+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Bamba

Bamba

Back on the bench today, great to see

Re: Bamba

Would have got an amazing reception. Hope he stays on at the club I really do.

Hopefully comes on scores a worldie, concedes a calamity and goes off with a smile

Gotta love Sol

He did come for about 10 seconds.
    Great to see.

Superb. My favourite player BEFORE the cancer. He's reinforced that now.

A few of you have been directly been affected by the bastard of an illness over the years so I imagine he's a great ambassador for recovery.

All the best lads, hope to see you personally next season.

Still want him as our manager .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Still want him as our manager .
    BAMBA OUT!!

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    Would have got an amazing reception. Hope he stays on at the club I really do.
    I echo what you say . He really would have had a great ovation coming on.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I echo what you say . He really would have had a great ovation coming on.
    What a man, cancer ****ed with the wrong man

Despite knowing his club was about to be relegated, Rotherham boss Paul Warne took time to embrace Sol Bamba as the City defender was waiting to come on. Class

20210508_170838293_iOS.jpg

Manager Mick McCarthy says Sol Bamba's return to action after a cancer diagnosis has prompted delight throughout Cardiff City.

Bamba, 36, came off the bench in Cardiff's draw with Rotherham United on the final day of the Championship season.

It was the defender's first appearance since Cardiff announced in January that he was undergoing chemotherapy.

"Sol has been a big part of this club for a long time," McCarthy said.

"He got on the pitch and he was delighted with that and the lads were all delighted for him, as I am and the staff are.

"He has been a big part of the club and everybody loves him."

Bamba spoke of his "pure joy" at returning to training last month having been diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin lymphoma.

The Ivory Coast international said at the time there was "still a long way to go" in his recovery, but he came on in the 89th minute against Rotherham to make a first Cardiff appearance since December 2020.

McCarthy says the decision to introduce Bamba as the Millers sought a late winner was tactical.

"I did think when they were starting to making substitutions and bring players on, they were going to be looking for a throw-in, a free-kick, a corner, and I wanted to get him on," he added.

Former Leeds, Leicester and Hibernian player Bamba, who has made 118 appearances since joining Cardiff in 2016, sees his contract expire this summer.

Cardiff's draw with saw them finish eighth in the Championship, while Rotherham's failure to win meant they were relegated to League One.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57042748

Let's hope the Club give him a contract as player/coach, that would be a superb decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Let's hope the Club give him a contract as player/coach, that would be a superb decision.
    I don't think it would be a superb decision to give a playing contract to a player who will be turning 37 next season. I wish him well, but I suspect today might have been his last appearance for us.

Lovely to see him return to the pitch this season.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I don't think it would be a superb decision to give a playing contract to a player who will be turning 37 next season. I wish him well, but I suspect today might have been his last appearance for us.
    Not as a first team player/coach, but under 23's and coaching the youngsters.. You never know though even at that age he could actually prove valuable on the bench.

Sol is brilliant when on Sky. He could have a career in the media

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Despite knowing his club was about to be relegated, Rotherham boss Paul Warne took time to embrace Sol Bamba as the City defender was waiting to come on. Class

20210508_170838293_iOS.jpg
    Absolutely 💯

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Manager Mick McCarthy says Sol Bamba's return to action after a cancer diagnosis has prompted delight throughout Cardiff City.

Bamba, 36, came off the bench in Cardiff's draw with Rotherham United on the final day of the Championship season.

It was the defender's first appearance since Cardiff announced in January that he was undergoing chemotherapy.

"Sol has been a big part of this club for a long time," McCarthy said.

"He got on the pitch and he was delighted with that and the lads were all delighted for him, as I am and the staff are.

"He has been a big part of the club and everybody loves him."

Bamba spoke of his "pure joy" at returning to training last month having been diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin lymphoma.

The Ivory Coast international said at the time there was "still a long way to go" in his recovery, but he came on in the 89th minute against Rotherham to make a first Cardiff appearance since December 2020.

McCarthy says the decision to introduce Bamba as the Millers sought a late winner was tactical.

"I did think when they were starting to making substitutions and bring players on, they were going to be looking for a throw-in, a free-kick, a corner, and I wanted to get him on," he added.

Former Leeds, Leicester and Hibernian player Bamba, who has made 118 appearances since joining Cardiff in 2016, sees his contract expire this summer.

Cardiff's draw with saw them finish eighth in the Championship, while Rotherham's failure to win meant they were relegated to League One.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57042748
    You can see the effect treatment has had on him , poor sod

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Not as a first team player/coach, but under 23's and coaching the youngsters.. You never know though even at that age he could actually prove valuable on the bench.
    I'd like to see him stay involved if possible. He seems like he has a genuine affinity for the club and the area.

great to see him back

Got to agree with the above, it was his last 1st team appearance and a massive shame us fans were not around to say goodbye to him

BUT, it would be great to see him stay at the club in some role or the other, U23 coach ? ? ?

McCarthy should find a role for him at the club.coaching/managing the youngsters sounds right up his street.

Can’t really offer him anything from a playing point of view.
    But he has to be remain at the club, he is a big influence and commands a lot of respect.
    With Mick and Terry only here short term he can learn a lot and it would be incredible to hand over the reigns at the end of that contract to big Sol (not from sacking).