+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Departing Wilson hits glorious hat trick as City end away programme on winning note.

Departing Wilson hits glorious hat trick as City end away programme on winning note.

Mick McCarthy offers possible clue as to what's to come in 21/22?

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Re: Departing Wilson hits glorious hat trick as City end away programme on winning note.

Mick's post match interview gave further clues about what is to come next season. He was very clear that he sees Williams (new contract surely guaranteed) and Colwill playing the Harry Wilson role - and he will not be prioritising that position in the summer window.

Playing Pack in the back three - with all the caveats about not being tested that you gave - shows that he knows the lack of passing accuracy and comfort in possession has been a problem. If Pack drops back permanently (hopefully not a sign that Mick expects there to be serious interest in Morrison) that may give him the opportunity to do something in central midfield?

It is disappointing that none of the u23 subs got on the pitch, but I think Mick is genuine about wanting to give youth players a chance. At least I feel more confident that some of them will make it under him than under the previous two managers or Slade (Paul Trollope might have been good for youth too if he had survived). This season we have seen serious pitch time for Bagan, Harris, Sang, Brown and Colwill - with only Brown having proper first team experience on loan. Half a dozen others have been on the bench, and the whole u23 squad has been training with the first team on a regular basis. That is a transformation.

Re: Departing Wilson hits glorious hat trick as City end away programme on winning note.

Only way to revamp midfield is to move players on (only Ralls will be of interest) or to have confidence that one or more can regularly play in an alternative position. Pack moving to CB has decent chance of success at least in short to medium term, though he's not the quickest and risks being exposed unless there is good cover around him, and it's a move I like. Having Morrison, Flint and Pack doesn't give us speed at the back but is best combination of goal threat in opposition's box and ball-playing ability so offensively would be our best defensive three and could be really useful against sides lacking pace along frontline.

There has been criticism of Mick's use of youth players, and I've joined in with that, but I'd also say Brown and Sang have enough experience to be starters next year without too much worry and Colwill is on his way whereas Brum's approach of a significantly changed team means each player starts next year still needing hand holding.

Did Mark Harris look bigger to you? Perhaps assisted by defender not jumping to challenge the ball he knocked towards Murphy before his goal but he looked as if he'd win the contest anyway. Good news going forward, especially as he was still able to break away from said defender, or sign that the defender was very young on the pitch?

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Did Mark Harris look bigger to you? Perhaps assisted by defender not jumping to challenge the ball he knocked towards Murphy before his goal but he looked as if he'd win the contest anyway. Good news going forward, especially as he was still able to break away from said defender, or sign that the defender was very young on the pitch?
    I haven't seen much of Harris, but I noticed his stats on the BBC site this morning: 3 goals from 7 shots, a goal conversion rate of 43% and a shots accuracy rate of 71%. Impressive. I know the evidence is limited, but those stats suggest there is certainly something to work with.

Isnt Harris out of contract in June?

Good finish yesterday.

The commentators mentioned he's not the biggest, he's at least 6ft tall!

Only way to revamp midfield is to move players on (only Ralls will be of interest) or to have confidence that one or more can regularly play in an alternative position. Pack moving to CB has decent chance of success at least in short to medium term, though he's not the quickest and risks being exposed unless there is good cover around him, and it's a move I like. Having Morrison, Flint and Pack doesn't give us speed at the back but is best combination of goal threat in opposition's box and ball-playing ability so offensively would be our best defensive three and could be really useful against sides lacking pace along frontline.
    Presumably it would be Nelson, Morrison, Pack? We'd get ripped apart with a 3 of Pack, Morrison and Flint. Nelson keeps his place on the left with Brown as backup, Morrison & Flint competing for the middle spot, Pack & Morrison covering the right spot

Crewe fans mentioned they eventually saw Ng being a centre back, wonder if we'll try that out

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Mick's post match interview gave further clues about what is to come next season. He was very clear that he sees Williams (new contract surely guaranteed) and Colwill playing the Harry Wilson role - and he will not be prioritising that position in the summer window.

