+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your first wage?

Your first wage?

£25 a week take home.
    Left school 1983 ish. Only thing I could get back then was a YTS
    Lived the dream for two nights a week though.

Re: Your first wage?

£20 a week apprentice

but worked part time in the nights collecting glasses at the near by working mans club earning about 5 pound a night

it payed for my city away days back then ! those persil train tickets were a godsend

£5 a week, glove factory on Pontypridd Broadway.
    My job the first week was to cut out the "St Michael" labels from Marks and Spencer rejects and when I had a box full I took them to a lady who sewd in "Winfield" labels for dispatch to Woolworths.

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    £25 a week take home.
    Left school 1983 ish. Only thing I could get back then was a YTS
    Lived the dream for two nights a week though.
    £28 per week. Apprentice, 1989.

£40 per week in 1976 as a buyer in a factory in Pengam Way.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    £28 per week. Apprentice, 1989.
    No need to brag

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln blue View Post
    £5 a week, glove factory on Pontypridd Broadway.
    My job the first week was to cut out the "St Michael" labels from Marks and Spencer rejects and when I had a box full I took them to a lady who sewd in "Winfield" labels for dispatch to Woolworths.
    Nothing to do with your post.... but I used to travel up and down to Lincolnshire 4 times a week. Up as far as Spalding.
    How come you ended up there?

International

I can't remember what my first wage was it was so long ago.
    But I do remember the coins had holes in them so you could keep them on a rope round your neck or waist so no one could pick your pocket for them.

£6 10s a week as a clerical assistant with Post Office Telephones (later BT) in November 1970.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    £6 10s a week as a clerical assistant with Post Office Telephones (later BT) in November 1970.
    £6! what a loser!

Nothing to do with your post.... but I used to travel up and down to Lincolnshire 4 times a week. Up as far as Spalding.
    He doesn't like hills.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    He doesn't like hills.
    Bloke I used to deliver to in Spalding told me his hill start on his driving test was on a ramp leading up to the library.

I worked at Pearl Assurance in 1984. I think I was making £60 odd quid a week. I hated it and didn't last long. I went out for lunch one day, booked a flight to Ibiza, and never went back. They kept paying me for what seemed like ages.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I worked at Pearl Assurance in 1984. I think I was making £60 odd quid a week. I hated it and didn't last long. I went out for lunch one day, booked a flight to Ibiza, and never went back. They kept paying me for what seemed like ages.
    60 quid a week must have seemed a fortune then !

think i made it to £30 a week then in 1984

International

I think I was really on about 5 or 6 quid a week in 1966 working in the peanut factory on Newport Road waiting for my O level results.
    A year later I was in Chichester earning £3.10s which went up to £7.13s. I ended up with £7 a week because the 13s went in stamp and tax. The bastards they had me even then!!!

Paper round deliver the Echo on £10 a week after school in 1993.
    Out in all weathers.
    Xmas tips were always amazing, I used to knock the door to give an Xmas card and then take as much time fiddling with the gate and letter box until I got my tip the following week.

Kids don’t know they are born these days - do they still even deliver these days?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I think I was really on about 5 or 6 quid a week in 1966 working in the peanut factory on Newport Road waiting for my O level results.
    A year later I was in Chichester earning £3.10s which went up to £7.13s. I ended up with £7 a week because the 13s went in stamp and tax. The bastards they had me even then!!!
    WTF did working in the peanut factory entail?

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    Paper round deliver the Echo on £10 a week after school in 1993.
    Paper round in 1960. Worked every morning before school, Saturdays and Sundays and every evening 'cept Sundays. Had to go back to the shop on Fridays 'cos it was Radio and TV Times day. Pay? 14/- = .70p a week.
    Best part was making the first footsteps in the snow and seeing the girl at No 26.
    Bought my first electric guitar on the never-ever soon after starting the round. It was just great to have some money to jingle-jangle.

£8 - 17 and 6 as an office boy in Panteg steelworks. 1968

Bloke I used to deliver to in Spalding told me his hill start on his driving test was on a ramp leading up to the library.

Used to get about £12 for half hour Sunday morning paper round. It was great people with loads of change from the night out on a Saturday and still half cut so good tips. Best paid job I ever had. Did it until I was 21.

First taxable wage was £90 a week As a 17 year old in 1993. After stoppages it was £85 and used to give my mother £5 a week lodge. £80 a week plus my £12 paper round money and I had no vices in those days. Spent most of it in Woodies.

RAF postings, loved Lincoln so decided to work/retire there after demob.
    Been back in Wales, Carmarthen 11yrs and Whitchurch 7yrs since 2003 after nearly 40 years there, loved it and still visit regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    60 quid a week must have seemed a fortune then !

think i made it to £30 a week then in 1984
    It actually didn't seem that much. Not enough to make me want to stay there anyway. When I was still in school I used to work for NCP in Westgate Street on Saturdays. In the summer holidays, I would go full time and work all over. Edward Street, Wood Street, Mill Lane, Greyfriars road etc. and I was making £100 a week. (long days mind) In Edward Street, you could fiddle at least £10 a day on top of that. It all went though. Clothes food and booze. Never saved a penny. I spent a fortune at Paradise Garage.

£18 per week working in a fruit & veg shop in Rhiwbina village (1977). It was just a stop-gap to save some money before I entered the Merchant Navy Training College.