+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wycombe, Wednesday and Rotherham relegated. City finish 8th

Wycombe, Wednesday and Rotherham relegated. City finish 8th

Derby survive.

Play offs

Barnsley v Swansea
    Brentford v Bournmouth

Cardiff end the season in 8th place on 68 points.

Goals galore in the Championship today, an average of 4 per game)

Barnsley 2 - 2 Norwich
    Blackburn 5 - 2 Birmingham (Armstrong hat trick)
    Bournemouth 0 - 2 Stoke
    Bristol 1 - 3 Brentford
    Cardiff 1 - 1 Rotherham
    Coventry 6 - 1 Millwall (last game at St Andrew's)
    Derby 3 - 3 Wednesday
    M'boro 0 - 3 Wycombe
    Forest 1 - 2 Preston
    QPR 3 - 1 Luton
    Reading 2 - 2 Huddersfield
    Watford 2 - 0 Swansea

Re: Wycombe, Wednesday and Rotherham relegated. City finish 8th

Sheffield Wednesday finish bottom but were just one goal away from survival.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Sheffield Wednesday finish bottom but were just one goal away from survival.
    Shame about Wednesday and Rotherham

Looking ahead to next season it might've been best if Pack had skied his shot at the end sending both Derby and Wednesday down and giving us a slightly better chance of either avoiding relegation or getting promoted next year. That said despite their spirit the Millers can only really blame themselves as they spurned a host of convertible chances which should've seen them win with ease.

two of sheffield wednesday's goals would have been given offside if var had been available.Pehaps city could make a bid to bring Bannan to CCS.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Shame about Wednesday and Rotherham
    So our 88th minute goal saved Derby......sickening

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Exactly the same situation as 2015/16 under the management of the much-maligned Russell Slade - 8th place and 68 points. Back then, City finished six points shy of the play-offs. This time around it was nine points.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Exactly the same situation as 2015/16 under the management of the much-maligned Russell Slade - 8th place and 68 points. Back then, City finished six points shy of the play-offs. This time around it was nine points.
    Which is nothing less than a damning indictment of Neil Harris!

Mick McCarthy was manager for 22 games.

10 wins, 9 draws, 3 defeats.

Lord knows where we would have been if Harris had stayed.

Lord knows where we would have been if Harris had stayed.
    I’d guess mid-table. Probably lower in mid-table than where they finished in mid-table, but mid-table all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Madassa View Post
    Looking ahead to next season it might've been best if Pack had skied his shot at the end sending both Derby and Wednesday down and giving us a slightly better chance of either avoiding relegation or getting promoted next year. That said despite their spirit the Millers can only really blame themselves as they spurned a host of convertible chances which should've seen them win with ease.
    Whenever I saw them in highlights, it was always the same. They just can't finish.

I’d guess mid-table. Probably lower in mid-table than where they finished in mid-table, but mid-table all the same.
    Well what is mid-table? 7th through 18th? 8th through 17th? The latter being the minimum requirement for City finishing in mid table. Given that we were 17th at one point it seems no given that we’d definitely have finished mid-table under Harris. If we can get so close to above mid-table under Mick, it follows that there was every chance of finishing below mid-table under Harris!

I've seen virtually every game, but to be honest I think I'm glad the seasons over. It's not the same without fans. Hope next season fans can come back.
    Football does not seem to have been so intense although that might be my imagination.
    What can I say about City? Not sure, but I guess 8th is about right. In flashes the attacking play has been excellent, the defence sound, but other games we have been sloppy and full of mistakes. Our ball retention is parks standard.
    Next season we need to sort our midfield and attacking 3rd. Hopefully the budget will allow a couple of decent frees.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dargavel View Post
    Well what is mid-table? 7th through 18th? 8th through 17th? The latter being the minimum requirement for City finishing in mid table. Given that we were 17th at one point it seems no given that we’d definitely have finished mid-table under Harris. If we can get so close to above mid-table under Mick, it follows that there was every chance of finishing below mid-table under Harris!
    What is mid-table? Good question. I suppose it's down to individual interpretation. As far as I'm concerned, City were never serious promotion candidates. They finished nine points short of the play-offs, but realistically it was ten when you consider Bournemouth's vastly superior goal difference. They were never serious relegation candidates, either. To me, that's the definition of a mid-table side.

When Harris was sacked, City were 15th in the table, having lost five Championship games on the trot. The team was obviously struggling and the manager had clearly lost his way a little, but I believe too much has been made of that losing streak. After all, those five games included two against champions Norwich, who would most likely have beaten City twice at any stage of the season, Brentford, who are one of the best teams in the Championship and were in great form at the time, QPR, who eventually finished level on points with City, and Wycombe, who also beat Reading and Bournemouth on their own patch.

