+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wycombe, Wednesday and Rotherham relegated. City finish 8th

Re: Wycombe, Wednesday and Rotherham relegated. City finish 8th

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    It clearly wasn’t
    PPG since Mick took over would have had us finishing 4th over the course of a full season so quite clearly the squad is good enough. More or less the same squad as 19/20 which finished in the play offs plus Moore, Wilson and NG added.

The standard of the Championship has been dire this season. To call our squad a “very mediocre championship squad” is quite frankly laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Success is relative.

City got to the play-offs last season. They failed to do so (by a considerable distance) this season and were knocked out of both cups at the first hurdle. If you believe that's a 'relatively successful' season, it seems you're very easily pleased. Unlike the club's board, whose targets for 2020/21 were certainly not met.

In terms of points, City finished closer to 14th than 6th. I think that demonstrates how successful the season was.
    We didn’t finish 14th though. We finished 8th.
    Do you think reaching the play offs and getting beat would have counted as success? Or getting through a few rounds in both cups?
    I’m not easily pleased, but i’’m also not unrealistic in my expectations when i look at the squad we have at the beginning of each season, and who is managing us.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    PPG since Mick took over would have had us finishing 4th over the course of a full season so quite clearly the squad is good enough. More or less the same squad as 19/20 which finished in the play offs plus Moore, Wilson and NG added.

The standard of the Championship has been dire this season. To call our squad a “very mediocre championship squad” is quite frankly laughable.
    That’s your opinion, which your entitled to, but it’s not mine. You’ve already admitted the standard in the division this season was dire, so only a very mediocre squad would miss out on the play offs.
    Off which there were plenty, including us.

We didn’t finish 14th though. We finished 8th. Do you think reaching the play offs and getting beat would have counted as success?
    Finishing 8th was no different to finishing 14th. The end result was exactly the same.

Reaching the play-offs and getting beaten would be more successful than not reaching the play-offs at all. However, to me at least, that would not constitute a successful season as the club did exactly that last season. It wouldn't have signalled that progress had been made.

There is no way in the world that this has been a 'fairly successful season' for Cardiff City. It's been a season that has been mediocre at best and it has ended without any success.

Finishing 8th was no different to finishing 14th. The end result was exactly the same.

Reaching the play-offs and getting beaten would be more successful than not reaching the play-offs at all. However, to me at least, that would not constitute a successful season as the club did exactly that last season. It wouldn't have signalled that progress had been made.

There is no way in the world that this has been a 'fairly successful season' for Cardiff City. It's been a season that has been mediocre at best and it has ended without any success.

Reaching the play-offs and getting beaten would be more successful than not reaching the play-offs at all
    So following that train of thought, finishing 8th, is more successful than finishing 14th?
    We got there in the end 👍

the most forgetful season i can not! remember

So following that train of thought, finishing 8th, is more successful than finishing 14th?
    Would you regard finishing 11th next season as 'fairly successful'?

Would you regard finishing 11th next season as 'fairly successful'?
    As i said earlier, it depends on what our Squad looks like for next season. If we were to lose say 3 or 4 of our best players, and failed to replace them with any quality, then 11th place could be regarded as “fairly” successful.
    If Tan splashes the cash, and we bring in real quality, then 11th will be under whelming.

As i said earlier, it depends on what our Squad looks like for next season.
    So, you believe that having finished 5th in 2019/20 and having added the likes of Kieffer Moore and Harry Wilson to the squad, 2020/21 was 'fairly successful' despite finishing only 8th.

With FFP I doubt Tan can actually splash the cash.

Its going to be an interesting summer.

Frees loans maybe a small fee or 2 particularly if we sell Moore.

Im not counting on 7m for Will Vaulks.

So, you believe that having finished 5th in 2019/20 and having added the likes of Kieffer Moore and Harry Wilson to the squad, 2020/21 was 'fairly successful' despite finishing only 8th.
    We finished roughly where i thought we would. I would have classed finishing like Derby did as fairly unsuccessful.

The three that go up can be classed as successful, the three that go down as unsuccessful all the others are more or less ‘ere we go again. Football, I s’pose, is all about the present time, a lot of Derby fans most probably had their ‘successful’ heads on at the final whistle yesterday, while the team that gets beat at Wembley in a few weeks time will be quite the opposite and barring any financial shenanigans they’ll both start on 0 points come August with all the hopes and dreams that come with the start of a new season.

It’s been a season to forget, almost as if it didn’t really happen

You think finishing 9 points shy of the play-offs (having finished in the play-offs last season) is a success?
    Measuring success (or lack of) is one of those curiosities. Finishing 9 points shy of the playoffs at the start of the season would probably have been seen as a bit of a let down. By the time Harris was sacked, that would have been a fantasy! When McCarthy dragged us into 6th, finishing 9 points adrift is again a bit of a let down. How you define success changes throughout a season, I think. We could have finished much lower than we did, so there's an element of success in that we didn't end up in a relegation battle, given how the season panned out, but when looked at from the reference point of last season, given the signings we've made, it's not been one to remember.

I remember getting into arguments on here during the reign of King Dave Jones. The season we finished 7th, missing out to Preston after an almost unassailable lead over them, there were quite a few fans who thought that meant progress, that it was a good season as it was the highest finish in many years. The fact we were in the running for automatic promotion before those last fateful four games meant nothing to some. The reality was that a 7th placed finish, given the season we had had, was utter garbage.