+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: IPL match cancelled.

IPL match cancelled.

If ever there was a massive demonstration of insensitivity and how money talks it's the playing of this competition at all in India right now.

We have new neighbours from India and talking to one last week he was in tears having lost a family member to Covid that day and having an elderly mum at risk and understandably being very anxious.

How can they play cricket in Delhi whilst the general population are in the midst of a pandemic, woefully under resourced for medical support and dying in the streets?

Dreadful, and whilst I enjoyed watching the IPL last year can't bring myself to watch it and hope the whole thing gets cancelled.

Re: IPL match cancelled.

We continued with Premier League and Championship football through our Lockdown. I think it is important in this situation to have something for people to watch to keep their spirits up

Quote Originally Posted by Grandstand Boy View Post
    We continued with Premier League and Championship football through our Lockdown. I think it is important in this situation to have something for people to watch to keep their spirits up
    There's been more COVID cases world wide in the last 6 weeks than in the entire time before that. What is going on in India (and Brazil) is a lot worse than anything we've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post
    If ever there was a massive demonstration of insensitivity and how money talks it's the playing of this competition at all in India right now.

We have new neighbours from India and talking to one last week he was in tears having lost a family member to Covid that day and having an elderly mum at risk and understandably being very anxious.

How can they play cricket in Delhi whilst the general population are in the midst of a pandemic, woefully under resourced for medical support and dying in the streets?

Dreadful, and whilst I enjoyed watching the IPL last year can't bring myself to watch it and hope the whole thing gets cancelled.
    I said exactly the same having switched it on yesterday.

I suppose, like the football did for us during the pandemic and lockdown over here, it may well help some take their minds off the situation, even if only for a short time.

It really is desperately sad what's happening there.

It's a tough call and I know the Indians love their cricket from my business trips there. It's when you see the pictures from New Delhi with the desperate situation and funeral pyres it seems not right that cricket is being played in the same city. I know this has come in for a lot of criticism.

The deaths per 1m population is 159 compared to 1,871 here in the UK. Arguably you could say we have had it worse, though I do admit the stats may be under reported in India

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post

Did I see on the Tv last week that it was seen as a positive thing, something to give families stuck at home some joy in the evenings.
    The one thing that hits you when you travel in India is the sheer amount of people everywhere. How they can keep apart I just don’t know, it’s impossible. Hence COVID is relentless

The deaths per 1m population is 159 compared to 1,871 here in the UK. Arguably you could say we have had it worse, though I do admit the stats may be under reported in India
    There is absolutely no comparison between UK and India. The population of UK is 66 million. India is around 1.4 billion. Indias recorded deaths from Covid is 219000 but experts estimate the actual number of Covid cases there is HALF A BILLION with only 19.9 million reported. The number of deaths is therefore likely to be nearer 5.5 million. Its a national scandal of biblical proporations.

So the IPL is now postponed https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/56978321

So much for secure bubble and the UK mercenaries will now be heading back I suspect.

They're leaving bodies in the streets and people are dying because of a lack of oxygen in hospitals, come on now mate