+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Prince Philip's funeral: 13.6 million watch ceremony in UK

Re: Prince Philip's funeral: 13.6 million watch ceremony in UK

Why do ordinary people watch these state funerals ?

The mad old Greek, Lady Di , Thatcher

Why not go for a walk with the wife and kids , go fishing , watch re runs of hawaii five O , the clangers etc

Anything but watch some vicar saying he or she was so great and a load of squaddies sweating in bearskin hats

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Perhaps its because people look at countries which overthrew their class system like Russia and China and are reminded that the grass isn't always greener.
    They should probably look at a few other republics too; they might see something they like.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Why do ordinary people watch these state funerals ?

The mad old Greek, Lady Di , Thatcher

Why not go for a walk with the wife and kids , go fishing , watch re runs of hawaii five O , the clangers etc

Anything but watch some vicar saying he or she was so great and a load of squaddies sweating in bearskin hats

There was no vicar saying that yesterday Sludge.

Prince Philip didn't like sermons or eulogies. There were only hymns, readings and prayers yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    They should probably look at a few other republics too; they might see something they like.
    Unfortunately many republics in the world turn out to become dictatorships. They probably outnumber the decent ones.

There was no vicar saying that yesterday Sludge.

Prince Philip didn't like sermons or eulogies. There were only hymns, readings and prayers yesterday
    Thankfully I took the option not to watch it

The hymns , readings and prayers etc would have finished me off

Unfortunately many republics in the world turn out to become dictatorships. They probably outnumber the decent ones.
    So, better not chance it then? What do you think would happen if we became a republic?

Serious question. If the Royal family did in time become less and less popular, would it be down to a simple national vote, whether or not to become a Republic, or is it more complicated than that?

I'm not surprised that viewing figures were so high.
    After all, for people without Sky there was no option with blanket coverage on the bbc and itv.

It has felt like a bit of brainwashing over the past few days with all the media coverage, the sorrow, solemn tv newsreaders etc. I made a point of going out yesterday afternoon but even then at 3pm in M&S there was a minute’s silence for him. Why? His funeral was on tv. Why do retail stores feel obliged to do this? Some of us have no interest in paying our respect to someone we didn’t respect.

I turned off after they managed to get the coffin up those steps

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Yeah, it's definitely weird. Things is, there's already a big, long thread about Prince Philip and his funeral. The viewing figures are mentioned on there. LoM obviously wanted to draw further attention to them, so I'm wondering why? After all, they're not particularly impressive given the blanket coverage this event has received. So is he saying: "Look! Only 13.6 million people watched Philip's funeral!" Or is he saying: "13.6 million people watched Philip's funeral - isn't that amazing?" Or maybe he's trying to say something else?

I think we should be told.
    Life on Mars is a great one for “balance”, so I’m pretty confident that it’s because he thinks they’re impressive. Why he should be impressed when for every one in the UK who watched it, there were between three and four who didn’t is more of a mystery.

So, better not chance it then? What do you think would happen if we became a republic?
    It may well happen one day.

Not in my lifetime ( I am 67).

And it may all go very well.

But it will not necessarily be the Utopia that Tuerto and others looking forward to

It may well happen one day.

Not in my lifetime ( I am 67).

And it may all go very well.

But it will not necessarily be the Utopia that Tuerto and others looking forward to
    Why are you name checking me, you don't know what I want. That's upset me.

We could end up like the Federal Republic of Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    We could end up like the Federal Republic of Germany.
    Haven’t we had a German royal family for quite a few years

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Haven’t we had a German royal family for quite a few years
    Germany hasn't had a royal family for over a century.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Life on Mars is a great one for “balance”, so I’m pretty confident that it’s because he thinks they’re impressive. Why he should be impressed when for every one in the UK who watched it, there were between three and four who didn’t is more of a mystery.
    Is it because he's as stupid as fuuck?

International

The Kaiser was still alive at the start of WW2. The only reason he wasn't the head of Germany was because it was part of the treaty of Versailles. He was sent into exile in Holland and when they capitulated in WW2 the first thing Hitler did was send a battalion of SS Troops to mount a guard of honour on his house.
    And if you ever saw Queen Elizabeth in Germany you'd have no doubt that they consider her their queen too, stupid as it seems.

Probably would have been more if he'd died before non-essential shops had reopened.

I know, they live in Buckingham Palace

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    The Kaiser was still alive at the start of WW2. The only reason he wasn't the head of Germany was because it was part of the treaty of Versailles. He was sent into exile in Holland and when they capitulated in WW2 the first thing Hitler did was send a battalion of SS Troops to mount a guard of honour on his house.
    And if you ever saw Queen Elizabeth in Germany you'd have no doubt that they consider her their queen too, stupid as it seems.
    I used to live in Germany and I have maintained links with that country for over 45 years and I still listen, watch and read German media regularly - and I'm pretty certain that the average German considers no such thing.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    I'm not surprised that viewing figures were so high.
    After all, for people without Sky there was no option with blanket coverage on the bbc and itv.

BBC2? Channels 4 and 5?
    Freeview?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    You're a funny one is you. Right wing politically, a royalist it seems, yet you've said on here on occasion that growing up, you didn't have a pot to piss in, quite extreme poverty if i'm correct, a tough innings. You have my sympathy. Yet you champion those politically and an institution that belongs to an establishment which either directly or indirectly contributed towards your poverty, through the class system that they crave. You can obviously think what you like and align yourself to whoever or whatever you want, but can't you make the distinction between your situation historically and the the kind of people you support politically?
    Obviously not.

International

I used to live in Germany and I have maintained links with that country for over 45 years and I still listen, watch and read German media regularly - and I'm pretty certain that the average German considers no such thing.
    I did too and I believe they do, and I have seen them turning out to see her when she visits, far far more people than her in UK

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I did too and I believe they do, and I have seen them turning out to see her when she visits, far far more people than her in UK
    According to a 2015 survey carried out by 'Stern' only 9% of the Germans questioned opined that they would want a royal Head of State.