+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: M4 speed limits

M4 speed limits

I drove up to Barry to see my mum yesterday ( 1st time since Drakeford locked down Wales before Christmas )

got to Newport and the speed drops down to 50mph with Average speed cams in place

Is this a temporary thing ? ? ? i can somewhat understand it at peak travel times , it keeps the flow of traffic, but on a Sunday afternoon just seems like a waste of time

Re: M4 speed limits

https://gov.wales/50mph-average-spee...live-two-weeks

Next step will be a 20mph limit on all roads I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by Philo2 View Post

so permanent then, as i said, peak times i understand, it'll help the flow of traffic, but other times just appears to be unnecessary

Port Talbot ones have accompanying signs saying it's to help air quality, bit of a joke given the smog coming off the steelworks although I read somewhere they have never issued a fine along there just warning letters.

I wouldn't buy another car without adaptive cruise control, the only way to navigate those 50mph sections on a regular basis without the constant stress of staring at the speedo.

At least it will save the planet and assist with electric car use

Port Talbot ones have accompanying signs saying it's to help air quality, bit of a joke given the smog coming off the steelworks although I read somewhere they have never issued a fine along there just warning letters.

I wouldn't buy another car without adaptive cruise control, the only way to navigate those 50mph sections on a regular basis without the constant stress of staring at the speedo.
    I’ve stopped driving because staring at my speedo was making me ill.

I had a fine for driving through the Port Talbot bit - few years back but there used to be fixed cameras there.

We’ll all be back on the horse & cart before long

I noticed that the limit on Western Avenue between the flyover and Ely Bridge has been reduced to 30.
    Makes sense to me. 40 always seemed too high on a road without a barrier to separate opposite carriageways.

I think built up housing areas should all be 20 mph .

Have you ever DRIVEN at 20mph....jeepers...

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post

To be fair I do around built up areas and streets , takes getting used too, however we have many road bumbs and speed restrictions anyway , so speeds naturally slowed , saw a child leap out recently and was saved by a slow driving speed and awarenessof the driver .

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Very often difficult to hit the heady heights of 20mph around suburban Cardiff on times.