+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Totally Off Topic - Covid Tests And Flights To Green Zone

Totally Off Topic - Covid Tests And Flights To Green Zone

Hi - sorry to clog the board up but I'm hoping that someone can point me in the right direction for a bit of advice. I'm looking to book a few days away in July to Portugal. Portugal is on the green list and double vaxed so looks like I can travel. But I have seen somewhere about the need to have a Covid test before going and on returning. I won't need to stay in a hotel to isolate I think. But I can't find any definitive information on the Covid test. Anyone got any experience with this? Or got a link for further info?

Any help gratetfully accepted.

Re: Totally Off Topic - Covid Tests And Flights To Green Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Maccy Blue View Post
    Hi - sorry to clog the board up but I'm hoping that someone can point me in the right direction for a bit of advice. I'm looking to book a few days away in July to Portugal. Portugal is on the green list and double vaxed so looks like I can travel. But I have seen somewhere about the need to have a Covid test before going and on returning. I won't need to stay in a hotel to isolate I think. But I can't find any definitive information on the Covid test. Anyone got any experience with this? Or got a link for further info?

I believe that you must use the government recommend COVID test at about £80 each way. I have a friend who commutes back and forth to Switzerland regularly and he tells me that the airports are a nightmare coming back in, queuing to get your tests checked it’s a slow process. God knows what it will be like when holiday makers arrive at the airports Personally I’m not going to travel for the foreseeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    I believe that you must use the government recommend COVID test at about £80 each way. I have a friend who commutes back and forth to Switzerland regularly and he tells me that the airports are a nightmare coming back in, queuing to get your tests checked it’s a slow process. God knows what it will be like when holiday makers arrive at the airports Personally I’m not going to travel for the foreseeable.
    Cheers for that. There seems to be some misleading info about. I read somwehere that it is a test on the way out, one at the airport before you leave on the way back and then another when you get back to the UK? Then others have said it's a self test on the way out a few days before and then just the full one when you get back. Even the Gov website doesn't actually tell you the proper facts.

as it stands you will need to take a PCR or Lat flow test AND fill in a form saying if you have been to other countries in the last 10 days ( passenger locator form ) before you get on the place in Portugal ( it was in the last 72 hours, but they think that is due to change to 24 hours ) , then before the end of day 2 of your arrival in the UK you need a PCR test

from what i understand from my kids doing 2 tests per week, the free tests they ( the NHS ) send out are Lat flow tests, so that will not cost you anything

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-ambe...and#green-list

It’s straight forward. The queues coming back into uk have been long, typically around 2 hours at passport check. When I last flew back in March an official told us that 60% of people had incomplete paperwork.

Thanks for the replies and the link. Looks like my cheap get away is going to set me back another £120. Might hang fire I think and save up until all this has been lifted - I know it might be a while!

I've got a bunch of the lat flow tests that my kids have been given but would need to book a PCR test then after I get back. I'll have to have a think about it. I had worked out five nights in Porto for about £160 with flights and accommodation. Hmm, decisions.

Thanks for the replies and the link. Looks like my cheap get away is going to set me back another £120. Might hang fire I think and save up until all this has been lifted - I know it might be a while!

I've got a bunch of the lat flow tests that my kids have been given but would need to book a PCR test then after I get back. I'll have to have a think about it. I had worked out five nights in Porto for about £160 with flights and accommodation. Hmm, decisions.
    Your test will probably cost more than the trip......unless you develop a "cough" and get one done for free by the NHS. Might be able to get away without paying that way but not sure. Like you, my daughter is off to Portugal in 2 weeks but is prepared to pay just to get a bit of sun.

It is no wonder that the experts are predicting a third wave of Covid later this year, with the number of irresponsible people already arranging to go abroad this year at all. No doubt there will already be a long line of people trying to find ways of getting into India for the ‘holiday of a lifetime’ even whilst thousands of people are still dying there every day.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    It is no wonder that the experts are predicting a third wave of Covid later this year, with the number of irresponsible people already arranging to go abroad this year at all. No doubt there will already be a long line of people trying to find ways of getting into India for the ‘holiday of a lifetime’ even whilst thousands of people are still dying there every day.
    Well your boy Boris could stop all that couldnt he.

Amber to Green 17th May.
    Last edited by IanD; 10-05-21 at 09:43. Reason: Misread government website!

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Well your boy Boris could stop all that couldnt he.
    Yes he could but could you imagine the furore from the travel industry, other MP’s and public if he did. But its also about personal responsibility as well. Why anyone would want to go abroad in the current situation is beyond me. They are queuing up like lemmings to get on the first flights with no thoughts for their own safety, their families safety or the safety of the country as a whole. I was sickened by the way the travel industry people reacted to the partial opening up on May 17th - only thinking about lining their own pockets.

Yes he could but could you imagine the furore from the travel industry, other MP’s and public if he did. But its also about personal responsibility as well. Why anyone would want to go abroad in the current situation is beyond me. They are queuing up like lemmings to get on the first flights with no thoughts for their own safety, their families safety or the safety of the country as a whole. I was sickened by the way the travel industry people reacted to the partial opening up on May 17th - only thinking about lining their own pockets.
    So the person who sets national Covid policy gets a free pass from you because if he did what you imply would be the right thing there would be a 'furore'.

Meanwhile the people who take advantage of the policy change introduced by your boy Johnson and the Tories sicken you?

You are a bit of a hypocrite aren't you?

So you think Boris has bottled it.?

People will go if the leader gives the green light.

Just moved a holiday I had booked in Cyprus for June to next year. It is in the Amber catagory so you could go but with endless hassle getting tests before you go and before you come back and quarantining anyway even if the tests are negative, simply not worth the hassle. Looks like it will be Little Haven in Pembokeshire and Anglsey for me this year same as last year.