+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: European Super League imminent?

Re: European Super League imminent?

this has been around the corner for 20 years now

just get on with it, if the teams supporters dont like it, then they can find another local team, maybe down the leagues

Sad state of affairs.

They pretty much have all the power. The PL won't kick them out despite the farce the PL would become, because even less money would come in from sponsors (most will already be diverted to this competition).

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Man United haven't been a "super" club since Fergie left, Barcelona are in massive debt and creditors are calling, Spurs are failing to get into Champions League but needing to repay their stadium....

Football is increasingly about money but big clubs have always been able to fall and be replaced by others. This stops that from happening while also damaging international football and whatever remains of club football.

If football needs to become more like US sport then there are a lot better options to take first.
    US Football has a salary cap and a draft system where the team with the poorest record gets the first pick of new talent. It's not ideal, but it's better than a European Super League.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Kick them out of domestic football. Get rid of them. Half of them will come crawling back.

They've been crying on about it for so long it is bound to happen, time to show some balls. Good riddance. Football will be worse off but we cannot keep pandering to these leeches.
    100% agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Sad state of affairs.

They pretty much have all the power. The PL won't kick them out despite the farce the PL would become, because even less money would come in from sponsors (most will already be diverted to this competition).
    The PL would kick them out.

As regards sponsors: let's face it - broadcasting is the only thing that matters. Sky Sports and BT Sport's main pundits have been vitriolic so far: who knows whether that is with the blessing of those broadcasters or that they simply give their pundits free reign. DAZN have said they were not involved and are not interested in entering into negotiations. These companies have already collectively committed to spending billions to broadcast EPL, La Liga and Serie A. My guess is that they are all absolutely ****ing fuming because this will totally ruin their anticipated earnings for the coming seasons. I suspect they feel conned by these clubs and will absolutely not want to pay, again, to broadcast this league.

I agree with Gary Neville. Even if this doesn't go ahead, stick these clubs at the bottom of the pyramid. Farcical yes, but they've just tried to stage a coup to steal the game. Look at the UEFA statement - a barrier has been crossed here and you can't undo that.

I am also curious as to what the best players will want to do. No doubt a super league would be lucrative but would Ronaldo sacrifice his last world cup to compete in yet another club competition? Is Harry Kane going to want to stay at Spurs with no real prospect of ever winning anything if it means the end of his England career? These footballers are already supremely wealthy - I just don't see that money will be enough for them to elect to be pariahs.

It’s a midweek league instead of the CL. They’re not resigning from the PL (yet). It’s aimed at global TV money or to get UEFA to change the CL to an elite format.

I wonder if his position will change? I'd like to think not.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...klopp-23937858

Also, I must say that, in some ways, the most impressive thing about this proposal is the sheer chutzpah of Spurs in managing to persuade the rest that they belong in the "top !2" - the only time they have been Champions of any league since 1961 is when they won the Second Division in 1978 after they'd been relegated.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    It’s a midweek league instead of the CL. They’re not resigning from the PL (yet). It’s aimed at global TV money or to get UEFA to change the CL to an elite format.
    I just wonder if you have a very big point there.

This could be the clubs raising the stakes in the negotiations about how the Champions League is run.

About the only certainty that any of us can have is that there will now be a legal battle between the breakaway reams and the football authorities.

A case of watch this space.

Big clubs bullying their way to take more money. Stop them from ruining fair competition now or they'll come back every year with the same threats.

If they aren't happy with the amount of money they make, then stop paying £100million for players and paying them ridiculous wages.

It's laughable that Spurs and Arsenal would be considered. They'd only serve to make the other teams look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    If it’s just replacing the champions league what’s all the fuss about?

How long before the ganes then start to get played abroad to "meet global market demand" i.e =££££$$$$€€€€. like the NFL in Asia, Middle East, USA.?
    Barcelona vs Real Madrid in Miami, Manchester Utd vs Liverpool in Boston, Manchester City vs Juventus in Qatar, etc....

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    What does your crystal ball say?
    My crystal ball says the Premier League would be hugely devalued without the likes of Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Chelsea, and the knock-on effect would be that the second tier would also be greatly devalued, as would the cup competitions.

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    How long before the ganes then start to get played abroad to "meet global market demand" i.e =££££$$$$€€€€. like the NFL in Asia, Middle East, USA.?
    Barcelona vs Real Madrid in Miami, Manchester Utd vs Liverpool in Boston, Manchester City vs Juventus in Qatar, etc....
    I'm not sure I would mind completely about the 'odd' game compared to the super league but you know what they say - give an inch they'll take a mile

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Go on then, how many fans would Cardiff average in a season where we're pushing for promotion to the top flight? 10,000? 15,000?
    Who knows? But I'm certain that the lure of playing in a top flight where the biggest clubs are the likes of Manchester United, Manchester City and Liverpool would be significantly diminished if the biggest clubs in the division were Everton, Newcastle and West Ham.

