Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    The underlying principles are exactly the same
    In your opinion.

Re: European Super League imminent?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    In your opinion.
    Agreed

A powerful, and impressive, denunciation of the ESL proposal from Everton - I’ll add the caveat that, with Premier League clubs especially, it’s hard to avoid the suspicion that they would have jumped at the chance if they’d got an invite themselves.

Nevertheless, I think the statement hits the right notes and I feel the term “preposterous arrogance” is very appropriate, when you consider that the six are, effectively, saying we’re off to form a league that is for a large part, like a closed shop, but we’ll also carry on in our current league as if nothing’s happened;-

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...eague-20423045

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    A powerful, and impressive, denunciation of the ESL proposal from Everton - I’ll add the caveat that, with Premier League clubs especially, it’s hard to avoid the suspicion that they would have jumped at the chance if they’d got an invite themselves.

Nevertheless, I think the statement hits the right notes and I feel the term “preposterous arrogance” is very appropriate, when you consider that the six are, effectively, saying we’re off to form a league that is for a large part, like a closed shop, but we’ll also carry on in our current league as if nothing’s happened;-

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...eague-20423045
    Everton? That’s a laugh they were one of the instigators of ‘Greed is Good’ in football, the onset of the Premier League.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Everton? That’s a laugh they were one of the instigators of ‘Greed is Good’ in football, the onset of the Premier League.
    that's true and if Everton were offered the place instead of spurs I'm guessing they would have jumped at the chance.

however, at this time we need to amplify all voices against this and unite, not dismiss others for (blatant) hipocracy.

if uefa and the fans can put enough pressure on these clubs then I think they'll blink first, and as soon as 1 or 2 bottle it then the whole thing comes tumbling down.

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2021/0...ing-cold-feet/

Make of that what you will. Chelsea & Man City apparently reported on talksport earlier.

"Strong differences of opinion emerging in private between breakaway clubs. Some of execs involved believe they're being hung out to dry & are beginning to get cold feet. They're nervous & disappointed about way it's been handled. One says: “This is not what we signed up for”

Quote Originally Posted by Monster munch View Post

Make of that what you will. Chelsea & Man City apparently reported on talksport earlier.

"Strong differences of opinion emerging in private between breakaway clubs. Some of execs involved believe they're being hung out to dry & are beginning to get cold feet. They're nervous & disappointed about way it's been handled. One says: “This is not what we signed up for”
    yep, if they keep putting up Perez as a spokesman for all this it'll come crashing down before the end of the week, the guys a lunatic.

Apparently the 3bn the club's will divide between them for being a founder member is a loan from j p Morgan, that will need to be repaid.
    they are predicting annual income of £5,BN, but as yet don't have any broadcasters signed up to it, if there is a strong enough reaction from fans and uefa this could seriously reduce the appetite for broadcasters

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Although comparisons are inevitable, I honestly don't see any direct correlation between the formation of the Premier League and the formation of the European Super League. After all, the former was never intended to be a closed shop. It was always intended to be competitive. Indeed, the founding members included Blackburn, Coventry, Ipswich, Middlesbrough, Norwich, Nottingham Forest, Oldham, QPR, Sheffield Wednesday and Wimbledon, and others such as Crystal Palace, Leeds United, Sheffield United and Southampton, who've all been far from permanent fixtures in the top flight since.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Although comparisons are inevitable, I honestly don't see any direct correlation between the formation of the Premier League and the formation of the European Super League. After all, the former was never intended to be a closed shop. It was always intended to be competitive. Indeed, the founding members included Blackburn, Coventry, Ipswich, Middlesbrough, Norwich, Nottingham Forest, Oldham, QPR, Sheffield Wednesday and Wimbledon, and others such as Crystal Palace, Leeds United, Sheffield United and Southampton, who've all been far from permanent fixtures in the top flight since.
    the premier League was formed to boost the TV revenue, and to keep a bigger proportion of that amongst the top league (who "earned" the money).
    there were people at the time who wanted it to be a closed shop, and there have been many attempts since to make it so - all resisted. I think ex Bolton chairman Phil Gartside was often pushing that agenda from memory.

