+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Harsh? Scott Johnson's (WOL) verdict Harry Wilson

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Harsh? Scott Johnson's (WOL) verdict Harry Wilson

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...-fell-20465868

Would he have had a better season at Swansea?

Re: Harsh? Scott Johnson's (WOL) verdict Harry Wilson

He's a talented player. If you look at assists he's joint second on the list for the division, with Harvey Elliott on 11 and behind Emi Buendia on 16. Both Buendia and Elliott have been touted as having incredible season (in fairness Buendia also has 14 goals and leads the way on so many attacking stats it's unreal, and Elliott is only 17 still). However, if you look at the amount of times they are getting the ball - Wilson has made 681 passes, Elliot about 2 times as many and Buendia about 3 times as many!. Blackburn and Norwich are clearly doing a much better job of finding ways to get their talented players on the ball in dangerous areas than we have. For Wilson to be up there with them playing in this Cardiff team I think reflects quite well.

He was too good for his team mates quite frankly. Messi would look average in our team.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    He was too good for his team mates quite frankly. Messi would look average in our team.
    I tend to agree.

Similar to Bellamy's stint at Cardiff?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    He's a talented player. If you look at assists he's joint second on the list for the division, with Harvey Elliott on 11 and behind Emi Buendia on 16. Both Buendia and Elliott have been touted as having incredible season (in fairness Buendia also has 14 goals and leads the way on so many attacking stats it's unreal, and Elliott is only 17 still). However, if you look at the amount of times they are getting the ball - Wilson has made 681 passes, Elliot about 2 times as many and Buendia about 3 times as many!. Blackburn and Norwich are clearly doing a much better job of finding ways to get their talented players on the ball in dangerous areas than we have. For Wilson to be up there with them playing in this Cardiff team I think reflects quite well.
    That's a decent analysis. I wonder how the stats are recorded. It can't just be the microchip in the back of the shirts.

Good post, we’re a hard side for “proper” footballers to play in.

I think he has talent , however he should be doing more in this league whatever his teammates skills are .

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Good post, we’re a hard side for “proper” footballers to play in.
    Lee Tomlin was able to overcome that last season. I was hoping for a similar impact from Harry Wilson.

Do those assist numbers include corners and free kicks?

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Do those assist numbers include corners and free kicks?
    yes why wouldn't they

Lee Tomlin was able to overcome that last season. I was hoping for a similar impact from Harry Wilson.
    Tomlin had 8 goals and 10 assists, Wilson has, so far, 4 goals and 11 assists. perhaps if McCarthy didn't keep dropping him to play ralls or Bacuna as a number 10 he'd have more.
    in any case it's a similar impact in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post
    That's a decent analysis. I wonder how the stats are recorded. It can't just be the microchip in the back of the shirts.
    mostly these days it's automatically logged from video

Tomlin had 8 goals and 10 assists, Wilson has, so far, 4 goals and 11 assists. perhaps if McCarthy didn't keep dropping him to play ralls or Bacuna as a number 10 he'd have more.
    in any case it's a similar impact in my opinion
    Wilson must have about 8 assists from corners. Let's be honest, he's been a bit disappointing but he isn't someone like Tomlin. In a really good team, he'd be outstanding at this level and would out perform Tomlin, whereas for us, a fully fit Tomlin has more ability to drag someone like us along. Wilson flits in and out of games so much, the same criticism he got at Bournemouth last season. I'd love him back, mind.

Would disagree tbh and IMO Wilson probably regretted the move within 5 games of being here.

Not sure why articles always appear from him as if a spokesman for the fans as he quite often goes completely against the general view of the fans on Twitter to generate likes or reaction. Wales online is like the sun these days

He has done well, if he wasn't someone we already knew of from the Welsh setup and wasn't on loan from Liverpool he would have had a good season for everyone.

Only thing I'd compare to is Tomlin who had one less assist and 4 more goals from 7 less starts. He also had to play in this team, also without a striker like Moore who could hold the ball up.

Tomlin was virtually anonymous in most of the first halves he played last season and much the same applies to Wilson this time around. Some of Tomlin's best games last season were when he was introduced as a substitute against tiring defences and, for me, it was the fact that our opponents were less fit and vigilant than they had been that was more responsible for the damage he caused than any increase in the creativity of his team mates. Similar applies to Wilson - probably because Wycombe didn't know what to expect from him, Rubin Colwill made more of an impact in the first fifteen minutes of Saturday's match than Tomlin and Wilson have done in that period in most of the games they've started over the past two seasons

He wouldn’t have done any better at Swansea since they have become more direct

He would have done better at Norwich mind.

He doesn’t fit here. He’s too slow to play out wide in a counter attack and just hasn’t performed well in the middle probably a mix between him and his outlets.

He needs more fluid football. He won’t get that here.

if Murphy, or Colwill or Evans or Whyte suddenly get 4 goals and 11 assists next season people will be cock-a-hoop.
    Wilson does it and it's a poor season somehow

if Murphy, or Colwill or Evans or Whyte suddenly get 4 goals and 11 assists next season people will be cock-a-hoop.
    Wilson does it and it's a poor season somehow
    I know what your saying but Wilson should have torn this division apart. The fact people aren’t gutted when he doesn’t start speaks volumes

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Wilson must have about 8 assists from corners. Let's be honest, he's been a bit disappointing but he isn't someone like Tomlin. In a really good team, he'd be outstanding at this level and would out perform Tomlin, whereas for us, a fully fit Tomlin has more ability to drag someone like us along. Wilson flits in and out of games so much, the same criticism he got at Bournemouth last season. I'd love him back, mind.
    4 from corners, 2 from freekicks, the rest from open play I think. But goals from set pieces don't count any less!

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I know what your saying but Wilson should have torn this division apart. The fact people aren’t gutted when he doesn’t start speaks volumes
    I defy anyone to tear this division apart while playing for us given how we've gone about playing our football for the last six or seven years.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    People on here have also moaned about both managers, the formation, the midfield and attack - even Moore got criticised recently. Tomlin did manage to grab games by scruff of neck last year in a more obvious way but his defensive duties were less, he spent a good amount of time coming off the bench and team around him was happily in form.

Facts are that Wilson's not as good as Mount (in a few years we'll probably be saying that about 95% of premier League players) who helped him at Derby and we don't play to his strengths. He's not shone as we expected but played well and certainly well enough to be on player of the year list and to be picked up by premier League club.

I find it hard to blame the rest of the team for Wilsons performances, because he seemed exactly the same when I watched him for Wales as he was for cardiff. He is capable of real quality, but just doesn't show for the ball enough.

When Wilson has started we've won 1.55 points a game on average.

When Wilson hasn't started we've won 1.23 points a game on average.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    When Wilson has started we've won 1.55 points a game on average.

When Wilson hasn't started we've won 1.23 points a game on average.
    We'd have needed 1.75 ppg to be in the playoffs this season - that seems high compared to usual.