+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swansea's accounts

Swansea's accounts

https://twitter.com/SwissRamble/stat...808203267?s=19

on the pitch I think they're a bit lucky to have finished in the playoffs, and anything could happen from here.

off the pitch, however, they still seem one of the better run championship clubs.

despite parachute payments reducing, they managed to make a small profit and despite cutting the wage bill significantly they were still competitive in the league.

Re: Swansea's accounts

The difference is that they produce their own players that they sell on for a profit.
    In that sense, we’re behind them by a couple of years, but it looks like we’re now heading in that direction.

Swansea wether people like it or not has always had a strong football tradition and has always produced good young local talent or rather found it and developed it

We have a far larger population to draw from and Cardiff is a far bigger city with a huge pool of youngsters mad on football right on its doorstep from inner city Grangetown, Butetown , Riverside etc

But they never get seen

Somethings going wrong

Nathan Blake was born in Cardiff, lived in Newport yet got spotted by Chelsea

And there are more

Yes, interesting how Swansea have kept their head above water.
    Dont think their supporters will be that happy. Cooper was given nothing to strengthen the team, at a time when the purchase of a decent striker might have made all the difference to them.
    I think we can look forward to a season of austerity ourselves. Highest earners off the book, and saleable assets gone. I dont see how we could resist a big bid for Moore, or even Morrison.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Dont think their supporters will be that happy. Cooper was given nothing to strengthen the team, at a time when the purchase of a decent striker might have made all the difference to them.
    I think we can look forward to a season of austerity ourselves. Highest earners off the book, and saleable assets gone. I dont see how we could resist a big bid for Moore, or even Morrison.
    Even with a striker it would have been a big gamble, they had a run of lucky results / late penalties etc without that thy could easily have been mid table. They probably didn't think that adding a striker was likely to get them to the top two, therefore not worth going into debt over. FWIW i don't think they would have caught Watford or Norwich.

Swansea regularly sell players for £10 million plus, we don't - we can cut wages and costs all we want, but our pitiful record when it comes to producing our own, sellable, talent in recent years, plus the fact that it is rare for any of our signings to be sold at a profit puts us at a huge disadvantage compared to Swansea. Not having anyone bar Liverpool and Arsenal (with a one off) loan us players (our style of play may not help us when it comes to clubs letting their good young players come here) doesn't help either. At last, there are signs that we're willing to give youngsters a try and Moore is definitely a signing that has worked, while someone like Ng highlights a market that we do seem to be more willing to explore now.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Actually in general they are completely deluded and want Cooper out.

If they dont go up they will blame him.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    https://twitter.com/SwissRamble/stat...808203267?s=19

on the pitch I think they're a bit lucky to have finished in the playoffs, and anything could happen from here.

off the pitch, however, they still seem one of the better run championship clubs.

despite parachute payments reducing, they managed to make a small profit and despite cutting the wage bill significantly they were still competitive in the league.
    as an aside, I'm not sure why our numbers aren't on that thread? perhaps they're just too depressing

They like us, will be hit hard next season with no parachute payments. It does seem that they do profit from incoming transfer fees, whereas we are always buying players at inflated fess and paying them high wages. It seems Mr Tan is now fed up of this approach and we will need to be very careful going forward. The problem for Swansea is when the sales stop, but the will offload Ayem and his high wages this summer.

We've had a financial advantage over most other clubs this season and didn't;t make it count. Mind you when we went up up 2017/18 I don't think we had any parachute payments then either? So we will struggle to compete with the likes of Fulham, WBA, Sheffield United etc.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    They like us, will be hit hard next season with no parachute payments. It does seem that they do profit from incoming transfer fees, whereas we are always buying players at inflated fess and paying them high wages. It seems Mr Tan is now fed up of this approach and we will need to be very careful going forward. The problem for Swansea is when the sales stop, but the will offload Ayem and his high wages this summer.

We've had a financial advantage over most other clubs this season and didn't;t make it count. Mind you when we went up up 2017/18 I don't think we had any parachute payments then either? So we will struggle to compete with the likes of Fulham, WBA, Sheffield United etc.
    We had four years of parachute payments after getting relegated in 2013/14. It was a different system.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post

Yeah they still had 15m parachute this season, and like us - nothing next.
    15m is a big reduction, but it is definitely enough to make a significant impact, as most similar clubs revenues are around the 20m mark if you don't include parachute payments (30 m for bigger clubs like leeds or derby)

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    We had four years of parachute payments after getting relegated in 2013/14. It was a different system.
    so this will be our first season since 11/12 where we are without premier league money.

How many clubs will still have parachute payments next year? probably about half a dozen?

