+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Super League - is it really a bad thing?

Super League - is it really a bad thing?

I may be out on my own here, but I think the reaction to the super league may be a bit of an over-reaction.

I can understand Eufa’s point – but this is their own fault – they should have seen this coming and altered the competitions to accommodate the “super” clubs – football has changed so much of the last 20-30 years but Eufa haven’t kept up – and now they stand to lose a hell of a lot of revenue.

The premier league itself has got a bit stale – apart from the top 4 clubs the most excitement is whether you’ll get relegated or not – only Leicester outside of the super clubs have won the PL since it’s inception 30 years ago. Now it could be a more exiting league like it used to be in the 60’s and 70’s when an array of clubs won it.
    Kick the top six out – let the bottom 3 stay in and the top 3 from the Championship go up – the championship then will also be exciting next year as well – hell we might stand a chance of going up!

The winners of the Super League could play the winners of the CL, or the CL changes it’s format to allow some sort of invitation to the SL.

The premier league broke away from the Football League 30 odd years ago – everyone said it was the end of football – but it wasn’t it actually took the game to another level – now it’s time to move on again.

Re: Super League - is it really a bad thing?

Blackburn?

I genuinely agree that the league would be better without super clubs - it skews everything. 2 ways to do that: boot them out, or put in place a salary cap so there is more of a level playing field.

They dont want to leave the PL though.

They want to play midweek and pocket all the additional revenue.

The League wont be better off without them. It will have a serious knock on affect.

However I dont see any other choice. They should be kicked out.

I've noticed that some people write Eufa. Why is that? Were they called this at some point in the past?

No I couldn't disagree more.
    The biggest clubs want to create a situation whereby they have such a financial advantage over everyone else that they can never be caught.

I also think you're completely wrong about the premier league being a bit stale, it is probably stronger and more competitive top to bottom than it has ever been. There was a period when for like 5 or 6 seasons, the same 4 teams got into the champions league places - Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Man U - and it didn't really seem possible that anyone else would be able to break into that group.
    That was stale.

Since then we have had the emergence of Man City, Leicester, Spurs, and perhaps even this year west ham or Everton.
    Nobody is guaranteed a permanent place in the champions league any more, there are only 4 places and there are at least 6 sides who's finances and ambitions dictate they need to be there.
    Terrified of the prospect of not qualifying for a few years and missing out on that income they want to change the game so that cannot happen, and all that money will always come to them

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    They dont want to leave the PL though.

They want to play midweek and pocket all the additional revenue.

The League wont be better off without them. It will have a serious knock on affect.

However I dont see any other choice. They should be kicked out.
    Yes they want to stay in the premier league, only have like 300million more to spend each season than anyone else - that doesn't seem much fun for any of the also rans.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Blackburn?
    Oh, yeah forgot about them - 35 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    The biggest clubs want to create a situation whereby they have such a financial advantage over everyone else that they can never be caught.

I also think you're completely wrong about the premier league being a bit stale, it is probably stronger and more competitive top to bottom than it has ever been. There was a period when for like 5 or 6 seasons, the same 4 teams got into the champions league places - Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Man U - and it didn't really seem possible that anyone else would be able to break into that group.
    That was stale.

Since then we have had the emergence of Man City, Leicester, Spurs, and perhaps even this year west ham or Everton.
    Nobody is guaranteed a permanent place in the champions league any more, there are only 4 places and there are at least 6 sides who's finances and ambitions dictate they need to be there.
    Terrified of the prospect of not qualifying for a few years and missing out on that income they want to change the game so that cannot happen, and all that money will always come to them
    I remember back around 2000 when Man Utd and Arsenal were so far ahead of everyone else - players, managers, finances, the whole set up - that it seemed like it would be impossible for any club to challenge them in the foreseeable.

Then came Chelsea with the oligarch money and clubs realised that was the secret, and there was a race for the billionaires.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

That was stale.

Yes they do want to stay in the PL - but if they get removed it's not the end of the world - if they stay then, yes I agree your scenario is valid - however you can sort of see it from the clubs point of view - a team like Liverpool won't get into the PL next year, whereas TNS will....

Kick em out

They want their cake and they want all of it

They don't give a toss about the rest of football

Tell me to **** off

It was heartening to see Liverpool fans put banners up outside anfield yesterday condemning their clubs actions

Good on em and the United and Spurs fans interviewed outside their grounds

The Premier league hasn't transformed football , its just created an elite

I hope the fans of the big clubs rise up and tell them to do one

But I think after a while everyone will fall in line

The formation of the Premier league was a portent for the shit show that is on its way

Stick it up your arse , greedy self serving bastards

The biggest 6 clubs in England have enjoyed lax financial rules to beat out competition in England (also in Spain and Italy) and therefore should be rewarded by creating/controlling a competition which will create even greater inequality?

Barcelona want it because they're worried about debt; Juve want it because they're worried about Atalanta over-taking them; Spurs want it because they're good with money but bad with football; Arsenal want it because they're at risk of becoming a mid-table side....

Owners of these clubs want to:

i) restrict competition to reduce the risk of a Leicester City like season
    ii) prevent financial risk of sustained bad decisions
    iii) create even greater wealth for themselves
    iv) break from current fanbase and responsibility to local area

It's an extreme version of what they currently have and what is being suggested by UEFA - neither of these are great and have several issues.

United and Liverpool are huge clubs on the European stage

But spurs lol

Them , Chelsea, Arsenal , Man City etc are feck all nobodies

It is the first step on the way to an NFL style franchise "super club" system, worldwide TV audiences supporting "brand" football clubs playing in stadium not connected to their historical roots.
    Just imagine, Chelsea not playing in Chelsea, Manchester United not playing in Manchester, Arsenal not playing at an Arsenal, Anfield being rented out to a new side - whatever next!

