+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Who is this City player?

Who is this City player?

This story came up on the Google News feed, and I've attached the link, because I can't copy the picture. Scroll down the article till you reach the picture of Andy Rankin, with an unknown City player stood behind him. Can't say I've ever seen a shirt like that, either...

https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/ne...keepers-1970s/

Re: Who is this City player?

Could only have been in the 69-70 or 70-71 seasons, as far as I can tell.

I've never seen that kit before. Are you sure it is City? Looks like late 70s/ early 80s to me.

That's what caught my eye. I didn't recognise the shirt, but what else could it be?
    Thought if someone could identify the player it might help. In fact, the other guy (right behind Rankin) is also a City player. Anyone recognise those two?

Check out the Watford Hornet on Steve Sherwoods shirt, 2nd photo down

You might be right on the dates, I have no idea, but I can see we played them during the 80-81 season, and we also had Umbro shirts at that time as well..

I think that could be a Walsall shirt.

The bluebird could in fact be a downturned red swift. Look at the angle of it.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post

yep looks like their kit from late 70s.

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Walsall/Walsall.htm

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post

Well spotted. Definitely not a City kit.

I must be missing something because I don't get where the assumption that it was City that Watford were playing in that photo of Rankin has come from. There is no mention of who the opposition is in the article as far as I can see and just reading the piece tells you that Rankin signed for Watford in November 1971, staying with them for what looks like five years. That picture was clearly not taken at Ninian Park, so, if City were the opposition, the match must have been at Vicarage Road and yet we didn't play on that ground between September 1971 and September 1979 - the only time Rankin played for Watford against us was in December 1971 at Ninian Park in a game we won 2-0.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I must be missing something because I don't get where the assumption that it was City that Watford were playing in that photo of Rankin has come from. There is no mention of who the opposition is in the article as far as I can see and just reading the piece tells you that Rankin signed for Watford in November 1971, staying with them for what looks like five years. That picture was clearly not taken at Ninian Park, so, if City were the opposition, the match must have been at Vicarage Road and yet we didn't play on that ground between September 1971 and September 1979 - the only time Rankin played for Watford against us was in December 1971 at Ninian Park in a game we won 2-0.
    I think it was just the badge that makes you think it's city - and the fact the photo is in b&w the kit does look like it could be blue.

Glad we got to the bottom of that. It was the badge that threw me off the trail.
    Well done to Blue lewj for spotting it was probably Walsall.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    I think it was just the badge that makes you think it's city - and the fact the photo is in b&w the kit does look like it could be blue.
    Looks red in my black & white photo

I think Bob, what you have missed is that not everyone has swallowed Biff's sports Almanac like your good self.

Rankin was actually with Watford for nine years and played for them against us in a 1-1 draw at Vicarage Road in September 1979. However, we definitely played in the classic 1970's all-blue with yellow and white stripes that day. I was there and still remember Gary Stevens' last-minute equaliser.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    I think Bob, what you have missed is that not everyone has swallowed Biff's sports Almanac like your good self.

Just think, if you had Biff's sports almanac in your hands right now it would be worthless.