+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So on my way home from work today

So on my way home from work today

I stop off at my local shop (bout 100 yards from my house) to get a few things. Get home and about 10 mins later my doorbell goes. A young lad about 7 or 8 standing there, holding my wallet out and his Gran stood at my gate.
    I’d dropped it on the road getting into my van, and the lad and his Gran had found it. There was £100 in there and they’d got my address from a business card in there.
    I thanked them for their honesty, and after checking with the Gran, gave the lad £10 as a reward.
    When i went back in doors and told my wife, she called me a tight arse, and said i should have given him more.
    Opinions?

International

Re: So on my way home from work today

You shud of knocked him out
    Give him a score at least, unless you know where he lives and plan to give him another 10 next week when he isn't expecting it. Maybe you should have given his granny one as well.

What an honest kid and brought up with good values.
    I’m some cases the cash is not so important, but the hassle of cancelling cards, new driving licence maybe a receipt etc.

That £10 could have been a lot to that kid, if you knew the school he went to then perhaps a call to his teacher and single him out for some praise and make him proud of his honesty.

Worth 20 quid just to save the hassle of cancelling your cards.

It may have fallen into the wrong hands and by the time you realised you'd lost it you could have been fleeced.

Your missus is right ya tight arsed git

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    What an honest kid and brought up with good values.
    I’m some cases the cash is not so important, but the hassle of cancelling cards, new driving licence maybe a receipt etc.

That £10 could have been a lot to that kid, if you knew the school he went to then perhaps a call to his teacher and single him out for some praise and make him proud of his honesty.
    Great idea

I’d have given him 50 at least......

I agree with your wife.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    I stop off at my local shop (bout 100 yards from my house) to get a few things. Get home and about 10 mins later my doorbell goes. A young lad about 7 or 8 standing there, holding my wallet out and his Gran stood at my gate.
    I’d dropped it on the road getting into my van, and the lad and his Gran had found it. There was £100 in there and they’d got my address from a business card in there.
    I thanked them for their honesty, and after checking with the Gran, gave the lad £10 as a reward.
    When i went back in doors and told my wife, she called me a tight arse, and said i should have given him more.
    Opinions?
    Looks like the younger generation have more respect for their elders than the older ones have for the young ones, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Great idea
    Second that, money is not everything, recognition of a good deed is as important, it would also give an example to others of how to behave .

£20 seems about right to me but a tenner's not terrible to be fair

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Maybe you should have given his granny one as well.
    Bit OTT in my opinion...

tight as... min £20

Quote Originally Posted by cantonboy View Post
    Bit OTT in my opinion...
    but could have made her day

10% tip seems fair. He was doing it put of honesty not for the money obviously.

My wife would be like you should have given him half, well he may as well have kept it then

My wife was out with the grandson earlier and he found a wallet. My wife said we should find the bloke and give it back, he wanted to nick it as it had £100 inside! So they took it back and the chap only gave him a tenner.

(I am only joking, before I get trolled)

Opinions?
    I would have given 30

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    10% tip seems fair. He was doing it put of honesty not for the money obviously.

My wife would be like you should have given him half, well he may as well have kept it then
    Not really because £50 is better than having nothing which it would have been if someone less honest had found it

£10 is absolutely fine. That would mean a lot for a 7 year old.

On Reflection, i should have maybe given him £20. I liked the idea of mentioning it to his school, but i don’t
    know the lad and can’t recall seeing him or his gran before.
    Yrs ago when i was in my 20’s, i was working on the Toys R Us building leading up to Christmas.
    I went to a phone box on the Hayes and there was a woman using it. After she finished and left, i went in and noticed she’d left her purse on the shelf. It was loaded with cash.
    I saw her walking up toward the snack bar, so ran after her and gave it back to her.
    She was so elated. She said it was all her Christmas money for her family and was trying to hand me some cash as a reward
    I politely refused and went on my way.
    Felt so good about being honest..

I think what you did was right. I'm sure he will get into stealing when he gets older and the money you gave him won't deter him

Opinions?
    8 years ago, when my son was born, I took loads of photos on my phone. When I got home in the evening I popped into the Chinese for some supper. Later on that evening I noticed my phone had disappeared. Did everything; rang it, retraced my steps, everything. No sign of it. I went to bed and felt sick that I'd lost all of the photos of his first day after being born, family coming to visit, etc.

The following morning I rang it again and someone answered. They'd found it outside the Chinese. We agreed on a mutally convenient location for me to collect it. I offered to give the guy £20. He refused to accept it, no matter how persistent I was. It turned out that he knew my wife and her family through them going to the same church, so I told him to use it there, which he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    8 years ago, when my son was born, I took loads of photos on my phone. When I got home in the evening I popped into the Chinese for some supper. Later on that evening I noticed my phone had disappeared. Did everything; rang it, retraced my steps, everything. No sign of it. I went to bed and felt sick that I'd lost all of the photos of his first day after being born, family coming to visit, etc.

The following morning I rang it again and someone answered. They'd found it outside the Chinese. We agreed on a mutally convenient location for me to collect it. I offered to give the guy £20. He refused to accept it, no matter how persistent I was. It turned out that he knew my wife and her family through them going to the same church, so I told him to use it there, which he did.
    Nice 👍

On Reflection, i should have maybe given him £20. I liked the idea of mentioning it to his school, but i don’t
    Yrs ago when i was in my 20’s, i was working on the Toys R Us building leading up to Christmas.
    I went to a phone box on the Hayes and there was a woman using it. After she finished and left, i went in and noticed she’d left her purse on the shelf. It was loaded with cash.
    I saw her walking up toward the snack bar, so ran after her and gave it back to her.
    She was so elated. She said it was all her Christmas money for her family and was trying to hand me some cash as a reward
    Kindness is its own reward. I can't fathom the mind that would take the money and not give a rip about the misery imposed on a woman doing her Christmas shopping. How could you not hate yourself, awake or asleep? The ghosts of every person who ever meant anything to me would accuse me every minute.

Hell, no. Be honest. Feel good.

Properly done, mate.

I don't like the sound of this kid

Thats Karma at work

I am a firm believer in it, not to the extent of Earl, but still a believer