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    Spanish Clubs were contracted to play some games in the States, but the Spanish League and Government put a stop to that, and that was only a few years ago

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dargavel View Post
    But would this not mean a much more competitive league?
    I'm sure a Premier League without the so-called Big Six would be more competitive, but would that make it any more attractive to the average football supporter?

The Premier League will do nothing if it goes ahead, the Clubs involved are too big for them to sanction.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I can fully understand the fuss as the knock-on effects of this move could potentially be horrendous. However, in reality this is clearly a power play between the big clubs and the football authorities. Under the circumstances, it's somewhat ironic that the likes of FIFA and UEFA are being portrayed as bastions of sporting honour and integrity, when we all know they're nothing of the sort.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    The fuss is because that sort of thing is not decided by the clubs. They can say they will continue to compete in the EPL, but bluntly its not up to them. FIFA have already clearly stated that they will NOT be allowed to play in any other domestic or European club competitions. So you effectively have two sports: the self-elected elite who compete amongst themselves and whose players are banned from international competition; and everyone else, playing a pyramid system.

It may be a way to put pressure on a shake-up of the CL but it's a clumsy way to go about it. Just take a look at the tone of the UEFA statement, and the backlash. You've got six clubs here who have just announced something akin to the rebrand.

"Breakaway clubs believe they can circumvent Fifa opposition to a closed-shop Euro Super League by offering five places a year to qualifying teams. Along with 15 permanent members. They are, it seems, preparing for a huge legal battle"
    I still don't fully get it. Champions League basically sees same teams qualify and get to later stages based on how much more those teams can spend already so (apart from reduction in fixtures and greater ownership of the competition) why bother with a legal battle when lax football rules allow you to secure greater slice of financial pie already?

Oh, I see, they want to be able to change the rules in the future to bend it even more to their designs. At least it's going to be fun seeing Spurs get eaten by the shark when Liverpool, Man United, Juve, Barca and Real Madrid decide there should be a break away league with just five clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I'm sure a Premier League without the so-called Big Six would be more competitive, but would that make it any more attractive to the average football supporter?
    Life goes on Gunman, like I said in an earlier comment invite Celtic & Rangers even start a British league but I would penalise the clubs who breakaway and even the players so once you go to the ESL there's no getting your last pay-check playing in the lower leagues and I like the sound of no internationals, not sure if Harry Kane would go with that.

Who knows? But I'm certain that the lure of playing in a top flight where the biggest clubs are the likes of Manchester United, Manchester City and Liverpool would be significantly diminished if the biggest clubs in the division were Everton, Newcastle and West Ham.
    How could you forget Leeds? Or have they had an invite too.....

Lets be honest for all the club owners the main lure of Premier League is the money , the actual opposition is largely irrelevant !!
    Yes , its sounds better when playing Liverpool,Man Utd, etc but they get a bigger slice for playing games against Burnley, Sheff Utd ,etc in a bottom 3 Premier game than playing Brentford v or Swansea in a top six Championship game!

i am assuming the new league is looking to let the clubs own the tv rights so sign up now for your ECL SUPER LEAGUE season ticket for all the league games "Home and Away" only £540 (£30 a game) else £35 a game..... this offer only covers the 18 league games not play offs or last 16 games.

Oh yeah , we might have fans who actually want to be in the stadium .......ummm, errrr we'll announce details on those seats when we work out how much we need to make on the day to cover policing, hospitality, stewarding ,etc

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    The fuss is because that sort of thing is not decided by the clubs. They can say they will continue to compete in the EPL, but bluntly its not up to them. FIFA have already clearly stated that they will NOT be allowed to play in any other domestic or European club competitions. So you effectively have two sports: the self-elected elite who compete amongst themselves and whose players are banned from international competition; and everyone else, playing a pyramid system.

It may be a way to put pressure on a shake-up of the CL but it's a clumsy way to go about it. Just take a look at the tone of the UEFA statement, and the backlash. You've got six clubs here who have just announced something akin to the rebrand.
    They've done this kind of power play before but never gone as far as as this, normally just rumours of meetings in secret

I genuinely hope UEFA etc hold their nerve and call their bluff.

It would also be faced with dwindling finances, which would mean that the quality of players in the league will rapidly decline.

Anyone who thinks that the top 6 leaving will be good for the clubs left behind is absolutely deluding themselves.

When we were languishing in the lower leagues (which was all I had known until I was in my early 20s), you still dream of rising through the leagues and getting to the top - as unlikely as it seemed at the time, you knew there was at least a possibility - unearthing a gem and having a few good seasons and all of a sudden you're up there.

If the possibility of getting to the very top is taken away, then that takes away a lot of the magic for me