+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: European Super League imminent?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: European Super League imminent?

Quote Originally Posted by adz-a32 View Post
    How does it work? I saw a tweet saying it would be midweek games so would it be like the Champions League? However, if it's fixed teams every season, this is an awful idea and would further make the gap between the top clubs bigger. Also, it is a farce that other teams that could break into that level (like possibly Leicester and West Ham and Atalanta) but not in the clique of clubs would be limited, especially via artificial means.
    No idea how it works but 3 of the English clubs that would be the "Super League" are currently 6th, 7th and 9th in the league. Spurs are in but have only once got anywhere near challenging for the Premier League. It's just the big 6 (if Man City join) circling the wagons and protecting their place at the top table

Wouldn't it basically turn football into American Football where you have a relatively small number of extremely wealthy franchises and then a lower level of well supported college/club teams whose talent gets cherrypicked for the franchise level?

Money is so great in football now, and so few restrictions on spending money, that's it's naturally heading in that direction so I can't see why they're doing it so aggressively which is more likely to spark resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Wouldn't it basically turn football into American Football where you have a relatively small number of extremely wealthy franchises and then a lower level of well supported college/club teams whose talent gets cherrypicked for the franchise level?

Money is so great in football now, and so few restrictions on spending money, that's it's naturally heading in that direction so I can't see why they're doing it so aggressively which is more likely to spark resistance.
    The MLS has 30 teams and an America football style grouping. There is no promotion or relegation. None of the owners want a two or three league system as they believe their money should dictate what happen, not results.

It's one of the reasons the MLS is still way behind other countries.

It won't happen but I would love the six English sides thrown out of the premier League. Absolutely love it.