+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: European Super League imminent?

Re: European Super League imminent?

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    The other classic Americanism of sport is moving franchises (sometimes overnight to avoid backlash) thousands of miles away to new markets.

Fans need to boycott any club that signs up to this, boycott the subscription service for the super league and boycott any sporting franchise owned by these owners. Otherwise the market in London or New York might be more attractive than staying in Liverpool...
    This is the inevitable end point of it though isn't it? "Hmm, we've got 6 franchises in the English market but nobody in Scandinavia or America, lets move Spurs to Stockholm and Man City to New York"

There's been talk of clubs showing the games on their own subscription channels and Sky's reaction will hardly have endeared them to the breakaway clubs

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    boycott the 12 clubs, boycott their sponsors. do it TODAY

main sponsors: Emirates, Plus500, 3, Rakuten, pirelli, jeep, standard chartered, Etihad, Chevrolet, AIA

boycott them all

will it make enough difference? probably not, as has been said there are millions of fans in other countries who will make up the difference.
    I will be doing it though, at least I'll know I tried
    I'm going to find boycotting those very easy

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    What would you regard as the highlights of Cardiff's 2013/14 Premier League campaign?
    Signing Jo Inge Berget and Zaha.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I'm going to find boycotting those very easy
    I have been already for years.

As British fans I think we are more emotionally attached to the historical element of our clubs but there is a world wide market of football fans who’ll buy into this without any of our concerns !! Remember it is only a televised game to them and do they follow a club or the star players ?

For example, Egyptian fans wear Liverpool shirts because Salah plays for them , if he moved to Real Madrid ..what do you think they will do ...follow Madrid or stay loyal to Liverpool? Messi signs for Manchester City , will these fans ditch their Barcelona shirt and get the new Manchester City one ....It’s just like the NBA ...people wearing LeBron shirts from whatever team he plays for ...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I have been already for years.
    No more jeeps for me, well obviously I'll take delivery of the one I've already ordered

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    No more jeeps for me, well obviously I'll take delivery of the one I've already ordered
    at least try to cut down if you can't quit them altogether

Haven't factchecked but this has been suggested:

If you qualify and win, you win less than half the $ of one of the "Founder members" even if they finish last.
    https://twitter.com/AnalyticsForest/...59848271155203
    Basically what's happening is that these owners see more money in global fans, are scared that they can make bad decisions which loses them access to this market (Arsenal post-Wenger, Barcelona's massive debt, Juve when they get caught with illegal activity) and some are bored with dominating their domestic leagues despite already broken financial rules being the main contributor towards that. Potentially also fear "soccer" becoming a number 2 sport with NFL reaching out to new markets.

But if you're miffed at the ultra-capitalists' version of football wait until you see what it also does to food standards, access to health etc.

Next time I fly etihad or Emirates I'm going to drink so much booze they lose on my ticket. Might even soil myself so they really get the message!!

I don't know what the alternative is, but as things stand this appears to be a power struggle between a cluster of mega-rich, unscrupulous football club owners and a couple of notoriously corrupt governing bodies. I've no idea how it will play out. All I know for sure is the notion that football in this country would somehow be better off without the likes of Manchester United, Manchester City and Liverpool is just nonsense.
    The clubs haven't shown all their cards yet, they'll have answers to all these arguments, no doubt. Keep a side in the PL, albeit a slightly weaker one, with the other PL clubs now having a much easier route to the Champions League with these 6 out of the way. More money for the likes of Leicester, WHU, Everton, etc, so they won't object too strongly.

I don't know what the alternative is, but as things stand this appears to be a power struggle between a cluster of mega-rich, unscrupulous football club owners and a couple of notoriously corrupt governing bodies. I've no idea how it will play out. All I know for sure is the notion that football in this country would somehow be better off without the likes of Manchester United, Manchester City and Liverpool is just nonsense.
    There's no good option here, unless you can forcibly sell the clubs and roll back the damage these parasites have done for the last 20/30 years.

There comes a time when enough is enough though. If they get this through, they're guaranteeing themselves 6 clubs 350m a season. What's the point in anyone else bothering? Time to take a stand. Whatever happens now, massive repercussions need to happen. Football will suffer. Kick them out, relegate them, I am past caring.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    Still laughing about spurs being in there. I'm guessing glamour, club history and current footballing ability weren't the criteria to be picked
    They must have just looked at the stadiums

they promised to sack Mouriniho if they could join ....

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    There's no good option here.....
    Any scenario in which FIFA, UEFA and the Premier League are seen as the good guys definitely has no good option.

The news about Mourinho this morning is even more interesting given the ESL announcement because it highlights a situation which I think even those fans of the six clubs who are okay with the proposals may need to bear in mind. Out of the six English clubs whose involvement has been confirmed so far, how many would you say are run better and more successful now than they were under their previous ownership?
    I'd answer that by saying that Chelsea and Man City are clearly more successful than they were even if there seems little evidence that this success is due to anything else but the vast amounts of money they now have compared to before. Spurs, while not winning a great deal in terms of trophies are probably in a better place, but, for now they have, at best, plateaued out (I'd say they've gone backwards myself) and the Mourinho appointment and inevitable sacking not so long afterwards hardly shows the decision makers in that club in a good light.
    As for the other three, Liverpool's ownership is an improvement on the last lot, but that's not to say the current people in charge have been over burdened with trophies given how long they've been there, while at both Man United and Arsenal there can be little doubt that those clubs have regressed.
    My point is, if I were a fan of any of those clubs, I wouldn't have full confidence in the judgement of the people running my team - in fact, them saying the plan was good for the club and for football would set alarm bells ringing for me because these people have not exactly been running things brilliantly so far have they.

Any scenario in which FIFA, UEFA and the Premier League are seen as the good guys definitely has no good option.
    Exactly! PL playing the victim when they've just been building up to this for years takes the biscuit!

Exactly! PL playing the victim when they've just been building up to this for years takes the biscuit!
    They aren't the good guys, they're the "Less Bad Guys"

Football has been going down the piss hole since the Premier League formed

The top level of the game is full of rats

I hope the ship sinks and the rats drown

Has it actually been referred to by the "founders" as the European Super League or just the Super League? I can see clubs like New York City and Al Sadd eventually joining if its the latter

Rashford's going to come out, tell Woodward to get f**ked and sign for PSG, you mark my words

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Rashford's going to come out, tell Woodward to get f**ked and sign for FC United of Manchester, you mark my words
    FYP

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    FYP
    Even better!

Do you want to side with the guys chasing Qatar money where homosexuality is illegal and poor worker's rights have seen several thousand die to build the next world cup?

Or the energy drink corporation buying up multiple teams around the world and running traditions of pre-existing clubs into the ground?

Or the league where their primary complaint is that someone else did this instead of them?

Hard capitalism is ruining football (not just football - this is representation of what happens in multiple industries) no matter where you look. All a bit depressing really.

Convenient that all this is happening when there aren’t any fans in the stadiums. Would have been interesting to say the least had the grounds been full this weekend, particularly how the fans of the 6 would have reacted.