+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The football under McCarthy

Re: The football under McCarthy

Obviously no reality at all here this evening

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    It's Bournemouth, who finished sixth last season (behind Barnsley and the Jacks) and who have lost their first-choice goalkeeper and their top scorer during the summer.

They are magnificent though, according to Mick McCarthy:

"Bournemouth are an almost perfect Championship team. They’re athletic and they have good footballers, they’re big and powerful and they can play so it was always going to be a tough one for us. For 55 minutes I was delighted with how we did, we set up to frustrate them. We blinked once, they played through us and we’ve been done."

This is the Bournemouth side who drew 0-0 at Hull in their last away game.
    Apparently we need to get real for thinking like this.

There is an album out there

It's called ......

Who do we think we are ?

It's Bournemouth, who finished sixth last season (behind Barnsley and the Jacks) and who have lost their first-choice goalkeeper and their top scorer during the summer.

"Bournemouth are an almost perfect Championship team. They’re athletic and they have good footballers, they’re big and powerful and they can play so it was always going to be a tough one for us. For 55 minutes I was delighted with how we did, we set up to frustrate them. We blinked once, they played through us and we’ve been done."

It's Warnock esque. Very deflating reading such defeatist comments from the manager, sums up the apathy around the club this season

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    There is an album out there

It's called ......

Who do we think we are ?
    So who do you think Cardiff City are?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    So who do you think Cardiff City are?
    A championship football team , battling for a play off place . It could be far worse .

Do you think we are a big club with entitlement to a top 8 premiership finish ?

Ask fans of forest , Wednesday and Derby who they think they are

A championship football team , battling for a play off place . It could be far worse .

��

He didn't say they were magnificent, he said they were an almost perfect Championship team, which isn't the same thing. "They're big and powerful and they can play" - well, we're big and powerful too but there the similarity ends. Perhaps Mick recognises this and reading between the lines would like a Bournemouth-like team. Whether he could build one or would be given the funds to do so is another question but at the moment they're a fair distance ahead of us.

I didn't watch Hull v Bournemouth so don't how the former set up but maybe their tactics were to frustrate them or maybe Bournemouth had an off day.

Bournemouth have been a top flight team for several seasons

They are clearly a better footballing team than us and many other sides I this division

I mean if people think we can out fox teams like Bournemouth they need a reality check

We are a big physical side and that's the way it is at the moment
    Did you watch the game?

There's no doubt that City's results improved significantly in the 22 games after Mick McCarthy took control in January. His impressive record from the first eleven matches he was in charge reads as follows:

Won 7, Drew 4, Lost 0, Scored 23, Conceded 7, Points 25

Things levelled out considerably after that incredible start and the record in McCarthy's last 11 games was as follows:

Won 3, Drew 5, Lost 3, Scored 13, Conceded 14, Points 14

But what about the football itself? Was it more entertaining and better to watch under McCarthy than it had been under Harris, as some contributors have suggested? Was the style pretty much the same? Or was the football even more basic? Obviously, the answers to those questions are entirely subjective, but personally I don't believe the style of City's play became any more attractive under McCarthy. If anything, I thought it became even more attritional than it was under Harris.

Of course, Big Mick was only working with the hand he'd been dealt. Next season will be the real test as regards how his team plays. Nevertheless, I thought I'd take a look at the stats from the match reports on the BBC football site from 2020/21 and see if they provide any clues about what we can expect in 2021/22 from Mick McCarthy's Cardiff City.

In the first 24 Championship games while Neil Harris was manager, City averaged a shade under 48% possession. The side averaged 11.7 shots per game, of which an average of 4 were on target.

In the 22 Championship games overseen by Mick McCarthy, City averaged a fraction over 41% possession. The team averaged 11.3 shots per game, of which an average of 4.5 were on target.

In 24 games under Harris, City's possession stats were 50% or higher on 13 occasions. In McCarthy's 22 games, the figure was just 5.

Under Harris, City's possession stats were 35% or less on 3 occasions in 24 games. Under McCarthy, that figure was 8 in 22 games.

So, City tended to have significantly more of the ball under Harris than they did under McCarthy and the tallies for both shots at goal and shots on target were broadly similar. The team converted marginally more chances under McCarthy (an average of 1.6 goals per game compared to 1.2 goals per game under Harris), but the biggest difference was in the defensive figures - an average of 1.5 goals conceded per game under Harris, but just 0.9 goals per game conceded under McCarthy.

