+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Train Station Worker in Swansea accused of sexism

Train Station Worker in Swansea accused of sexism

I think this is an interesting debate. Guy who works there goes to open a door for a lady and tells her it needs "a man's touch". Woman reported him for it.

It's that old can of worms about being easily offended and the battle of the sexes. I have no doubts the guy had every best intention. Most women wouldn't have cared a bit about his comment. Does that make it ok?

I've been thinking about this. I've been told by some women that I can't do this or that properly as I'm a man, usually tasks that are more traditionally done at home by women. One example, last year I was baking something I'd never tried, it didn't work that well and was old to get advice from a woman on baking. Bollocks, of course, men make excellent cooks and bakers too. I've never seen the need for either sex to try and outdo the other, so I can see the annoyance the train station worker's comment could have caused.

For me it's a very fine line. The worker could have simply offered to open the door with no need to mention gender. I don't think it was worth reporting. People can be unintentionally offended and upset by things.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...-door-20427510

International

Re: Train Station Worker in Swansea accused of sexism

Why open the door??Let her open the fecking thing herself!!

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Why open the door??Let her open the fecking thing herself!!
    This. It's the age of equality remember.

Just a few questions spring to mind:

Was he just being polite to his customer but the words used ill-advised?

Perhaps he was hitting on her and if so, should she have taken this as a compliment?

Are women more easily offended than men, or is this a sweeping generalisation?

Is chivalry dead?

Is it all bollocks?

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Just a few questions spring to mind:

Was he just being polite to his customer but the words used ill-advised?

Perhaps he was hitting on her and if so, should she have taken this as a compliment?

Are women more easily offended than men, or is this a sweeping generalisation?

Is chivalry dead?

Is it all bollocks?
    Yes to the last three questions.

I can see why she may not have taken kindly to it, especially in the woke world we live, why even bother saying it.

He clearly meant it as a joke though and meant no malice, one of those where most people don't think twice about it but always a few that will let it bother them.

A calm response to him there and then and I'm sure he would have apologised and all would have been resolved.

She must be fun at parties.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    She must be fun at parties.
    No one knows, she can't get in.

Imagine being offended by that, world's gone mad.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I think this is an interesting debate. Guy who works there goes to open a door for a lady and tells her it needs "a man's touch". Woman reported him for it.

It's that old can of worms about being easily offended and the battle of the sexes. I have no doubts the guy had every best intention. Most women wouldn't have cared a bit about his comment. Does that make it ok?

I've been thinking about this. I've been told by some women that I can't do this or that properly as I'm a man, usually tasks that are more traditionally done at home by women. One example, last year I was baking something I'd never tried, it didn't work that well and was old to get advice from a woman on baking. Bollocks, of course, men make excellent cooks and bakers too. I've never seen the need for either sex to try and outdo the other, so I can see the annoyance the train station worker's comment could have caused.

For me it's a very fine line. The worker could have simply offered to open the door with no need to mention gender. I don't think it was worth reporting. People can be unintentionally offended and upset by things.

As Ted Hastings would say “Mother of God”

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Imagine being offended by that, world's gone mad.
    Imagine he said that only a man was capable of doing it? Isn't what he said virtually the same thing?

Whats the betting she looks like Millie Tant from Viz?

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    No one knows, she can't get in.
    That made me smile 👍

It's a bit of a crap think to say, How many on here would admit to saying something like that? It's a bit cringy, but that's it in my opinion. If the bloke had said something like that to my missus, she'd have told him to piss off, game over i think. Why it has to be drawn out on social media, where the tone of writing sounds so official and non forgiving, due to the fact that there is no human tone or expression, just makes it sound worse. The bloke shouldn't have said it, it's David Brent and Alan Partridge rolled into one, and both of those characters were a bit sexist.

if it was her back door then i can understand her annoyance

Would the lady in question have written a complaint if the guard in question had not attempted to help , a refund or compensation is probably on its way .

I just hope the man in question doesn't lose his job and we move on ?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Would the lady in question have written a complaint if the guard in question had not attempted to help , a refund or compensation is probably on its way .

I just hope the man in question doesn't lose his job and we move on ?
    He wont lose his job. Some dick in a pair of black leather pointy shoes and a bad haircut will tell him not to do it again, then they'll all have a good laugh about it on the works night out...

I bet she's a right sort

Another snowflake student type who thinks it's cool to be offended by everything
    Real people would not be offended by what he said.
    Her type just love to complain and make a song and dance about nothing .
    We had a lad working with us who was the same he didn't last long. He even made a complaint about someone breaking wind whilst having a crap in the next toilet cubicle to him

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    Another snowflake student type who thinks it's cool to be offended by everything
    Real people would not be offended by what he said.
    Yes, being offended is always the fault of the person being offended....

https://youtu.be/NBGOryiqZZI

This sketch was tailor made for this thread

I don’t know what’s most pathetic.

The person taking offence at such an innocuous comment.

The story making our national media.

Eric starting a thread on it with an 100+ word opening post.

Me reading this thread and commenting on it.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I don’t know what’s most pathetic.

The person taking offence at such an innocuous comment.

The story making our national media.

Eric starting a thread on it with an 100+ word opening post.

Me reading this thread and commenting on it.
    Your acknowledgement that it's ok for a man to tell a woman that he needs to do a job she can't....

Your acknowledgement that it's ok for a man to tell a woman that he needs to do a job she can't....
    A job 😂 He merely opened a door for her and attempted to inject some humour.