They have managed cutting their cloth well so far - did they get any compensation for Potter? That would help as well - but have recently taken the decision to downgrade their academy due to costs and aside from potentially Cabango I'm struggling to see which of their players is going to be subject to large bid. Not being able to move Ayew on has helped their short-term but not medium to long term.

Swansea could really start to struggle if not promoted this year, and their XG suggests they're the fourth best side going into the playoffs, which might please some on here but would be bad for football in south Wales.

I feel like we're a couple of years behind in that desperation has turned us to focusing on youth but investment might not follow post-pandemic and that increases risk of well drying up. Warnock's final two/three transfer windows were poor (not a comment on individuals just overall strategy) and we're not able to move on from his dealings until 2022-2023.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Swansea wether people like it or not has always had a strong football tradition and has always produced good young local talent or rather found it and developed it

We have a far larger population to draw from and Cardiff is a far bigger city with a huge pool of youngsters mad on football right on its doorstep from inner city Grangetown, Butetown , Riverside etc

But they never get seen

Somethings going wrong

And there are more
    The amount of really decent youth I’ve played against who hailed from the areas you mention sludge is frightening, they just drift away from football in their late teens, no one comes in and develops them.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    My mistake sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    The amount of really decent youth I’ve played against who hailed from the areas you mention sludge is frightening, they just drift away from football in their late teens, no one comes in and develops them.
    Somali lad from Butetown moved up to Manchester by United several years back , don't know what happened to him . Surely Cardiff City scouts should be working with local school PE teachers to say hey we have a lad , 14 , great talent , come and have a look 👍

If wages, fees and football in general was priced correctly parachute payments wouldn't be needed

Just serves to keep the big clubs big

Swansea are crap but manage to get results.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    If wages, fees and football in general was priced correctly parachute payments wouldn't be needed

Just serves to keep the big clubs big

Swansea are crap but manage to get results.
    Yeah parachute payments are a terrible idea, designed to make it much more likely that the premier league clubs come back up.

The last 2 seasons 4 out of the final top 6 had parachute payments. It'll probably be a similar story next season.

The clubs coming down will get something like £42m the first season, 35 million the second and 15 the third (if they've been in the premier league more than one season).

Compare that with a club like Brentford, who's entire income is about 15m, other clubs are getting multiple times that, just from parachute payments.

They say that it's to make sure that clubs don't go bust having to maintain player salaries after relegation - instead they could make it compulsory for all players to have 50% relegation salary reductions or something lke that - then distribute the money fairly

But they never get seen

Somethings going wrong

And there are more
    Gareth Bale is the pretty obvious example of a player on our doorstop who was ignored/missed out on, his uncle played for us ffs!

Don’t forget that the basis of the accounts is not cash in, cash out.
    They will, however, include depreciation on transfer fees.
    This means that the transfer fees are written off over the length of the contracts.
    A simplified example of this is an £8m transfer fee for a 4 year deal, means £2m charged to the accounts for each of the 4 years.
    Swansea have tended to pay less for transfers, which makes their position stronger, relative to ours.

But they never get seen

Somethings going wrong

And there are more
    Alas it has always been the case. In the 70's and 80's Bristol Rovers used to snaffle up all our local talent and of course a bit later on, Southampton and Norwich grabbed Bale and Bellamy respectively.

You are right about Swansea too. They do have a very strong football tradition and have been nurturing and developing local talent for as long as I can remember. How difficult can it be to say enough is enough, if Swansea can do it Cardiff most certainly can ? Signs are that things are starting to improve but this needs to be an ongoing trend. It's great when players like Ramsey and Ledley break through but there should be more, much more.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Gareth Bale is the pretty obvious example of a player on our doorstop who was ignored/missed out on, his uncle played for us ffs!
    We were in Division Four when Chris Pike played for us and would have been in one of the bottom two divisions when Bellamy went to Norwich. I’m fairly sure as well that we were when Bale first teamed up with Southampton. I’m as critical as anyone of our youth development record, but Bale and Bellamy were never going to sign for us as kids.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Yeah, I would've loved to have seen him warming the bench with Rambo in the Cup Final.

Quote Originally Posted by ivandobsky View Post
    Yeah, I would've loved to have seen him warming the bench with Rambo in the Cup Final.
    Jones gets way too much stick for not starting with Ramsey in the cup final.

The kid was just 17, had only started a handful of games in his senior career, playing in a cup final, against a team from a higher division.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Jones gets way too much stick for not starting with Ramsey in the cup final.

The kid was just 17, had only started a handful of games in his senior career, playing in a cup final, against a team from a higher division.
    You think so ? That kid Rooney was tearing up the Premier league at 16. Anyway not meaning to open up old wounds
    And we have to be thankful that Ramsey didn't come along during the Warnock years or we'd have never seen him in a City shirt.