+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your first wage?

Re: Your first wage?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    It actually didn't seem that much. Not enough to make me want to stay there anyway. When I was still in school I used to work for NCP in Westgate Street on Saturdays. In the summer holidays, I would go full time and work all over. Edward Street, Wood Street, Mill Lane, Greyfriars road etc. and I was making £100 a week. (long days mind) In Edward Street, you could fiddle at least £10 a day on top of that. It all went though. Clothes food and booze. Never saved a penny. I spent a fortune at Paradise Garage.
    Paradise Garage, eh! - I have this image in my mind of you working at the NCP car park wearing bondage trousers and suede brogues!

£103 a month take home pay in September 74. I didn't know what to do with it all!

Sonys In Bridgend

A place of death and decay

Loads of city fans and young ladies from the valleys so it had its plus points

£19, Rank Xerox apprentice 1975

My first job was packing bananas at Fyffes in Pontypridd in 1985. I had the job on the proviso that Fyffes Cardiff wanted to win the company’s national cricket competition and providing we were still in the competition I could carry on packing bananas. We lost in the semi but I still remember being well chuffed that my final weeks pay was a massive £80.

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    Paper round deliver the Echo on £10 a week after school in 1993.
    Out in all weathers.
    Xmas tips were always amazing, I used to knock the door to give an Xmas card and then take as much time fiddling with the gate and letter box until I got my tip the following week.

Kids don’t know they are born these days - do they still even deliver these days?
    I had a few paper rounds in my teens, good thing to do back then, bit of exercise too and generally on the walk home from school. Morning rounds were killers....

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    First taxable wage was £90 a week As a 17 year old in 1993. After stoppages it was £85 and used to give my mother £5 a week lodge. £80 a week plus my £12 paper round money and I had no vices in those days. Spent most of it in Woodies.
    I didn’t go far in woodies...I was the same. Pair of c17 or chippie jeans about £80, polo top £45. Up to bolwells for a pair of Adidas jeans

Mill Lane Fruit Market, from the age of 12, loved the market life

God knows what I earned

£2.10s.0d per week in 1960. Marconi International Marine Co, Mountstuart Square Cardiff

Those were the days.

Paper round in the 60s. 10 bob a week.
    Later, in college hols worked in a tropical fish shop starting at £1 a day (1971 -1974)

First 'proper' job after uni (1977) was in a computer firm (ICL if anyone remembers them) starting at about £3k pa

Started work in City Hall in January 1964 earning about £3.10shillings a week. Funny thing was I never seemed short of money until I discovered Top Rank and alcohol (after starting the night in the Taff Vale).

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    Started work in City Hall in January 1964 earning about £3.10shillings a week. Funny thing was I never seemed short of money until I discovered Top Rank and alcohol (after starting the night in the Taff Vale).
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, The Top Rank, such memories

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifest...-best-14868981

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

£6 and 10 shillings a week plus a big bag of mixed veg for my mum on a Saturday morning working as a Porter over Bessemer Road fruit market in 1969
    Early mornings did for me and so I got a job in the civil service. Very comfortable life for a few years

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, The Top Rank, such memories

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifest...-best-14868981

Love it! It looks a lot more sedate than I remember but we probably didn't think it was at that time. Compare that to the bear pit that was the rave in Liverpool last night.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post

Remember jumping off that balcony to be caught by a crowd of mates below.

One chap who just joined in jumped as we all walked away.

“Mr Morgan to Area 5” came the call over the speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    £12.00 per week in 1971. Went out with £2 in my pocket on a Friday/Saturday night, viz:

Train in to Queen St Station = 10p.

Game of darts & 4 pints on Newcastle Brown in the Oddfellows club [Newport Rd] 4 x 16p = 64p.

Run to Rank to get in before 10pm entrance price hike = 50p

Try & 'cop on', on a ratio of 3 blokes to 1 girl, have one pint = 20p

Walk home via Deedar [Whitchurch Rd] or Akash [Woodville Rd], have a curry, 55p.

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    Remember jumping off that balcony to be caught by a crowd of mates below.

One chap who just joined in jumped as we all walked away.

“Mr Morgan to Area 5” came the call over the speakers

Remember talkiing to one young lady (a bird in old money ), asked her if she wanted a drink, she said "a Brandy & Babycham, please" !!!!
    Wonder what her name was, as I disappeared

My dad was part of the workforce building Aberthaw power station. He arranged (unknown to me) for me to spend a night shift with him.
    It was a wonderful adventure for an eleven year old, riding on the narrow gauge railway moving the concrete mix around and drinking tea out of a tin mug with the men.
    In the morning it was their pay day and I got a proper McCalpine pay packet for 2/6, it even had my name on it.

I had a summer job with Saga holidays in about 1976. They paid 50p an hour for putting tickets in envelopes. It was complete chaos and I thought this lot will never survive

Quote Originally Posted by cantonboy View Post
    My dad was part of the workforce building Aberthaw power station. He arranged (unknown to me) for me to spend a night shift with him.
    It was a wonderful adventure for an eleven year old, riding on the narrow gauge railway moving the concrete mix around and drinking tea out of a tin mug with the men.
    In the morning it was their pay day and I got a proper McCalpine pay packet for 2/6, it even had my name on it.
    Lovely story

Hope you declared it to the Taxman

My old man used to take me around his works in the docks about that age, it was a crazy place. They made anchors and chains. Massive piles of them everywhere. Furnaces, molten steel, dark, crazy noise all the time. He often said so and so lost an eye, finger or arm today. One guy died. It was a right baptism of fire when I worked there for 6 months at 18, the bosses son. I got so much grief from the other workers it was unreal, 25 years of pay back to the boss I reckon.
    Great learning curve though....nothing was as crazy as working there ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    My old man used to take me around his works in the docks about that age, it was a crazy place. They made anchors and chains. Massive piles of them everywhere. Furnaces, molten steel, dark, crazy noise all the time. He often said so and so lost an eye, finger or arm today. One guy died. It was a right baptism of fire when I worked there for 6 months at 18, the bosses son. I got so much grief from the other workers it was unreal, 25 years of pay back to the boss I reckon.
    Great learning curve though....nothing was as crazy as working there ever again.
    cant think of the name dumballs road by any chance ?

I worked at my dads place for a few weeks. It was a supplier of plumbing parts in Zurich. I spent a few weeks counting widgets with the gastarbeiter in the warehouse. They started at about 7 and someone would go down the bakers at 9 to get croissants and beer! How times have changed.