There's no doubt whatsoever that results improved under McCarthy, but I don't believe City were heading for relegation under Harris. They were in mid-table, 9 points clear of the relegation zone when he was sacked. The bottom three at the time were the three sides who eventually got relegated. I think a mid-table finish was pretty much a certainty, although it would probably have been a lower mid-table finish than the eventual mid-table finish.

If there are 24 teams in a division, then finishing mid table must surely mean between 9th and 16th?

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    If there are 24 teams in a division, then finishing mid table must surely mean between 9th and 16th?
    Yes, it must. Therefore, QPR, who finished 9th on 68 points, were a mid-table side, but Cardiff, who finished 8th on 68 points, were not.

Yes, it must. Therefore, QPR, who finished 9th on 68 points, were a mid-table side, but Cardiff, who finished 8th on 68 points, were not.
    I’d go along with that. You can only gauge a finishing place in 2 ways. You either go top half and bottom half, which is self explanatory, or to use the term ‘mid table”, you have to split it into 3.
    So we finished top 3rd. Which in itself, makes 7th and 8th place bitter sweet.
    It’s a fairly successful season, but we miss out on the play offs.

It’s a fairly successful season, but we miss out on the play offs.
    You think finishing 9 points shy of the play-offs (having finished in the play-offs last season) is a success?

You think finishing 9 points shy of the play-offs (having finished in the play-offs last season) is a success?
    That’s why i used the term “fairly successful”
    When a season begins, there are favourites for promotion and favourites for relegation.
    We were in neither group at the beginning of this season, despite reaching last seasons play offs.
    We have a very mediocre squad as far as championship standards go, and very few if any City fans would have expected to go up this season.
    Couple that with the pandemic and all that entailed, then changing managers, so finishing in 8th place, imo, was fairly successful.
    Now Derby for instance, even though they stayed up, had a very unsuccessful campaign, for the expectations they must have had.

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Derby survive.

Play offs

Barnsley v Swansea
    Brentford v Bournmouth

Goals galore in the Championship today, an average of 4 per game)

Barnsley 2 - 2 Norwich
    Blackburn 5 - 2 Birmingham (Armstrong hat trick)
    Bournemouth 0 - 2 Stoke
    Bristol 1 - 3 Brentford
    Cardiff 1 - 1 Rotherham
    Coventry 6 - 1 Millwall (last game at St Andrew's)
    Derby 3 - 3 Wednesday
    M'boro 0 - 3 Wycombe
    Forest 1 - 2 Preston
    QPR 3 - 1 Luton
    Reading 2 - 2 Huddersfield
    Watford 2 - 0 Swansea
    Why is it that Bristol City always flatter to deceive?

I'd use the term 'totally unsuccessful' as City achieved no success whatsoever.

Incidentally, Derby's 'very unsuccessful' campaign has resulted in exactly the same thing as City's 'fairly successful' campaign - Championship football next season.

When a season begins, there are favourites for promotion and favourites for relegation.
    We were in neither group at the beginning of this season, despite reaching last seasons play offs.
    We have a very mediocre squad as far as championship standards go, and very few if any City fans would have expected to go up this season.
    Couple that with the pandemic and all that entailed, then changing managers, so finishing in 8th place, imo, was fairly successful.
    Now Derby for instance, even though they stayed up, had a very unsuccessful campaign, for the expectations they must have had.
    “A very mediocre squad by championship standards”. Disagree. Completely. That squad was good enough for play offs.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    “A very mediocre squad by championship standards”. Disagree. Completely. That squad was good enough for play offs.
    It clearly wasn’t

I'd use the term 'totally unsuccessful' as City achieved no success whatsoever.

Incidentally, Derby's 'very unsuccessful' campaign has resulted in exactly the same thing as City's 'fairly successful' campaign - Championship football next season.
    So 22 championship teams will have had an unsuccessful season and about 13 Premier league teams as well?

So 22 championship teams will have had an unsuccessful season and about 13 Premier league teams as well?
    Success is relative.

City got to the play-offs last season. They failed to do so (by a considerable distance) this season and were knocked out of both cups at the first hurdle. If you believe that's a 'relatively successful' season, it seems you're very easily pleased. Unlike the club's board, whose targets for 2020/21 were certainly not met.

In terms of points, City finished closer to 14th than 6th. I think that demonstrates how successful the season was.