These stats can be interpreted in a number of ways, but my view (based not only on the stats but what I've witnessed while watching the team on TV this season) is this: I don't think the football became any better to watch after Harris was sacked and on occasions it was a good deal worse. However, as a rule, the side was much better organised under McCarthy and the defending was consistently better.

Transfer windows are always interesting to a degree, but this year's will be even more so as Big Mick shuffles his pack. I like McCarthy as an individual and I'm hopeful he'll bring in a few players who will make his team better to watch, but based on the evidence so far, those hopes aren't particularly high.
    Quite frankly, at this point who really gives a shit about any of this. The template is pretty much set. I’ll watch when we’re free to air over here but I’m not paying a penny to watch… it’s total junk

So what is it about the football under McCarthy that you believe is better than the football under Harris?
    To be honest i don't think i could seperate the pair of them. Both use terrible tactics and are a torture to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Quite frankly, at this point who really gives a shit about any of this.
    It was posted on 09/05/2021.

Given the money spent in the past ten years or so, it should be far better.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Of course it should.

This plucky little Cardiff mentality gets on my tits, yes we have been in the dungeon and had shit crowds, but we progressed over the years and really should be wanting more than just treading water playing 1920s football in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It's understandable that there seems to be more resentment now towards the manager / board now, than when our problems were actually being created but it does remind me of this tweet somewhat

https://twitter.com/screaminbutcalm/...642878976?s=20

As I said earlier in the thread, I don't think we are any better under MM than we were under NH. Our underlying stats are pretty similar and the only thing that improved initially was we stopped conceding early soft goals for a period when we had our good run.
    I had concerns about the length of contract given to MM, and some of the recruitment.

Moving on to today it now feels as though we are in the middle of an enforced rebuild, MM is a safe pair of hands who is there to keep us in the division and bring through as many youngsters as possible while we clear out the last few stragglers still on premier league wages.
    I was never expecting a promotion push this season, and probably not next season either.
    It's going to be a real change of pace for a lot of fans, but I'd much prefer the board try to take a longer term plan and stick to it than be taken in by the Warnocks of this world selling quick fixes.

It was posted on 09/05/2021.
    Thanks… I did miss that. My response though is how I feel right now…I was totally disillusioned by his appointment when it happened and of course the great run we went on made me question myself (because I’m a City fan, so prone to wearing rose tinted spectacles)…. but my gut feels like it was right. I don’t think I’ve ever been as ambivalent about the club as I feel today.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Of course it should.

This plucky little Cardiff mentality gets on my tits, yes we have been in the dungeon and had shit crowds, but we progressed over the years and really should be wanting more than just treading water playing 1920s football in 2020.
    Me too! That's a surefire recipe to get nowhere fast. I just for the life of me can't understand this DMLesque attitude of not accepting any criticism of the club. We criticize because we LOVE the club and not because we hate it. But we realize in the best interests of the club it needs to make changes, and for me the ultimate responsibility lies with this unfortunate board.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Me too! That's a surefire recipe to get nowhere fast. I just for the life of me can't understand this DMLesque attitude of not accepting any criticism of the club. We criticize because we LOVE the club and not because we hate it. But we realize in the best interests of the club it needs to make changes, and for me the ultimate responsibility lies with this unfortunate board.
    DML is a wind up account.

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    To be honest i don't think i could seperate the pair of them. Both use terrible tactics and are a torture to watch.
    No great surprise that nobody has employed Harris since he left Cardiff. My guess is he'll turn up in League One next.

Is it the Warnock era we now crave

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Nicely put

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Is it the Warnock era we now crave
    No thanks his tactics and game plan was shite to.
    I crave something like we played under Dave Jones but with a little bit more backbone..

Of course it should.

We got to 2 cup finals and almost won the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    We got to 2 cup finals and almost won the league.
    Yes?

Nicely put
    I agree. I’m going to add that if you’ve paid to watch, listen or follow, shelled out a load of money, time, energy, then NOT having a bloody good moan about a lack of entertainment, ability, skill, would be weird. To sum up, I loathe watching MM’s shite football and listening to his banal, cliched sound bites or bizarre explanations of an excuse for tactics. And I don’t like our board. And I don’t like that there’s no decent coffee at the ground! ⚽️☕️🦙