Playing Pack in the back three - with all the caveats about not being tested that you gave - shows that he knows the lack of passing accuracy and comfort in possession has been a problem. If Pack drops back permanently (hopefully not a sign that Mick expects there to be serious interest in Morrison) that may give him the opportunity to do something in central midfield?

It is disappointing that none of the u23 subs got on the pitch, but I think Mick is genuine about wanting to give youth players a chance. At least I feel more confident that some of them will make it under him than under the previous two managers or Slade (Paul Trollope might have been good for youth too if he had survived). This season we have seen serious pitch time for Bagan, Harris, Sang, Brown and Colwill - with only Brown having proper first team experience on loan. Half a dozen others have been on the bench, and the whole u23 squad has been training with the first team on a regular basis. That is a transformation.
    I've watched Nick McCarthy's interview on the club site now and see what you mean - does the fact he doesn't mention Tomlin at all mean that we'll be looking to get rid of him in the summer, does McCarthy not have him in his thoughts for next season or did he just forget about him because he's not been involved with the first team since our manager arrived?

I don't know the answer to that, but I'd say going with Williams and Colwill in the number ten position would certainly represent a drop in the club's level of ambition if it were repeated all over the pitch. On the other hand though, what has become typical summer windows under Vincent Tan where millions are spent on players who, more often than not, turn out to be no better, and in many cases worse, than what we had already has never really worked apart from in 12/13 under Malky Mackay.

If you think back to 17/18, I would argue that the side succeeded more through the efforts of some great work in the sort of market we'll probably be looking in this year than it did through the normal type City summer signings - Etheridge, Mendez-Laing, Paterson, Bamba and Hoilett did far more to win us promotion than Tomlin, Bogle and Madine.

Our manager sounding keen on Pack at centreback and it was good to hear the player sounding keen on the idea as well. the most encouraging thing for me though is that, even if it doesn't turn out to be Pack, Mick McCarthy clearly recognises the need for better use of the ball from the back and that's half (well not quite half because there's still our one dimensional midfielders!) the battle as far as I'm concerned - while on the subject of possible footballing centrebacks, Ng has been mentioned in this thread and I'd add Bagan to that because I've seen him play there quite often for the Academy team and he has what seems to be a big advantage for a centreback these days in that he's left footed.

Another thing our manager said in that interview was more or less confirm that he won't be using any youngsters from the start against Rotherham (or youngsters who haven't appeared in the first team yet at least) because there's a lot riding on the match - that's understandable I suppose, although I find it disappointing despite the fact I accept that we have been better at getting young players involved this season than we've been at any time since Mackay's time here at least - I still think there was a great chance of giving at least two out of Bowen, Evans and Davies some first team experience yesterday,

I was disappointed that Bowen and Evans weren't given minutes once we were 4 up.

The risk for academy players is if the league revert to previous bench and substitution rules. I'd like nine on the bench to be a permanent fixture with the extra places reserved to youngsters even if the league revert to only three subs.

What got lost in yesterday's praise, quite rightly, for Wilson's hat trick was how well Harris played second half and his goal was a fantastic strike. He also showed that we don't need to be reliant on a target man centre forward as his hold up and movement was very good. I know Brum fielded loads of youngsters but centre back and defensive midfield were very experienced and he gave a very good showing.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Presumably it would be Nelson, Morrison, Pack? We'd get ripped apart with a 3 of Pack, Morrison and Flint. Nelson keeps his place on the left with Brown as backup, Morrison & Flint competing for the middle spot, Pack & Morrison covering the right spot

Crewe fans mentioned they eventually saw Ng being a centre back, wonder if we'll try that out
    NG at CB would be very interesting with a player like Sang or Osei-Tutu outside him, and that fabulous Crewe report did mention it

Regarding Harris, I was trying to ask whether he'd bulked up a bit instead of growing taller. He looked a small 6ft plus player earlier in the year but had more about him yesterday.