this seems like a much more extreme version of that - generate more income, keep it amongst the big boys and prevent them from being relegated

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

Bill Shankly's grandson wants Liverpool statue removed after being 'appalled and embarrassed' by FSG: https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...rpool-20424279

It's embarrassing that clubs built by Shankly and Busby are being treated this way by billionaire owners. Liverpool fans recently persecuted by The Sun and, bit more historically, Barcelona fans persecuted by Franco are finding that current owners would have sided with those persecuting because of shared wealth.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster munch View Post

Makes you wonder what they were signing up for

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Makes you wonder what they were signing up for
    No doubt the part in the presentations given by JPM's executives to the heads of the six families, sorry football clubs, headed "cons" was a quick one liner along the lines of there will be a backlash at first but we will sweeten up with x,y,z...

The headline news and worldwide condemnation they were not prepared for.

These people have family and friends who are being blackballed and neighbours who, instead of waving, now turn their backs on them as they drive out of their gates in their Bentleys.

Bless 'em.

I wonder if the compromise for this will be something like parachute payments for missing out on European football. big ones

What we’ve not heard much of is an attempted justification from the twelve for their actions - having read the advertising bollox revealed here, perhaps that’s understandable;-

https://www.theguardian.com/football...ying-breakaway

On the other hand, maybe more of this sort of thing from Florentino Perez will win the doubters around?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sp...interview.html

After all this we will look back on this moment when the revised European Competition appears , with the clubs involved claiming more TV money from the revised structure and the poor fans paying more in TV subscription rises , this smells of a power play, can't blame this one on Kerry Packer

"FIFA and uefa are understandably furious. if anyone's going to implement a terrible plan it should be them"

Looks like the players may be about to kick-off.

What we’ve not heard much of is an attempted justification from the twelve for their actions - having read the advertising bollox revealed here, perhaps that’s understandable;-

https://www.theguardian.com/football...ying-breakaway

On the other hand, maybe more of this sort of thing from Florentino Perez will win the doubters around?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sp...interview.html
    one thing I don't understand is these games between the elite clubs in the champions League are obviously massive events - there is a natural crescendo to a cup competition and that raises interest and excitement (and revenue)

they've assumed that more games between giants = more excitement = more revenue
    towards the end of a league , where there is just one winner and no relegation - there won't be the same level of interest in a game between a team in 9th and ,7th both with nothing to play for

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Looks like the players may be about to kick-off.

in fairness they can't do it at all without the players. and it doesn't appear as though they were consulted at any point along the way

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    in fairness they can't do it at all without the players. and it doesn't appear as though they were consulted at any point along the way
    Considering Henderson is captain of one of the 6 founding clubs you'd think this would seriously undermine Super League plans, assuming of course he's got the support of his team mates and the PL Captain's response will also be to unanimously resist these plans.

20210420_150725.jpg

Amazon ruling them self out of bidding for the rights - this could all be unraveling unless they have someone already lined up

20210420_150725.jpg

Amazon ruling them self out of bidding for the rights - this could all be unraveling unless they have someone already lined up
    Hmm. They were the obvious candidates in my eyes as they've pulled out early in recent rights bids.

And if it isn't them - who has the money to gamble on this working? Surely the ESL clubs didn't announce this before getting some commitment from a group of broadcasters?!

one thing I don't understand is these games between the elite clubs in the champions League are obviously massive events - there is a natural crescendo to a cup competition and that raises interest and excitement (and revenue)

they've assumed that more games between giants = more excitement = more revenue
    towards the end of a league , where there is just one winner and no relegation - there won't be the same level of interest in a game between a team in 9th and ,7th both with nothing to play for
    Agreed, as I mentioned yesterday, I see parallels with autumn internationals in rugby whereby teams that used to come to the UK every five years or so making games against them real events now turn up almost every year and an awful lot of the “magic” of, say, a Wales v South Africa match has been lost as a result.

Are they going to be using temporary substitutes for free kicks and pelantys ?

Edit:----- Haven't read the whole thread, has anyone mentioned "Who are going to Ref these games", or is it all done by computer.