+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Senedd election prediction

Re: Senedd election prediction

Labour minority government , never thought they would get 30 seats

Tories in certain towns are complaining long waits to vote which saw many walk away was a conspiracy by Labour to reduce the tory vote !

Aww

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Time to shake it up I reckon. People over 55 shouldn’t be allowed to vote. Old ****’s pulling the ladder up and destroying the younger generations future.
    Tosser

Following your logic, Oldies shouldn't be allowed to govern either.

Then we'll have real playground politics

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Time to shake it up I reckon. People over 55 shouldn’t be allowed to vote. Old ****’s pulling the ladder up and destroying the younger generations future.
    Following these rules there would be no Brexit!👍

I didn’t expect any different but god it’s depressing. Seeing people hating the Conservatives and celebrating Welsh Labour is mind boggling to me, we truly deserve the country we live in.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Tosser

Following your logic, Oldies shouldn't be allowed to govern either.

Then we'll have real playground politics
    He's only kidding lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Parry View Post
    I didn’t expect any different but god it’s depressing. Seeing people hating the Conservatives and celebrating Welsh Labour is mind boggling to me, we truly deserve the country we live in.
    is this because you voted plaid

Thank God Wales bucked the trend and didn’t vote for the God awful Tories.

This election was dominated by covid and that can, to an extent, explain results seen.

By the time we have the next Senedd election we'll have had much more fall-out from Brexit; difficult recovery from covid; Drakeford going; Tories retaining a majority in Westminster and Wales losing seats at that level; and possible independence vote in Scotland.

The incumbent party has had an advantage this time round but could easily swing against them next time.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    This election was dominated by covid and that can, to an extent, explain results seen.

By the time we have the next Senedd election we'll have had much more fall-out from Brexit; difficult recovery from covid; Drakeford going; Tories retaining a majority in Westminster and Wales losing seats at that level; and possible independence vote in Scotland.

The incumbent party has had an advantage this time round but could easily swing against them next time.
    Agree with most of that.

Interesting point on BBC Wales last night that covid ended up really damaging Plaid, they had planned for a presidential style election campaign pitting Price against an unknown Drakeford but the immense media exposure Drakeford had doing daily press conferences helped labour massively. Also, because of the covid restrictions they lost months of potential canvassing and door knocking which is key to them as they don’t have the financial donors that labour and Tories do.

Plaid need 3-4 regional seats today to limit the damage but I can’t see more than 3 to be honest

Quote Originally Posted by Wozza16 View Post
    Interesting point on BBC Wales last night that covid ended up really damaging Plaid, they had planned for a presidential style election campaign pitting Price against an unknown Drakeford but the immense media exposure Drakeford had doing daily press conferences helped labour massively. Also, because of the covid restrictions they lost months of potential canvassing and door knocking which is key to them as they don’t have the financial donors that labour and Tories do.

Plaid need 3-4 regional seats today to limit the damage but I can’t see more than 3 to be honest
    I agree that the issue of Covid has helped Drakeford to a certain Degree, but it can work against a politician if they get enough wrong or if like some people think, he has no charisma etc. Drakeford has obviously got more right than wrong for most of the electorate.

Quote Originally Posted by Wozza16 View Post

I
    Every 5 years Plaid make excuses. The fact is they have gone backwards this time, not simply because MD had loads of media exposure, but also because the electorate does not completely buy into its independence narrative.
    I know Adam Price is a poster boy to some on here, but he must take some responsibility. A rethink of strategy/leadership is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I agree that the issue of Covid has helped Drakeford to a certain Degree, but it can work against a politician if they get enough wrong or if like some people think, he has no charisma etc. Drakeford has obviously got more right than wrong for most of the electorate.
    I don't know, Johnson got virtually everything wrong with Covid during 2020 and it didn't do him, or his party, any harm.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I don't know, Johnson got virtually everything wrong with Covid during 2020 and it didn't do him, or his party, any harm.
    So did a lot of countries though, hard to see how you can prepare for such a catastrophic event well? The vaccine rollout has saved them though.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    I
    Every 5 years Plaid make excuses. The fact is they have gone backwards this time, not simply because MD had loads of media exposure, but also because the electorate does not completely buy into its independence narrative.
    I know Adam Price is a poster boy to some on here, but he must take some responsibility. A rethink of strategy/leadership is needed.
    I'm genuinely surprised by how well Labour have done. I think there's been a fair amount of "anyone bar the Tories" about this election. There had been predictions that the Conservatives could even be the largest party in the Senedd or that they were at least going to make huge gains. I feel this election is as much a two-fingered salute to the Tories as it is any endorsement of Labour. Votes for Plaid were mainly going to affect Labour and I know of people who were torn between the two, who ended up voting Labour to ensure the Tories didn't get in through the back door.

