+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: European Super League imminent?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: European Super League imminent?

It’s a midweek league instead of the CL. They’re not resigning from the PL (yet). It’s aimed at global TV money or to get UEFA to change the CL to an elite format.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    It’s a midweek league instead of the CL. They’re not resigning from the PL (yet). It’s aimed at global TV money or to get UEFA to change the CL to an elite format.
    I just wonder if you have a very big point there.

This could be the clubs raising the stakes in the negotiations about how the Champions League is run.

About the only certainty that any of us can have is that there will now be a legal battle between the breakaway reams and the football authorities.

A case of watch this space.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    If it’s just replacing the champions league what’s all the fuss about?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I can fully understand the fuss as the knock-on effects of this move could potentially be horrendous. However, in reality this is clearly a power play between the big clubs and the football authorities. Under the circumstances, it's somewhat ironic that the likes of FIFA and UEFA are being portrayed as bastions of sporting honour and integrity, when we all know they're nothing of the sort.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    The fuss is because that sort of thing is not decided by the clubs. They can say they will continue to compete in the EPL, but bluntly its not up to them. FIFA have already clearly stated that they will NOT be allowed to play in any other domestic or European club competitions. So you effectively have two sports: the self-elected elite who compete amongst themselves and whose players are banned from international competition; and everyone else, playing a pyramid system.

It may be a way to put pressure on a shake-up of the CL but it's a clumsy way to go about it. Just take a look at the tone of the UEFA statement, and the backlash. You've got six clubs here who have just announced something akin to the rebrand.

I wonder if his position will change? I'd like to think not.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...klopp-23937858

Also, I must say that, in some ways, the most impressive thing about this proposal is the sheer chutzpah of Spurs in managing to persuade the rest that they belong in the "top !2" - the only time they have been Champions of any league since 1961 is when they won the Second Division in 1978 after they'd been relegated.

Big clubs bullying their way to take more money. Stop them from ruining fair competition now or they'll come back every year with the same threats.

If they aren't happy with the amount of money they make, then stop paying £100million for players and paying them ridiculous wages.

It's laughable that Spurs and Arsenal would be considered. They'd only serve to make the other teams look good.

How long before the ganes then start to get played abroad to "meet global market demand" i.e =££££$$$$€€€€. like the NFL in Asia, Middle East, USA.?
    Barcelona vs Real Madrid in Miami, Manchester Utd vs Liverpool in Boston, Manchester City vs Juventus in Qatar, etc....

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    How long before the ganes then start to get played abroad to "meet global market demand" i.e =££££$$$$€€€€. like the NFL in Asia, Middle East, USA.?
    Barcelona vs Real Madrid in Miami, Manchester Utd vs Liverpool in Boston, Manchester City vs Juventus in Qatar, etc....
    I'm not sure I would mind completely about the 'odd' game compared to the super league but you know what they say - give an inch they'll take a mile

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    Spanish Clubs were contracted to play some games in the States, but the Spanish League and Government put a stop to that, and that was only a few years ago

The Premier League will do nothing if it goes ahead, the Clubs involved are too big for them to sanction.

"Breakaway clubs believe they can circumvent Fifa opposition to a closed-shop Euro Super League by offering five places a year to qualifying teams. Along with 15 permanent members. They are, it seems, preparing for a huge legal battle"
    I still don't fully get it. Champions League basically sees same teams qualify and get to later stages based on how much more those teams can spend already so (apart from reduction in fixtures and greater ownership of the competition) why bother with a legal battle when lax football rules allow you to secure greater slice of financial pie already?

Oh, I see, they want to be able to change the rules in the future to bend it even more to their designs. At least it's going to be fun seeing Spurs get eaten by the shark when Liverpool, Man United, Juve, Barca and Real Madrid decide there should be a break away league with just five clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    The fuss is because that sort of thing is not decided by the clubs. They can say they will continue to compete in the EPL, but bluntly its not up to them. FIFA have already clearly stated that they will NOT be allowed to play in any other domestic or European club competitions. So you effectively have two sports: the self-elected elite who compete amongst themselves and whose players are banned from international competition; and everyone else, playing a pyramid system.

It may be a way to put pressure on a shake-up of the CL but it's a clumsy way to go about it. Just take a look at the tone of the UEFA statement, and the backlash. You've got six clubs here who have just announced something akin to the rebrand.
    They've done this kind of power play before but never gone as far as as this, normally just rumours of meetings in secret

I genuinely hope UEFA etc hold their nerve and call their bluff.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    They've done this kind of power play before but never gone as far as as this, normally just rumours of meetings in secret

Doubt it though. Probably end up with even more dosh. For f*cks sake, how much more do they want !

