+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: European Super League imminent?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: European Super League imminent?

Next time I fly etihad or Emirates I'm going to drink so much booze they lose on my ticket. Might even soil myself so they really get the message!!

they promised to sack Mouriniho if they could join ....

The news about Mourinho this morning is even more interesting given the ESL announcement because it highlights a situation which I think even those fans of the six clubs who are okay with the proposals may need to bear in mind. Out of the six English clubs whose involvement has been confirmed so far, how many would you say are run better and more successful now than they were under their previous ownership?
    I'd answer that by saying that Chelsea and Man City are clearly more successful than they were even if there seems little evidence that this success is due to anything else but the vast amounts of money they now have compared to before. Spurs, while not winning a great deal in terms of trophies are probably in a better place, but, for now they have, at best, plateaued out (I'd say they've gone backwards myself) and the Mourinho appointment and inevitable sacking not so long afterwards hardly shows the decision makers in that club in a good light.
    As for the other three, Liverpool's ownership is an improvement on the last lot, but that's not to say the current people in charge have been over burdened with trophies given how long they've been there, while at both Man United and Arsenal there can be little doubt that those clubs have regressed.
    My point is, if I were a fan of any of those clubs, I wouldn't have full confidence in the judgement of the people running my team - in fact, them saying the plan was good for the club and for football would set alarm bells ringing for me because these people have not exactly been running things brilliantly so far have they.

Football has been going down the piss hole since the Premier League formed

The top level of the game is full of rats

I hope the ship sinks and the rats drown

Has it actually been referred to by the "founders" as the European Super League or just the Super League? I can see clubs like New York City and Al Sadd eventually joining if its the latter

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Has it actually been referred to by the "founders" as the European Super League or just the Super League? I can see clubs like New York City and Al Sadd eventually joining if its the latter
    The Super League. They'll end up playing games all over the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    The Super League. They'll end up playing games all over the world.
    That's that then, MLS teams will be in the frame soon enough, send some games to Qatar to get PSG on board and its all sorted. Dortmund have come out and rejected the idea but how long will that last?

Rashford's going to come out, tell Woodward to get f**ked and sign for PSG, you mark my words

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Rashford's going to come out, tell Woodward to get f**ked and sign for FC United of Manchester, you mark my words
    FYP

FYP
    Even better!

I find the 'rejections ' by bayern and dortmund quite interesting. This is obviously something that's been cooked up in secret. The German teams are 51% fan owned, so would presumably need to put any decision to a vote or at least subject it to fan scrutiny.
    So rather than an outright rejection, I'm guessing it was the case that the German teams couldn't agree while keeping it secret from their fans and shareholders.

If this does end up being put to the fans as a proposition, I'd be very interested to see which way they vote. My heart tells me that the Dortmund fans especially will vote to tell them to f off

How does this work with Barcelona? Aren't they fan owned?

I wonder if the idea seems less unpalatable in leagues where the champions League qualifiers are less variable.
    real Madrid, Atletico and Barcelona are practically guaranteed a champions League position anyway, all this change will mean for them is they won't have to play any European minnows in the group stages.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I wonder if the idea seems less unpalatable in leagues where the champions League qualifiers are less variable.
    real Madrid, Atletico and Barcelona are practically guaranteed a champions League position anyway, all this change will mean for them is they won't have to play any European minnows in the group stages.
    It is deeply unpopular in Spain. Spanish football is rigged towards Real and Barca anyway (especially re TV deals), and they have been horrendously run for decades. All this Super League will do is give clubs free rein to run how they like as they'll never be in a position to lose money.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Juventus, Dynamo Kiev, Ferencvaros, Borrusia Monchengladbach, Shakhtar Donetsk, Inter Milan, Bayern Munich, RB Salzburg and Lokomotiv Moscow are who those 3 played in the group stages. Hardly minnows

Juventus, Dynamo Kiev, Ferencvaros, Borrusia Monchengladbach, Shakhtar Donetsk, Inter Milan, Bayern Munich, RB Salzburg and Lokomotiv Moscow are who those 3 played in the group stages. Hardly minnows
    Under the current plans, Liverpool would play a Manchester based team once a month; minimum. Glamour ties are glamour ties, because they rarely happen. Liverpool have played AC Milan twice. Soon, one of these super clubs will become the equivalent of Everton, one West Brom, one Burnley etc. They can't all be good all the time.

Kick them out, spread the money more evenly across the pyramid and if they want to come crawling back, they'll have to do it the hard way.

They're also about £1bn in debt.

Betis changed the league table on their website to remove the Madrids & Barca, so I don't think their particularly happy

I didn’t want Brussels running our politics and so voted to leave Europe. The owners of the big 6 reside overseas and have no interest in the history of their clubs nor of the generations of supporters who have loved their teams for over a century both current and in the past.Why should these foreign despots run our football when all they are interested in is the bottom dollar? They can get stuffed as far as I’m concerned. Let them do this to sports teams in their own countries and leave our beloved institutions alone. There is already too much money in the top echelons - we don’t need more money flowing out to these overseas owners. How right Gary Neville is.

My opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by Stanmore Bluebird View Post
    I didn’t want Brussels running our politics and so voted to leave Europe. The owners of the big 6 reside overseas and have no interest in the history of their clubs nor of the generations of supporters who have loved their teams for over a century both current and in the past.Why should these foreign despots run our football when all they are interested in is the bottom dollar? They can get stuffed as far as I’m concerned. Let them do this to sports teams in their own countries and leave our beloved institutions alone. There is already too much money in the top echelons - we don’t need more money flowing out to these overseas owners. How right Gary Neville is.

My opinion!
    The problem is the definition of what 'our club' really means. We are supporters of teams and not owners - and there will always be conflicts of interest between long-standing fans and the high rollers who usually have no local connection to their clubs.
    Perhaps only German clubs have a chance of resisting this move as their fans are the major shareholders in most cases.

Will this cause the birth of new regional clubs trying to get a slice of the pie? Who knows.

Leeds nowhere near big enough but would they try and get a Yorkshire team? It would never work long term as it would still be another 'Leeds' but who knows if they'll even try.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Will this cause the birth of new regional clubs trying to get a slice of the pie? Who knows.

Leeds nowhere near big enough but would they try and get a Yorkshire team? It would never work long term as it would still be another 'Leeds' but who knows if they'll even try.
    Leeds not big enough?? as much as I dont like them they're as big as Chelsea an Tottenham at least.

Quote Originally Posted by I'll give you the Malky!! View Post
    Leeds not big enough?? as much as I dont like them they're as big as Chelsea an Tottenham at least.
    In terms of usual local crowds maybe, but in terms of global branding etc no where near

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    In terms of usual local crowds maybe, but in terms of global branding etc no where near
    that can change pretty quickly though, I'm sure most of us can remember Chelsea before abramovich

Cardiff City fans in, "foreign owners don't understand football shocker".

Nice to see a united front to this from the fans, rather unlike the mess we saw for the rebrand.

outside fifa, so i'd say the 1st rule change will be the games split into quarters, nice and hot in August. Mark my words.