What did Johnson get wrong that Drakeford didn't?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I'm genuinely surprised by how well Labour have done. I think there's been a fair amount of "anyone bar the Tories" about this election. There had been predictions that the Conservatives could even be the largest party in the Senedd or that they were at least going to make huge gains. I feel this election is as much a two-fingered salute to the Tories as it is any endorsement of Labour. Votes for Plaid were mainly going to affect Labour and I know of people who were torn between the two, who ended up voting Labour to ensure the Tories didn't get in through the back door.
    Yes I agree. I wasnt going to vote. The thought of RT Davies as First Minister was so unthinkable that I voted.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Both got the majority wrong but at this date (this may change in future) I think we can say Drakeford got it less wrong than Boris in a couple of key areas:

Drakeford made a better fist of managing autumn/winter period by:

- implementing a fire-break when this was the advice of the scientists - Sunak and Boris listened to anti-covid scientists instead
    - locking down the whole of Wales when more transmissible Kent variant recognised (see how tier system has been dropped in England since start of the new year)
    - not sending schools back for one day

Over half the deaths experienced in the UK were in autumn/winter time when the most was known about the pandemic and Drakeford took stronger and earlier action to manage the number of deaths, though not as well as Sturgeon in Scotland.

In addition you could add:

- different rules for young children who were least at risk from a much earlier stage.

On the flips side you would argue:

- More open last summer in England which gave a timely boost to their economy
    - More open outside earlier this year in England which is safer than inside

But I'd also argue:

- Scotland got the best approach in terms of recognising children and outside was safest the earliest

Each nation within the UK fecked up in the first wave, perhaps NI the least, but England or Northern Ireland fecked up the autumn/winter period the most even if they still all got things wrong.

Boris now acting more cautious than needs be so, in combination with successful vaccine roll-out, people forget how needlessly risky his government's actions were during autumn/winter when most was known about the virus.

At this time people haven't recognised downside of Drakeford's cautious approach, but that may hit during recovery if ours is slower/more difficult than in England's. It's likely that Labour will point more to Brexit and Tories more to management of Labour to confuse things.

Drakeford was also more cautious and we didnt have the fust pumping bullsh!t like world class track and trace.

Lets not forget his unforgivable backing of Dominic Cummings

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Yes I agree. I wasnt going to vote. The thought of RT Davies as First Minister was so unthinkable that I voted.
    Do we have a strong Tory candidate in Wales? RT Davies is such a populist moron and highest profile of the rest are more interested in getting a peerage from PM than serving in Wales.

Conservative Wales should be a strong party but Tories are far, far more interested in winning English seats than Welsh ones.

Where are these final 8 seats?!

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Refusing to lockdown in the autumn, refusing to lockdown over Christmas, going on holiday during February 2020, not attending the first five Cobra meetings on Covid, ignoring scientific advice on shaking hands, attending rugby internationals at packed stadiums, messing up school returns, messing up track and trace, messing up exam results, messing up free meals for children ........
    give me time, you caught me on the hop with that question.

Refusing to lockdown in the autumn, refusing to lockdown over Christmas, going on holiday during February 2020, not attending the first five Cobra meetings on Covid, ignoring scientific advice on shaking hands, attending rugby internationals at packed stadiums, messing up school returns, messing up track and trace, messing up exam results, messing up free meals for children ........
    give me time, you caught me on the hop with that question.
    Herd immunity

Just listening to Radio Wales, seems Leanne Wood is/was a very sore loser, according to the other candidates

BBC reported that Tories won that list seat by 21, Nation.cymru reporting that it was Labour...

8 seats are soon. So far Green's have outperformed Abolish but South Wales East is probably the former's best chance which hasn't been called yet.