Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
Your attitude and opinions are a golden example of why Labour is doing so badly and the left wing is basically unelectable. According to you, anybody who dared vote Conservative is stark staring bonkers. Well, thats over 14 million people at the last election. You need to look a bit closer to home if you want to understand why people vote Conservative - its because the alternative is even more horrific to many people.
That does appear to be happening. But clearly working class people are bonkers to vote Tory. I am old enough to remember Thatcher trying to convince working class people they were 'middle' class, a strategy that has worked. Back then there was manufacturing, a coal industry, a steel industry etc but the world has changed. Most people now work in office based jobs, as the 'blue collar' jobs have gone. Getting people to consider themselves shareholders and home owners converted a lot of people over to the blue side. Most of the shareholders sold up straightaway and made few quid. And people could buy their council houses back then, but the Tories made it easier due to massive discounts.

And people , I think, are now greedier and more concerned about their own wealth and status than anything else. If people wanted the middle ground why doesn't the LibDems get more votes? I find hard to believe how people can switch between Labour and Conservative. Disillusioned Labour voters would never do that in the past, they may go to Plaid or LD but not the Tories. Likewise disillusioned Tories.

Wales, well the South Wales valleys and the so called Red Wall up North, are the last bastions of Labour votes. Scotland has gone it's own way mainly to the detriment of Labour and now even places like Hartlepool are electing Tory MPs. I think Plaid have failed too, Wales are not interested in Independence but I do believe they would have done better had they not focused in that particular issue. The LDs look finished in Wales though.

I don't think any of the three main leaders are popular, Drakeford because of the restrictions, The PC bloke who always very shouty and angry, and Andrew 'RT' Davies. who just ambles on in a monotone.

So we will get a Labour /PC coalition then?