+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another point at a promotion chasing club for Cardiff City despite Smithies’ howler.

Another point at a promotion chasing club for Cardiff City despite Smithies’ howler.

City again show there's not a lot wrong with their away form this season.

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Re: Another point at a promotion chasing club for Cardiff City despite Smithies’ howler.

What did you think of Brown and Ralls' performance? From Walesonline:

Ciaron Brown 8 (star man)

A really, really impressive outing from the defender. Against one of the best players in the league, he kept Ivan Toney quiet all night. A coming-of-age display from him.

Joe Ralls 6

Neat and tidy in possession and tried to add to the attack when he could.
    Not sure I'd say as high as 8 but Brown did well against best opposition he's faced so far. Ralls must be desperate to get back into CM because, although he's worked hard, he's not shined in any of his alternative positions and so far this year his/our circumstances are fitting perfectly into the venn diagram of outward transfer activity: player likely to generate interest and decent offers from other clubs, increasing perception he won't be missed, club needing to sell to minimise hit of shrinking budget.

Re: Another point at a promotion chasing club for Cardiff City despite Smithies’ howler.

Away record against the top five (ten points):

L 0-2 v Norwich
    W 1-0 v Watford
    W 1-0 v Swansea
    D 1-1 v Brentford
    W 2-1 v Bournemouth

Away record against the bottom five (five points):

L 1-2 v Wycombe
    L 0-5 v Sheffield Wednesday
    W 2-1 v Rotherham
    D 1-1 v Derby
    D 0-0 v Huddersfield

Bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    What did you think of Brown and Ralls' performance? From Walesonline:

Not sure I'd say as high as 8 but Brown did well against best opposition he's faced so far. Ralls must be desperate to get back into CM because, although he's worked hard, he's not shined in any of his alternative positions and so far this year his/our circumstances are fitting perfectly into the venn diagram of outward transfer activity: player likely to generate interest and decent offers from other clubs, increasing perception he won't be missed, club needing to sell to minimise hit of shrinking budget.
    I'd say seven for Brown who I think has played well in the last two matches. As for Ralls, I'd rate him as the best of our four central midfielders, but he's not been this season (I'd say that honour goes to Vaulks). Being shunted about all over the place in a similar manner to Bacuna, has not helped Joe, but, even allowing for that, he's not been his normal self this season - he was someone who used to miss very few games with injury, but lately he's had a few of them and I wonder if his drop off in form has something to do with him struggling for fitness?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

L 0-2 v Norwich
    W 1-0 v Watford
    W 1-0 v Swansea
    D 1-1 v Brentford
    W 2-1 v Bournemouth

L 1-2 v Wycombe
    W 2-1 v Rotherham
    D 1-1 v Derby
    D 0-0 v Huddersfield

Bizarre.
    We were lucky to draw with Huddersfield as well and somewhat fortunate to beat Rotherham. I reckon if you asked a Sheffield Wednesday to name their club's two easiest games of the season, their reply could well be that they were both against Cardiff.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    We were lucky to draw with Huddersfield as well and somewhat fortunate to beat Rotherham. I reckon if you asked a Sheffield Wednesday to name their club's two easiest games of the season, their reply could well be that they were both against Cardiff.
    City under Mick McCarthy have won one of their last nine games, picking up just eight points in the process.

The team won three of their last nine league games under Neil Harris, picking up nine points.

City now need to win their last three games to beat the points total achieved by Russell Slade's team in 2015/16. That's something to ponder given the pre-season expectations following the signings of Moore and Wilson.

City under Mick McCarthy have won one of their last nine games, picking up just eight points in the process.

The team won three of their last nine league games under Neil Harris, picking up nine points.

City now need to win their last three games to beat the points total achieved by Russell Slade's team in 2015/16. That's something to ponder given the pre-season expectations following the signings of Moore and Wilson.
    Selective data cherry picking if ever I saw it. Why not look at Mick McCarthy’s overall record since he got here - 8 wins, 8 draws and only 3 losses in the 19 games under his charge or to put it another way - 32 points out of the 57 on offer. Not top two form certainly but hardly shabby. A few too many draws obviously but we could easily (and should have) won the last 3 games. We would then have had 38 points out of 57 or 2 points a game which is pretty much promotion form over a whole season.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    A few too many draws obviously but we could easily (and should have) won the last 3 games. We would then have had 38 points out of 57 or 2 points a game which is pretty much promotion form over a whole season.
    Selective data cherry picking there if ever I saw it. City could easily have lost in some of the games McCarthy has picked up a point in, and could easily have drawn some of those they've won.

Bristol City are the side I dislike the most out of the ones we play on a regular basis, but I never get too upset by them being near the top of the table because I know that theyhave been just about the most streaky team in all four divisions over the past few years and so a fall is coming soon. I'm afraid that we've been doing a pretty good impression of the wurzels in recent months with a run of five wins in six (including four consecutively), followed by six losses on the trot, then a couple of draws, six more wins, and now two wins in eleven games - we used to be pretty boring but consistent grinders who tended to churn out the wins, now we've become like Dave Jones' "feast or famine" teams except that, unlike them, we're still pretty boring.

L 0-2 v Norwich
    W 1-0 v Watford
    W 1-0 v Swansea
    D 1-1 v Brentford
    W 2-1 v Bournemouth

L 1-2 v Wycombe
    W 2-1 v Rotherham
    D 1-1 v Derby
    D 0-0 v Huddersfield

Bizarre.
    Just supports the theories the Championship is not one to bet on , and is very competitive league .

