+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: European Super League imminent?

Re: European Super League imminent?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    So what happens when those consistently at the top of the Super League need a greater share of the money again?
    There will be a breakaway league. In the end it will be Man U. versus Real Madrid , best of 21.

This only serves to satisfy the plastic supporters of those clubs overseas who have never stepped foot into a stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    There will be a breakaway league. In the end it will be Man U. versus Real Madrid , best of 21.
    Can I just watch the SPL?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I imagine there's a fair few clubs higher up the list than them
    Sorry. Typo
    I meant TNS

The European Super Duper League
    It's a cartel, not a league.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Sorry. Typo
    I meant TNS
    I'm disgusted at the lack of invitation for Ely Rangers

I'm disgusted at the lack of invitation for Ely Rangers

Man United haven't been a "super" club since Fergie left, Barcelona are in massive debt and creditors are calling, Spurs are failing to get into Champions League but needing to repay their stadium....

Football is increasingly about money but big clubs have always been able to fall and be replaced by others. This stops that from happening while also damaging international football and whatever remains of club football.

If football needs to become more like US sport then there are a lot better options to take first.

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    This only serves to satisfy the plastic supporters of those clubs overseas who have never stepped foot into a stadium.
    There's a good article in the Guardian about it

At which point, it is worth pointing out an uncomfortable truth: this is what a lot of people actually want. Maybe not you or the stalwart season-ticket holders or the ultras in the Curva Sud, but certainly millions around the world with no particular historical attachment to the game, and for whom the idea of keeping the elite teams apart for the sake of tradition seems as perverse as shelving the Godzilla vs Kong movie on the basis that they still need to face all the smaller monsters first.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...n-super-league

So six Premier League clubs are off to join a super league?

Does that mean the top eight teams in the Championship get automatic promotion and those in places 9-12 go into the play offs?

Sounds OK to me.

Kick them out of domestic football. Get rid of them. Half of them will come crawling back.

They've been crying on about it for so long it is bound to happen, time to show some balls. Good riddance. Football will be worse off but we cannot keep pandering to these leeches.

Officially announced now. **** them all off out of their leagues

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    Officially announced now. **** them all off out of their leagues
    just saw it on motd

Feck em all

Match of the day captured the mood perfectly. What a sorry day for football. Potentially.

the Premier league sucks

This sucks Satan's cock

Greedy bastards

F em all

They've never gone this far before, no deniability this time...

Starting in August apparently. Plenty of time for them to be kicked out of their domestic leagues

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    So six Premier League clubs are off to join a super league?

Does that mean the top eight teams in the Championship get automatic promotion and those in places 9-12 go into the play offs?

Sounds OK to me.
    Sheffield United staying in the league with 14 points. Incredible stuff

Can the premier league actually kick them out? It says in the announcement that the super planned for mid week games and all teams still to compete in their respective domestic leagues. Where has all the talk of kicking them out come from?

Quote Originally Posted by Monster munch View Post
    Can the premier league actually kick them out? It says in the announcement that the super planned for mid week games and all teams still to compete in their respective domestic leagues. Where has all the talk of kicking them out come from?
    Yes, they're not allowed to enter without the Prem's permission. Kick them out.

Businesses can be forcibly sold if their actions aren't in the best interests of the country. Force them to be sold.

Need written permission from the Premier League to play in another competition

I also imagine UEFA/Premier League have the authority to do whatever they want

Hold your horses. Apparently there are 3 more clubs to come.

Is Tan on the blower? Football success is not a requirement after all.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    There's a good article in the Guardian about it

At which point, it is worth pointing out an uncomfortable truth: this is what a lot of people actually want. Maybe not you or the stalwart season-ticket holders or the ultras in the Curva Sud, but certainly millions around the world with no particular historical attachment to the game, and for whom the idea of keeping the elite teams apart for the sake of tradition seems as perverse as shelving the Godzilla vs Kong movie on the basis that they still need to face all the smaller monsters first.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...n-super-league
    This is absolutely it in a nutshell and what will determine what happens overall.

There will be a lot of back and forth now over the next few years with threats of bans etc but it will be the fans that need to determine what we want as a system. If they start making less money because of boycotts then they won’t last long. Will fans really stop paying their subscriptions? What about the neutrals?

I know it may be hypocritical from people like me that was happy with the rebrand but it’s the only way this will be stopped.

"Premier League rules contain a commitment amongst clubs to remain within the football pyramid and forbid any clubs from entering competitions beyond those listed in rule L9, without Premier League board permission."

https://news.sky.com/story/european-...tands-12279432

And they won't get permission from the FPL, so if they go ahead and do it anyway the choices are let them crack on, and create even more (and permanent) of a wealth divide between those 6 and the rest of the Premier League, or kick them out and completely devalue the competition (and anyone who pretends that a league where playing West Ham and Leicester are the big games isn't devalued is kidding themselves)

Personally I hope they kick them out and say that any players playing for a team in the ESL can't play in any international competitions. It's be hilarious if there was an exodus of the best players from the so called big 12 to the teams that they left behind.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    This is absolutely it in a nutshell and what will determine what happens overall.

There will be a lot of back and forth now over the next few years with threats of bans etc but it will be the fans that need to determine what we want as a system. If they start making less money because of boycotts then they won’t last long. Will fans really stop paying their subscriptions? What about the neutrals?

I know it may be hypocritical from people like me that was happy with the rebrand but it’s the only way this will be stopped.
    From having a look at the comments on Twitter, amongst all the outrage (and there is mostly outrage) is a healthy amount of mostly US fans asking politely what the problem is

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Yes, they're not allowed to enter without the Prem's permission. Kick them out.

Businesses can be forcibly sold if their actions aren't in the best interests of the country. Force them to be sold.
    According to BBC:

"What is the proposed format?
    The league will have 20 teams - the 12 founding members plus the three unnamed clubs they expect to join soon and five sides who qualify annually according to their domestic achievements.

It will start in August, with midweek fixtures, and the clubs will be split into two groups of 10, who play each other home and away."

OK ... the incentive to play in a Europe will not have been lost.

Leicester or whoever outside the top 6 could win the Premier league (if all clubs remain) and go on to compete in the super league (as one of the 5 sides who qualify annually) in seasons to come.

If the big 6 are allowed to keep their place in the PL then the money may continue to filter down the pyramid if it has not been diluted by the Super league.

10 teams per group ... 18 midweek games ... plus knock out matches.

Added to 38 Prem fixtures / FA Cup etc, that does seem a lot of games though.

Just trying to make some sense of what the big 6 want ... I'm not supportive of the Super league but it could work.