+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Watters Waste

Watters Waste

That's an Ian Dury and the Blockheads pun before anyone asks...

I think the fact that Mick McCarthy hasn't given Max Watters a single minute on the pitch in recent weeks speaks volumes. Yesterday's game against bottom-of-the-table Wycombe looked an obvious opportunity to give Watters some first team game time, but McCarthy left him sitting on the bench.

Since signing for City in January in a deal reported to be worth £1 million, Watters has started just one game (the 0-1 defeat to QPR, during which he was subbed after 55 minutes and after which Neil Harris was sacked). Under Mick McCarthy, the player has made just two sub appearances - he was brought on for 16 minutes at Luton with the side already 2-0 up, and at Sheffield Wednesday for 18 minutes with the score at 5-0 to the hosts.

Watters has recently turned 22 years of age, so he has time on his side. However, it looks increasingly likely that McCarthy simply doesn't rate him.

Re: Watters Waste

It's a strange one, especially considering now the season is done. Hopefully he will get some minutes over the next couple.

Moore has hit 20 now, let him rest the bench a bit and give Colwill more time, give Watters a chance and of course Mark Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    It's a strange one, especially considering now the season is done. Hopefully he will get some minutes over the next couple.
    Next week's game at Birmingham is an obvious opportunity - there's literally nothing on that one. I suspect McCarthy will start with Moore again, though.

I haven't seen him play but wonder if he was scouted and bought when Harris was playing Glatzel and Moore up top together as an upgrade on the former? The suggestion on Twitter was that he's best used in a two based on his small sample size at that time.

MM hasn't played that system so Watters hasn't been used much beyond some minutes against Wednesday and Luton.

He's also not played much football at league level so was potentially always thought of as a player for next year onwards rather than being immediately ready this season.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I haven't seen him play......
    I watched the Luton and Sheffield games on Sky. I can vaguely remember him coming on at Kenilworth Road, but I didn't realise he'd been brought on at Sheffield until I checked his stats this morning. I don't recall him doing anything of note in either game, so I've no idea what sort of player he is.

If he does get picked instead of Moore and we continue to play as if Moore was still playing then, from what very little I have seen of Waters, he is going to struggle. It would be very demoralising for him to get a chance in a style of play he may not be suited to. I don’t suppose for a moment we are going to change the way we play for the last couple of games or even next season so it’s difficult to envisage what sort of role he will have in our current style.

I have e a feeling he will be loaned out to Division 2 next season. But he hasn't really had a chance here yet. And if Jonny Williams can't break in to this team there's not much hope for him either.

We may need 3 new strikers if Moore gets sold.

Watters has done all he could to get noticed when he’s played for the Deveopment team as well - I think it’s something like five goals in three games.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    We may need 3 new strikers if Moore gets sold.
    I’ve been thinking about this as well.

I wonder see if the plan is to sell Moore and use the funds to put together a “promotion chasing” team.

Being McCarthy, it’ll be a team of cloggers. He could get some value down at Weston.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Watters has done all he could to get noticed when he’s played for the Deveopment team as well - I think it’s something like five goals in three games.
    Glad he's having MAXimum impact.

He should have played yesterday.

Odd signing as can't imagine Harris using him either the way he tried to set up. MM clearly has no interest in him.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    That's an Ian Dury and the Blockheads pun before anyone asks...

I think the fact that Mick McCarthy hasn't given Max Watters a single minute on the pitch in recent weeks speaks volumes. Yesterday's game against bottom-of-the-table Wycombe looked an obvious opportunity to give Watters some first team game time, but McCarthy left him sitting on the bench.

Since signing for City in January in a deal reported to be worth £1 million, Watters has started just one game (the 0-1 defeat to QPR, during which he was subbed after 55 minutes and after which Neil Harris was sacked). Under Mick McCarthy, the player has made just two sub appearances - he was brought on for 16 minutes at Luton with the side already 2-0 up, and at Sheffield Wednesday for 18 minutes with the score at 5-0 to the hosts.

Watters has recently turned 22 years of age, so he has time on his side. However, it looks increasingly likely that McCarthy simply doesn't rate him.
    Perhaps he needs New Boots and Panties !!

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Perhaps he needs New Boots and Panties !!
    If he doesn't gain a regular place in the starting line up, it may well be a case of Sex and Drugs and Rock and Roll for the poor lad!