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I'd say seven for Brown who I think has played well in the last two matches. As for Ralls, I'd rate him as the best of our four central midfielders, but he's not been this season (I'd say that honour goes to Vaulks). Being shunted about all over the place in a similar manner to Bacuna, has not helped Joe, but, even allowing for that, he's not been his normal self this season - he was someone who used to miss very few games with injury, but lately he's had a few of them and I wonder if his drop off in form has something to do with him struggling for fitness?
    I'd agree with that, but other clubs are also going to see him as our best CM also which is why he's the one most likely to generate interest and a decent fee.

I still don't see how we revamp our midfield without moving at least one on, or changing their position (tried it with Ralls, tried it with Bacuna) or paying a good chunk of the budget to have at least one sitting on the bench/in the stands.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Selective data cherry picking if ever I saw it. Why not look at Mick McCarthy’s overall record since he got here - 8 wins, 8 draws and only 3 losses in the 19 games under his charge or to put it another way - 32 points out of the 57 on offer. Not top two form certainly but hardly shabby. A few too many draws obviously but we could easily (and should have) won the last 3 games. We would then have had 38 points out of 57 or 2 points a game which is pretty much promotion form over a whole season.
    Quite

Selective data cherry picking there if ever I saw it. City could easily have lost in some of the games McCarthy has picked up a point in, and could easily have drawn some of those they've won.
    But equally they could have won, lost or drawn any game that they have ever played.

L 0-2 v Norwich
    W 1-0 v Watford
    W 1-0 v Swansea
    D 1-1 v Brentford
    W 2-1 v Bournemouth

L 1-2 v Wycombe
    W 2-1 v Rotherham
    D 1-1 v Derby
    D 0-0 v Huddersfield

Bizarre.
    Our "style" is probably best suited for away games against top teams shere there's no real expectation to go forward and we can block shots to our heart's content. Away to poorer sides requires some attackingbplay, we're not very good at that. All of the goals against the top 5 came from set pieces

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Quite

Here he is, the man who will simply not accept that the current lot are generally no better to watch now than they were under Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Our "style" is probably best suited for away games against top teams where there's no real expectation to go forward and we can block shots to our heart's content. Away to poorer sides requires some attacking play, we're not very good at that. All of the goals against the top 5 came from set pieces
    I'm sure you're right. The possession stats in the relevant games certainly bear that theory out.

L 0-2 v Norwich
    W 1-0 v Watford
    W 1-0 v Swansea
    D 1-1 v Brentford
    W 2-1 v Bournemouth

L 1-2 v Wycombe
    W 2-1 v Rotherham
    D 1-1 v Derby
    D 0-0 v Huddersfield

Bizarre.
    Wycombe - Morrison off injured on 20 mins
    Wednesday - Morrison injured not in starting line-up
    Derby - Bagan off injured and replaced by Brown on 38 minutes

Morrison is one of the most threatening players in opposition box and best CB at passing the ball which gives an outlet/calmness at the back - losing a LWB and replacing them with a CB who (at least at the time) struggled to pass also has knock-on effect on latter. Too much pressure invited and less likely to steal a point from set-piece in 3 of those 5 games due to balance of the back line.

Based on the average points per game so far under MM, that would yield 77 points over a full season. Which would likely be enough for a 6th or 7th position in most seasons.
    I’m sure the PPG will improve slightly too with the last 3 games.

Let’s see what he can do over the course of season before we become too judgemental now.

Neither Bagan nor Brown played in the game at Derby.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    But equally they could have won, lost or drawn any game that they have ever played.
    Genius.

If Vaulks has been our best midfielder this season then its not hard to look where the issue is.

I really dont get why successive managers think Ralls is an attacking midfielder. Unless they think hes needed nearer the the attack as hes the best option to defend from the front or to battle for the 2nd ball and win the scraps.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    If Vaulks has been our best midfielder this season then its not hard to look where the issue is.

I really dont get why successive managers think Ralls is an attacking midfielder. Unless they think hes needed nearer the the attack as hes the best option to defend from the front or to battle for the 2nd ball and win the scraps.
    He's one of our most productive players in terms of goals and assists.

Morrison is one of the most threatening players in opposition box and best CB at passing the ball which gives an outlet/calmness at the back - losing a LWB and replacing them with a CB who (at least at the time) struggled to pass also has knock-on effect on latter. Too much pressure invited and less likely to steal a point from set-piece in 3 of those 5 games due to balance of the back line.
    That was Huddersfield wasn't it?

Vaulks could be useful for Wales to take to the Euros, as an option from the 11 man bench.
    We all know what he is capable of and has produced for the City.

But as he never made the last squad I can’t see him being in the reckoning now.

Almost all fans malign Russell Slade but he did well in his only full season here. With hardly any money compared to what we spend now. He did buy Stuart O'Keefe though for a reported £750k, and Revell, Doyle, Peltier and the 'unforgettable' Gabriel Tamas and a host of loan signings. And the club sold Mason for £3.5m in that season 2015/16, and Kenwynne Jones too. So he did really well. The football was boring, but there again it was under Warnock, Harris and McCarthy- even when we were winning. And over 30 players left the club during his season and a half.

I'm not fan of his but his achievement, with the squad he had , and the lack of money is decent.