+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Harsh? Scott Johnson's (WOL) verdict Harry Wilson

Re: Harsh? Scott Johnson's (WOL) verdict Harry Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    We'd have needed 1.75 ppg to be in the playoffs this season - that seems high compared to usual.
    It's very high.

In 2014/15, Ipswich finished 6th with 78 points. Wolves missed out with 78 points and Derby had 77 in 8th!!

In 2016/17, Fulham finished 6th with 80 points, 5 points above Leeds. That's the highest points total for the Championship.

Across the 3 lower divisions, 82 points for finishing 6th was achieved by Stoke in 1999/2000. We finished 6th in our playoff winning season of 2002/03 with 81 points.

The average since the advent of the playoffs is 73.6 points. Prior to the advent of the playoffs, using the iffy method of awarding 3 points for a win, the average points for finishing 6th was 65.6. That was with only 42 games a season, though. Pre playoffs, the side finishing 6th had won 1.56 points a game. Since the playoffs it is 1.6 points a game, but draws were more commonplace when there were only 2 points for a win.

if Murphy, or Colwill or Evans or Whyte suddenly get 4 goals and 11 assists next season people will be cock-a-hoop.
    Wilson does it and it's a poor season somehow
    Its the Cardiff City way. Fans cant wait to knock certain players down, usually flair / creative players. Whittingham and Bothroyd are two of the best players to pull on a City shirt in the last 30 years and they had their fair share of boo-boys.

As per your first post for Wilson to get the numbers he has in a team playing the way we play is most impressive. So what if some of them are off corners, in much the same Whitts used to take them they are an asset. Its a skill in itself being to whip crosses in off a dead ball like that. I watched the Leicester game last night and Tielemens, who is a very good player, hit the first defender a number of times from a corner. A pet hate of mine. You swear anyone can take a good corner the way people dismiss assists off corners.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    I find it hard to blame the rest of the team for Wilsons performances, because he seemed exactly the same when I watched him for Wales as he was for cardiff. He is capable of real quality, but just doesn't show for the ball enough.
    After watching the goals Wilson scored against Belgium and Finland, how can you say he was the same for Wales as when he was playing for us?

Who the F UCK is Scott Johnson ?????

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Who the F UCK is Scott Johnson ?????
    I’ve wondered that, does anyone on here know him? Or sit by him in the ground? Most prominent, or as prominent as he is to have an Echo column, City fans are usually in a circle of match going mates.

I thought his goals were real quality, but he was still anonymous for large stretches of those matches. I think a player with his talent should be demanding the ball. The likes of ralls, vaulks and pack aren't the most creative, but they're also not complete clogged. I think if Harry had been showing for the ball they'd have managed to find him.

I do personally still believe he will be a top , top player mind. His goalscoring ability, and that wand of a left foot.

We don't play high enough up the pitch to use him to full effectiveness

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    We don't play high enough up the pitch to use him to full effectiveness
    we don't play enough football, I'm sure if you looked at something like assists or key passes per possession he'd be right up there

In terms on of influence on games and overall quality of play, rank the following:

Junior Hoilett in 2017/18
    Jason Koumas in 2005/06
    Harry Wilson in 2020/21
    Lee Tomlin in 2019/20

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    In terms on of influence on games and overall quality of play, rank the following:

Junior Hoilett in 2017/18
    Jason Koumas in 2005/06
    Harry Wilson in 2020/21
    Lee Tomlin in 2019/20
    in terms of direct goal involvements (G+A)
    Hoilett 20
    Tomlin has 18
    Wilson 15*
    koumas 12

these don't tell the full story of course but it's a good starting point.

the best player I've ever seen at this level was Adel taarabt who with 19 goals and 21 assists clocks up 40 direct goal involvements.

the next best is probably Buendia this season who has 31

Earlier in the season Ojo and Wilson were playing wide in 4-4-2 and having to track back to our box then carry it forward. Goals and assists important part of the comparison but Koumas and Tomlin certainly weren't asked to do that level of defensive work.

Hoilett 20
    Tomlin has 18
    Wilson 15*
    koumas 12

the best player I've ever seen at this level was Adel taarabt who with 19 goals and 21 assists clocks up 40 direct goal involvements.

I would have to agree with Taarabt

Hoilett 20
    Tomlin has 18
    Wilson 15*
    koumas 12

It's worth saying that of the 4, Wilson seems by far the most consistent season to season. The season before or after those good seasons for the other three I don't think they did much other than the odd glimpse of their quality. If we somehow get him back here next season I'd be pretty confident he'd be a top player at this level again.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I would have to agree with Taarabt
    It's hard to imagine how it went so wrong for him. He's 31 now and I think still warming the bench at Benfica (I suppose there are worse ways to earn a living, I very much doubt he'd swap that for my office job and a huge pay cut, for example). He was that good that even Neil Warnock let him have a free role.

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...-fell-20465868

Would he have had a better season at Swansea?
    This article has aged well...

Just feel after playing 36 games it would have been have been nice to see a few more sparking performances like today from the lad , and in doing so we would be in a better place and in the play off's ? , if he class as folk say someone someone surely will buy him ?? he certainty did put on a great shop window performance today , for suitors to like ??

Didn't see today, did he play any further forward?

We actually played the ball on the floor today, shockingly that meant Wilson played well

Hoilett 20
    Tomlin has 18
    Wilson 15*
    koumas 12

Hoilett 20
    Tomlin 18
    Wilson 18*
    Koumas 12

Nice to see Wilson make Scott Johnson look silly today

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Nice to see Wilson make Scott Johnson look silly today
    Oh yes

International

Call me an old cynic but I was so surprised to see him play so well and showcase his undoubted talent just at the end of the week when the talk has been about us not being able to keep him next season and him wanting a club to buy him so he can make a permanent move and stop going out on loan.

Reminds me of Tomlin's contract extension performances.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Call me an old cynic but I was so surprised to see him play so well and showcase his undoubted talent just at the end of the week when the talk has been about us not being able to keep him next season and him wanting a club to buy him so he can make a permanent move and stop going out on loan.

This!

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Just feel after playing 36 games it would have been have been nice to see a few more sparking performances like today from the lad , and in doing so we would be in a better place and in the play off's ? , if he class as folk say someone someone surely will buy him ?? he certainty did put on a great shop window performance today , for suitors to like ??
    Not really, 2 were free kicks, I doubt he has purposely missed free kicks previously.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post

You’re an old cynic.