+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Super League - is it really a bad thing?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Super League - is it really a bad thing?

No I couldn't disagree more.
    The biggest clubs want to create a situation whereby they have such a financial advantage over everyone else that they can never be caught.

I also think you're completely wrong about the premier league being a bit stale, it is probably stronger and more competitive top to bottom than it has ever been. There was a period when for like 5 or 6 seasons, the same 4 teams got into the champions league places - Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Man U - and it didn't really seem possible that anyone else would be able to break into that group.
    That was stale.

Since then we have had the emergence of Man City, Leicester, Spurs, and perhaps even this year west ham or Everton.
    Nobody is guaranteed a permanent place in the champions league any more, there are only 4 places and there are at least 6 sides who's finances and ambitions dictate they need to be there.
    Terrified of the prospect of not qualifying for a few years and missing out on that income they want to change the game so that cannot happen, and all that money will always come to them

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    The biggest clubs want to create a situation whereby they have such a financial advantage over everyone else that they can never be caught.

I also think you're completely wrong about the premier league being a bit stale, it is probably stronger and more competitive top to bottom than it has ever been. There was a period when for like 5 or 6 seasons, the same 4 teams got into the champions league places - Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Man U - and it didn't really seem possible that anyone else would be able to break into that group.
    That was stale.

Since then we have had the emergence of Man City, Leicester, Spurs, and perhaps even this year west ham or Everton.
    Nobody is guaranteed a permanent place in the champions league any more, there are only 4 places and there are at least 6 sides who's finances and ambitions dictate they need to be there.
    Terrified of the prospect of not qualifying for a few years and missing out on that income they want to change the game so that cannot happen, and all that money will always come to them
    I remember back around 2000 when Man Utd and Arsenal were so far ahead of everyone else - players, managers, finances, the whole set up - that it seemed like it would be impossible for any club to challenge them in the foreseeable.

Then came Chelsea with the oligarch money and clubs realised that was the secret, and there was a race for the billionaires.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

That was stale.

Yes they do want to stay in the PL - but if they get removed it's not the end of the world - if they stay then, yes I agree your scenario is valid - however you can sort of see it from the clubs point of view - a team like Liverpool won't get into the PL next year, whereas TNS will....

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    Yes they do want to stay in the PL - but if they get removed it's not the end of the world - if they stay then, yes I agree your scenario is valid - however you can sort of see it from the clubs point of view - a team like Liverpool won't get into the PL next year, whereas TNS will....
    why should they? because theyve got a lot of money?

Because TNS would have earned their place in the competition. That's the point of sport, teams don't have a God given right to play in these competitions, they have to earn it.

Arsenal for instance already have massive advantage but have squandered it through poor decision making, why should they be rewarded for poor decisions and another club (Leicester) punished for consistent good decision making and performance?

The biggest 6 clubs in England have enjoyed lax financial rules to beat out competition in England (also in Spain and Italy) and therefore should be rewarded by creating/controlling a competition which will create even greater inequality?

Barcelona want it because they're worried about debt; Juve want it because they're worried about Atalanta over-taking them; Spurs want it because they're good with money but bad with football; Arsenal want it because they're at risk of becoming a mid-table side....

Owners of these clubs want to:

i) restrict competition to reduce the risk of a Leicester City like season
    ii) prevent financial risk of sustained bad decisions
    iii) create even greater wealth for themselves
    iv) break from current fanbase and responsibility to local area

It's an extreme version of what they currently have and what is being suggested by UEFA - neither of these are great and have several issues.

It is the first step on the way to an NFL style franchise "super club" system, worldwide TV audiences supporting "brand" football clubs playing in stadium not connected to their historical roots.
    Just imagine, Chelsea not playing in Chelsea, Manchester United not playing in Manchester, Arsenal not playing at an Arsenal, Anfield being rented out to a new side - whatever next!

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    It is the first step on the way to an NFL style franchise "super club" system, worldwide TV audiences supporting "brand" football clubs playing in stadium not connected to their historical roots.
    Just imagine, Chelsea not playing in Chelsea, Manchester United not playing in Manchester, Arsenal not playing at an Arsenal, Anfield being rented out to a new side - whatever next!
    I think you are right - for those clubs it will end up NFL style - Oakland moved to Las Vegas - about 600 miles away - you could see the Manchester Clubs perhaps buying or building Wembley and setting up shop there.

I think you are right - for those clubs it will end up NFL style - Oakland moved to Las Vegas - about 600 miles away - you could see the Manchester Clubs perhaps buying or building Wembley and setting up shop there.
    Is Manchester big enough for two clubs? Can London accommodate a fourth? Oh look, New York isn't that far a distance away on a plane...

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Is Manchester big enough for two clubs? Can London accommodate a fourth? Oh look, New York isn't that far a distance away on a plane...
    New York would be a lot nearer if Concorde was still flying!

As to to OP question it is a bad thing, promoting more greed to the so-called Big Clubs, they have no interest in anyone but themselves. Perez of Greedy Madrid proved that with his statement.

Yes, it would indeed be a very bad thing.

A European Super League in the format that has been suggested would greatly devalue the Premier League, which would in turn greatly devalue the Championship and the rest of the English pyramid. It would kill off the League Cup (maybe not such a bad thing) and the FA Cup (a very bad thing). It would greatly devalue the Spanish and Italian domestic leagues and it would pretty much kill off European club football as we know it.

It would also be very, very boring.

It is an idea that has no upsides whatsoever.

If this does go through and they kick the 6 teams out if the PL, great. But it will mean much less cash from broadcasters in the future and will inevitably mean some clubs going to the wall, even if salary caps etc are introduced.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    There is only one club in Manchester, the other one plays in the neighbouring city of Salford.