+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Keith Hill sacked as Tranmere boss

Keith Hill sacked as Tranmere boss

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57069049

"Tranmere chairman Mark Palios said: "Despite success achieved on the pitch in the form of securing a place in the play-offs and reaching the EFL Trophy, in the play-offs an entire season gets distilled into two or three games.

"I have to do what I think gives us the best chance of achieving promotion in those games and I have reluctantly come to the conclusion that means making the change before the semi-finals begin."

Re: Keith Hill sacked as Tranmere boss

Saw this news and went online expecting the usual "terrible timing" and "what are the board thinking" type of comments.

Turns out the majority of Tranmere fans commenting are doing cartwheels down the street, overjoyed at the news.

What a ridiculous decision. If the chairmen actually believes that sacking the manager now will improve their chances of them winning the play offs, he is deluded. Palios has form for being a controversial figure in football from his time as Chief Executive of the FA.

Quote Originally Posted by celticknight View Post
    Saw this news and went online expecting the usual "terrible timing" and "what are the board thinking" type of comments.

Turns out the majority of Tranmere fans commenting are doing cartwheels down the street, overjoyed at the news.
    I remember back to 2003 and I knew of City fans who would happily have seen Lennie Lawrence sacked before the playoffs, given the awful football we saw and our alarming drop in form.

Interesting fact re. My family, Mark Palios is the former husband of my brother’s wife.

Quote Originally Posted by celticknight View Post

Don't know much about Tranmere but he can't have been doing that bad a job if they were in the EFL final and made the playoffs. They were non league not long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewsbury Blue View Post
    Don't know much about Tranmere but he can't have been doing that bad a job if they were in the EFL final and made the playoffs. They were non league not long ago.
    They were relegated from League One last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I remember back to 2003 and I knew of City fans who would happily have seen Lennie Lawrence sacked before the playoffs, given the awful football we saw and our alarming drop in form.
    I’m glad we didn’t sack him,his 03/04 side was inconsistent, but when they were good, they were great to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Interesting fact re. My family, Mark Palios is the former husband of my brother’s wife.
    Another interesting fact. Palios was the surname of the Greek family who owned the Top shop on the Grand Avenue in Ely when i was a nipper. 🤪

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I’m glad we didn’t sack him,his 03/04 side was inconsistent, but when they were good, they were great to watch.

I seem to remember the first game back an NP after promotions. We were superb....and lost 2-0 to Bradford City to two wonder strikes.

A note of some or no consequence: of the 19 managers whose teams finished in their Football League division’s promotion or playoff spots, the oldest (Keith Hill) is only 51, with the rest all in their thirties or forties. There are some very experienced younger coaches around now

https://twitter.com/thehuwdavies/sta...68480974786563
    This tweet didn't last long...

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    I seem to remember the first game back an NP after promotions. We were superb....and lost 2-0 to Bradford City to two wonder strikes.
    That’s right, I think maybe there’s a little bit of rose coloured spectacles on my part about that season because I was concerned about how we’d cope in the second tier after so long out of it - the fact we were able to cope and more was such a pleasant surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    That’s right, I think maybe there’s a little bit of rose coloured spectacles on my part about that season because I was concerned about how we’d cope in the second tier after so long out of it - the fact we were able to cope and more was such a pleasant surprise.
    I also think there was an element of everyone as a club growing into that season. We'd seen players like Earnshaw and Gabbidon there with us in the bottom division. Sam Hammam was hugely popular. We were a couple of players short that season in the end, but it was a decent side at this level and exciting to watch going forward.