I think they will. Have you seen their statement? They literally say enough is enough.

The English Clubs power play brought the Premier League to us, the European Clubs brought the change to the European Cup, now called the Champions League where more than half aren’t even champions. The Clubs will get what they want in the end.

Is this a case of the PL not being careful what they wished for?

The PL if this goes ahead would have to kick them out.

How can you have 6 teams with a massive financial advantage against the rest of the sides. All the top players would want to play for 1 of the 6.

This is greed pure and simple.

The PL becomes devalued no doubt about that.

The only incentives would be a promotion to this so called super league.

The top division in the countries taking part more or less becoming a 2nd tier league.

I just cant see how they can continue to play in the PL though with such an obvious advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    The PL if this goes ahead would have to kick them out.

How can you have 6 teams with a massive financial advantage against the rest of the sides. All the top players would want to play for 1 of the 6.

Err, isn't that exactly what is happening already? Money (predominantly through Champions League qualification and additional global interest this generates) and London post-code gives certain sides a massive advantage over the rest.

This is about greed on even greater level, control over the rules of the competition and big clubs protecting themselves from being damaged by their own bad decisions. Barcelona being classic example where bad investment, high manager turnover and lack of success has turned them from biggest club in the world to potentially Europa League club or even less if they don't get their next two seasons right as Arsenal have already experienced recently.

Top leagues in each country will become 2nd tier and football could even become comparable to rugby where English League is so powerful it can deny players going to international fixtures.

As I and American based fan said earlier in the thread, there is so much to bring over from American sport before "super franchises" such as a proper spending cap.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Who knows? But I'm certain that the lure of playing in a top flight where the biggest clubs are the likes of Manchester United, Manchester City and Liverpool would be significantly diminished if the biggest clubs in the division were Everton, Newcastle and West Ham.
    But what's the alternative? Keep giving in to these clubs as they take a larger and larger slice of the pie? UEFA have been appeasing them for years but these clubs still want more, they're insatiable.

But what's the alternative? Keep giving in to these clubs as they take a larger and larger slice of the pie? UEFA have been appeasing them for years but these clubs still want more, they're insatiable.
    Football fans need to organise.
    Try to hit them where it hurts.
    Boycott their products and sponsors.

Will fans of the massive clubs actually want to do that?
    some yes, but not enough. that's what they'll be counting on at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Football fans need to organise.
    Try to hit them where it hurts.
    Boycott their products and sponsors.

Will fans of the massive clubs actually want to do that?
    some yes, but not enough. that's what they'll be counting on at least.
    Local football fans are a tiny percentage of fanbase though and if you're predominantly an internet fan then what difference does this competition make? It's just going to be slightly different music before you watch your side online and fewer of the less important games to watch.

The only thing football fans have is how soulless empty stadiums have been this past year. And you need a relegation, a poor start and a cup game before fans start to boycott on mass...

I don't know what the alternative is, but as things stand this appears to be a power struggle between a cluster of mega-rich, unscrupulous football club owners and a couple of notoriously corrupt governing bodies. I've no idea how it will play out. All I know for sure is the notion that football in this country would somehow be better off without the likes of Manchester United, Manchester City and Liverpool is just nonsense.

I don't know what the alternative is, but as things stand this appears to be a power struggle between a cluster of mega-rich, unscrupulous football club owners and a couple of notoriously corrupt governing bodies. I've no idea how it will play out. All I know for sure is the notion that football in this country would somehow be better off without the likes of Manchester United, Manchester City and Liverpool is just nonsense.
    The clubs haven't shown all their cards yet, they'll have answers to all these arguments, no doubt. Keep a side in the PL, albeit a slightly weaker one, with the other PL clubs now having a much easier route to the Champions League with these 6 out of the way. More money for the likes of Leicester, WHU, Everton, etc, so they won't object too strongly.

There's no good option here, unless you can forcibly sell the clubs and roll back the damage these parasites have done for the last 20/30 years.

There comes a time when enough is enough though. If they get this through, they're guaranteeing themselves 6 clubs 350m a season. What's the point in anyone else bothering? Time to take a stand. Whatever happens now, massive repercussions need to happen. Football will suffer. Kick them out, relegate them, I am past caring.