fans of the clubs if this happens but its also been obvious for a while now that this is inevitable. It would offer an opportunity to restructure English football into a more sustainable model without these 6 clubs dominating discussions
    Once the fa shit out and let the big five form the Premier League that was it

    Hopefully Liverpool , Man United , Barcelona etc can play each other in a round Robin for a couple of seasons , get bored and the rest of football can say naff off when they try to come back

  18. #18

    Re: European Super League imminent?

    Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I thought it would be quite obvious that's what I meant?
    Clearly not. I get the impression that you, and others like you, would actually like to see some of the country's biggest clubs break away and form their own league. My view is that would be an absolute disaster which would kill the dreams of millions and damage the professional game in this country beyond repair.

    A breakaway would offer an opportunity to restructure English football into a more sustainable model? The truth is that without the biggest clubs the leagues would struggle to attract supporters, sponsors, TV money, etc. It wouldn't be sustainable at all. Millions would simply lose interest. The strength of the game is that the pyramid system, both here and in every other major country, offers everyone a chance to aim for the top or at least somewhere near it. If you remove that option you remove much of what football is all about.

  19. #19

    Re: European Super League imminent?

    But as long as UEFA haven't changed their minds and keep telling them that they will not support it these teams will not have any pyramid system?

    Won't it just be a league between themselves and a trophy for the winner

  20. #20

    Re: European Super League imminent?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Clearly not. I get the impression that you, and others like you, would actually like to see some of the country's biggest clubs break away and form their own league. My view is that would be an absolute disaster which would kill the dreams of millions and damage the professional game in this country beyond repair.

    A breakaway would offer an opportunity to restructure English football into a more sustainable model? The truth is that without the biggest clubs the leagues would struggle to attract supporters, sponsors, TV money, etc. It wouldn't be sustainable at all. Millions would simply lose interest. The strength of the game is that the pyramid system, both here and in every other major country, offers everyone a chance to aim for the top or at least somewhere near it. If you remove that option you remove much of what football is all about.
    But you aren't removing the pyramid or the opportunity to progress up it, you're removing 6 clubs who have been sucking more and more of the money out of the game and away from the smaller clubs

    This was always going to happen, its been proposed plenty over the past couple of years. It may not happen this time around, but it will at some point. These clubs are not what gives the pyramid its prestige or status, it is the pyramid that provides that for the clubs

    Will there be less money? Of course there will, but do you think Everton fans will stop watching Everton and Sunderland fans will stop watching Sunderland because of this? No. They and the thousands of other fans will still watch their clubs regardless. I do think it will provide an opportunity to restructure the game, a restructuring that is needed

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •