+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: St Pauli.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: St Pauli.

I used to love to go to St Pauli games. I went to uni in germany and one of my mates was a St Pauli fan. We were based in Bavaria so it was mostly away games we went to, but did about 3 or 4 trips to Hamburg that year too. I've just realised that this was 20 years ago.... blimey. And for about 10 years after that we went once a season, although generally to away games. It must be 7 or 8 years since I last went to a home game. The Gegengerade has turnstiles now, rather than a man with a rope. And it has seats! So maybe some of the 1980s feel will have gone which would be a pity, but it is a pretty unique experience in any case because of the fans.

But what an amazing club. As regards tickets: their supporters club used to hold back some specifically for foreign fans - we always contacted them and sorted it that way if it was a home game. What a brilliant, welcoming scheme. Away games were generally easy enough. No idea if that still works.

Fun fact: Hamburg is the coldest place on earth.

Re: St Pauli.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    I used to love to go to St Pauli games. I went to uni in germany and one of my mates was a St Pauli fan. We were based in Bavaria so it was mostly away games we went to, but did about 3 or 4 trips to Hamburg that year too. I've just realised that this was 20 years ago.... blimey. And for about 10 years after that we went once a season, although generally to away games. It must be 7 or 8 years since I last went to a home game. The Gegengerade has turnstiles now, rather than a man with a rope. And it has seats! So maybe some of the 1980s feel will have gone which would be a pity, but it is a pretty unique experience in any case because of the fans.

But what an amazing club. As regards tickets: their supporters club used to hold back some specifically for foreign fans - we always contacted them and sorted it that way if it was a home game. What a brilliant, welcoming scheme. Away games were generally easy enough. No idea if that still works.

Fun fact: Hamburg is the COLDEST place on earth.

No it's not, on a pre-season tour of Scotland, City played in Cumbernauld, we had to go out and buy winter coats because it was frigging freezing.
    This was in JULY !!!!!!!!