+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Pearson given three year deal at Bristol City

Pearson given three year deal at Bristol City

He’s hardly set them on fire so far.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56920741

Re: Pearson given three year deal at Bristol City

He's a decent manager at this level . I seem to recall some suggesting him as a replacement for Harris ?

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post

He'll need to bring in quite a few new players. The current lot at his disposal are clearly not playing for him.
    Their good start to the season (weren't they in second place at one point?) soon evaporated.
    I pray that we don't go in for any of their cast-offs, they have players who make Marlon Pack and Aden Flint look like footballing geniuses!

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post

As soon as they were safe in this league, the decision whether to extend a temporary manager's contract or not should always be about what they can do next rather than what they've done immediately after coming in.

Since leaving Leicester in June 2015 Pearson has managed 14 games at Derby, 56 games at OH Leuven, 22 games at Watford and now 12 games at wurzels. His highest winning percentage during that time is 32.1% at OH Leuven. Wurzels and Pearson both need to recover momentum from several years ago so will be interesting to see how it goes.

It’s a conflict of interests for me. I like him, but i don’t like them 😀

Think if given time he can certainly do well. They really have nothing to lose by giving him at least next season, fresh start, few players in.

It's interesting, will Covid and its impact on finances mean a really quiet summer on the transfer front for football or will a probable reduction in fee sizes and a large number of out of contract players mean that it will be a lot more busy than normal? I tend to favour the later and, if that is true, it might be that managers who have had the time to get themselves plenty of contacts within the game are favoured, so maybe Messrs McCarthy and Pearson will do well - as Surge says, although I think Pearson did well at Watford really, he could do with a good season with the wurzels to restore his reputation somewhat.

First Team

I have a sneaking admiration for Pearson despite his current choice of employer.
    He really gives out the impression of being a committed and enthusiastic old school football man.
    Probably being left behind by the latest generation of technical coaches but if you wanted a man to get a lower league team running through brick walls then he may fit the bil.
    I am sure there is more to him than I give credit but that is the impression I get.

I would put him in about the same class as Warnock and McCarthy. Maybe not as good as Warnock at getting promotions. If Bristol give him enough time to do a job I would not be surprised if he got them to the playoffs in the next couple of seasons. His teams tend to play decent football too.

International

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It's interesting, will Covid and its impact on finances mean a really quiet summer on the transfer front for football or will a probable reduction in fee sizes and a large number of out of contract players mean that it will be a lot more busy than normal? I tend to favour the later and, if that is true, it might be that managers who have had the time to get themselves plenty of contacts within the game are favoured, so maybe Messrs McCarthy and Pearson will do well - as Surge says, although I think Pearson did well at Watford really, he could do with a good season with the wurzels to restore his reputation somewhat.
    I tend to agree with you on the latter possibility. I think there might be quite surprising amount of talent about either cheaply, on loan or even as free agents. And despite some saying we don't have the money I'm sure if he wants then VT can find some in his back pocket for the right people.

What was his last championship job? Seem to remember him spending well at Derby and failing.