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    It is the first step on the way to an NFL style franchise "super club" system, worldwide TV audiences supporting "brand" football clubs playing in stadium not connected to their historical roots.
    Just imagine, Chelsea not playing in Chelsea, Manchester United not playing in Manchester, Arsenal not playing at an Arsenal, Anfield being rented out to a new side - whatever next!
    perfect for the armchair fans from Surrey

but genuine working class supporters of the big clubs , living locally to them may as well not exist ......and this will nail it

I remember back around 2000 when Man Utd and Arsenal were so far ahead of everyone else - players, managers, finances, the whole set up - that it seemed like it would be impossible for any club to challenge them in the foreseeable.
    Arsenal are an example of where premier league status and London status has ensured they're never too far away from massive wealth and success, however if they have another five years of bad decision making they risk becoming seen as a midtable side. Sustained bad decision making currently has consequences (and Leicester making sustained good decisions has potential for reward) in current system. This proposal damages that possibility.

however you can sort of see it from the clubs point of view - a team like Liverpool won't get into the PL next year, whereas TNS will....
    That's fixed by revamped Champions League where sustained success creates a safety net - not the best solution - but this goes even further. And why shouldn't Connahs Quay Nomads/TNS get into Champions League qualifiers if they win their league and Liverpool fail to get in if they don't finish in top 4/win the Europa league/win the champions league?

i) Do you see how many more (realistic) chances Liverpool have already?
    ii) Much of Liverpool's success up to this point has been based on taking best players from north Wales and other smaller European countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    Yes they do want to stay in the PL - but if they get removed it's not the end of the world - if they stay then, yes I agree your scenario is valid - however you can sort of see it from the clubs point of view - a team like Liverpool won't get into the PL next year, whereas TNS will....
    why should they? because theyve got a lot of money?

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    I think you are right - for those clubs it will end up NFL style - Oakland moved to Las Vegas - about 600 miles away - you could see the Manchester Clubs perhaps buying or building Wembley and setting up shop there.

I think you are right - for those clubs it will end up NFL style - Oakland moved to Las Vegas - about 600 miles away - you could see the Manchester Clubs perhaps buying or building Wembley and setting up shop there.
    Is Manchester big enough for two clubs? Can London accommodate a fourth? Oh look, New York isn't that far a distance away on a plane...

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Is Manchester big enough for two clubs? Can London accommodate a fourth? Oh look, New York isn't that far a distance away on a plane...
    New York would be a lot nearer if Concorde was still flying!

As to to OP question it is a bad thing, promoting more greed to the so-called Big Clubs, they have no interest in anyone but themselves. Perez of Greedy Madrid proved that with his statement.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    United and Liverpool are huge clubs on the European stage

But spurs lol

Them , Chelsea, Arsenal , Man City etc are feck all nobodies
    I disagree with this. All clubs need wealth for success. Man City are certainly no longer nobodies and the so called bigger clubs like Liverpool and United dont like it one bit.

The SL though is a disgrace. No thought to the rest of the clubs throughout the leagues.

The League wont be better off without them but I think booting them out is the only option if they pursue it.

I may be out on my own here, but I think the reaction to the super league may be a bit of an over-reaction.

I can understand Eufa’s point – but this is their own fault – they should have seen this coming and altered the competitions to accommodate the “super” clubs – football has changed so much of the last 20-30 years but Eufa haven’t kept up – and now they stand to lose a hell of a lot of revenue.

The premier league itself has got a bit stale – apart from the top 4 clubs the most excitement is whether you’ll get relegated or not – only Leicester outside of the super clubs have won the PL since it’s inception 30 years ago. Now it could be a more exiting league like it used to be in the 60’s and 70’s when an array of clubs won it.
    Kick the top six out – let the bottom 3 stay in and the top 3 from the Championship go up – the championship then will also be exciting next year as well – hell we might stand a chance of going up!

The winners of the Super League could play the winners of the CL, or the CL changes it’s format to allow some sort of invitation to the SL.

The premier league broke away from the Football League 30 odd years ago – everyone said it was the end of football – but it wasn’t it actually took the game to another level – now it’s time to move on again.
    The very big difference here is that the creation of the Premier League did not adversely affect the pyramid system and promotion/relegation based on performance. They were clever enough to realise that was the over riding issue that needed to be retained to maintain the integrity of the competition. The creation of the super league drives a horse and cart through that principle. The inaugural fifteen clubs will be in it no matter how they perform and THEY will decide who the other five ‘invitees’ will be on an annual basis, most likely only based on their ability to generate income and size of stadium i.e nothing to do with how they perform on the pitch. It is nothing more than a cabal based on monetary greed. Also don't forget that this doesn't just affect the UK - the Premier League model doesn't exist in Spain, Italy etc.

Along with many, I suspect, there's a part of me that hopes this goes through. Football is already becoming 'soccerball', and to see it self-destruct in an orgy of greed would be quite satisfying.

The argument is that they aren't making enough money. They are in control of how much they offer in fees and wages though! I would say fine, if you can't stay within your means we will force salary caps across the board. It will make it much fairer for everyone.

The proposed system would mean the 'Super 6' pocket a load of extra money and if they stay in the PL as planned then it will just become even more predictable than it already is.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I disagree with this. All clubs need wealth for success. Man City are certainly no longer nobodies and the so called bigger clubs like Liverpool and United dont like it one bit.

The SL though is a disgrace. No thought to the rest of the clubs throughout the leagues.

The League wont be better off without them but I think booting them out is the only option if they pursue it.
    Liverpool and United have a long history of European glory

Spurs , Chelsea , Man City , Arsenal don't