+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Interesting bit of City history going on eBay

Interesting bit of City history going on eBay

Things like this don't come up often
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-....m46890.l49286

Re: Interesting bit of City history going on eBay

If i was a multi millionaire fan I'd buy it.

Interesting use of the word "his" rather than "their" on the ticket. Seems deliberate.

Were women not allowed to attend?

Imagine the furore now.

I wonder what a better condition one would go for. That one is so beat up £200+ seems a lot to pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I wonder what a better condition one would go for. That one is so beat up £200+ seems a lot to pay for it.
    I'm not at all convinced this is authentic. It doesn't look like any original programme so I would be very cautious about bidding for this item. Something just seems off.

An original in good condition (which is in colour and has far more content) should start off at £900-£1000 and could easily sell for more. Here's an interesting article from the BBC from Jan '20 re some sales of Cardiff City memorabilia.

These items, when authentic, are pretty good investments as they more than hold their price and will give an excellent return over many years.

Just another note re, the eBay auction listed by the OP - the seller has a score of only 36 (100%), has sold just 1 item in the last 12 months and nothing of higher value listed. They are also only offering to send 1st Class Royal Mail when I would expect something of this value to be stiff-card packaged, tracked and insured. I used to collect old Wisdens about 10 years ago, particularly from the 1930s (a few Bodyline editions) and there were many fakes, aged reprints and re-bound editions to avoid. Back then they were going for £900-£1000 on eBay and even more to collectors around the world. A set from 1939-42 would now be in the region of >£4K.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I'm not at all convinced this is authentic. It doesn't look like any original programme so I would be very cautious about bidding for this item. Something just seems off.

An original in good condition (which is in colour and has far more content) should start off at £900-£1000 and could easily sell for more. Here's an interesting article from the BBC from Jan '20 re some sales of Cardiff City memorabilia.

These items, when authentic, are pretty good investments as they more than hold their price and will give an excellent return over many years.

Just another note re, the eBay auction listed by the OP - the seller has a score of only 36 (100%), has sold just 1 item in the last 12 months and nothing of higher value listed. They are also only offering to send 1st Class Royal Mail when I would expect something of this value to be stiff-card packaged, tracked and insured. I used to collect old Wisdens about 10 years ago, particularly from the 1930s (a few Bodyline editions) and there were many fakes, aged reprints and re-bound editions to avoid. Back then they were going for £900-£1000 on eBay and even more to collectors around the world. A set from 1939-42 would now be in the region of >£4K.
    Whilst what is on sale is definitely not the official match programme it is, probably, an item of genuine memorabilia.On the cover it is called a "Souvenir Programme". Such programmes were printed at the time and given away by newspapers and the like. The Western Mail printed one. You will note from the item on sale that there is no price printed on the cover which suggests it was a give away of some kind. The ticket looks like a genuine one.

The link to the BBC article you include was the sale of memorabilia by former Club Historian Richard Shepherd, most of which was bought by the club at that auction and, I understand, will go on display at some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    Whilst what is on sale is definitely not the official match programme it is, probably, an item of genuine memorabilia.On the cover it is called a "Souvenir Programme". Such programmes were printed at the time and given away by newspapers and the like. The Western Mail printed one. You will note from the item on sale that there is no price printed on the cover which suggests it was a give away of some kind. The ticket looks like a genuine one.

The link to the BBC article you include was the sale of memorabilia by former Club Historian Richard Shepherd, most of which was bought by the club at that auction and, I understand, will go on display at some time.
    I can remember there being souvenir programmes for things like our big European games, the cup tie with Arsenal I believe and Welsh internationals during the sixties, but they were not given away, they would cost the same as the official programme in most cases. From memory, the ones I saw were not bad, but I never wanted to buy one because it was the official programme or nothing for me - I've long since lost contact with the old programmes market, but I can't ever remember there being much of a market for souvenir programmes when I was interested in buying and selling programmes.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    If i was a multi millionaire fan I'd buy it.

Interesting use of the word "his" rather than "their" on the ticket. Seems deliberate.

Were women not allowed to attend?

Imagine the furore now.
    Your not wokeing

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I can remember there being souvenir programmes for things like our big European games, the cup tie with Arsenal I believe and Welsh internationals during the sixties, but they were not given away, they would cost the same as the official programme in most cases. From memory, the ones I saw were not bad, but I never wanted to buy one because it was the official programme or nothing for me - I've long since lost contact with the old programmes market, but I can't ever remember there being much of a market for souvenir programmes when I was interested in buying and selling programmes.
    I think what you are referring to are “ Pirate Programmes” printed for financial gain. They were a rip off. I remember my father telling me that you should only buy programmes from sellers who shouted “Official Programme” and not “Programme of the Match”. Having said that they now have a curiosity value and original “pirates” do crop up from time to time on EBay.

Didn't they print one and give them away with programme sales in 1977 to celebrate 50 years. ?

I'm sure I got 3 upstairs

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Didn't they print one and give them away with programme sales in 1977 to celebrate 50 years. ?

Hmmm.
    Could be a massive breakthrough!

Can you dig them out and report back

Good work Hèrcule

I'm pretty sure that a reproduction of the official 1927 programme was included with the programme for our 3rd round match with Arsenal in 1979/80.

L

I remember that as well. In about 2008 or thereabouts didn’t the City include a replica of a past programme in each match day programme for the season including the 1927 final, the 1910 opening game at Ninian Park plus sundry others from various periods of the history of the City including the Southern League ?

I agree, it may well be genuine, however, I think the bidding looks off and overpriced for a souvenir programme. I personally wouldn't bid on this item because I couldn't be sure of its authenticity as the seller doesn't seem to know its origin and has a poor (in my opinion) level of expertise and selling history, all of which add up to greater risk. The seller not having a long selling history is a red flag to me.

The memorabilia sold by Richard Shepherd on the other hand involved no risk as to its authenticity and I'm pleased that the club was able to buy most of it.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    You're dead right about this. There's very little margin on old programmes now though low-cost high volume sales from programmes acquired at no cost are how a lot of the pro. sellers make money.

It's interesting you mention the souvenir programmes and Arsenal because the cup 1960/61 programme with the hard blue, embossed cover went for around £20-£50 each about 15 years back (my father had a box of them!). A regular programme is only worth about £3-£5 I believe.

The other interesting thing (as I'm wearing my anorak) is that certain programmes will be valued disproportionately high, an example being Cardiff City v Chelsea, March 23rd 1955 which is around £150! I don't make the rules!

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I agree, it may well be genuine, however, I think the bidding looks off and overpriced for a souvenir programme. I personally wouldn't bid on this item because I couldn't be sure of its authenticity as the seller doesn't seem to know its origin and has a poor (in my opinion) level of expertise and selling history, all of which add up to greater risk. The seller not having a long selling history is a red flag to me.

The memorabilia sold by Richard Shepherd on the other hand involved no risk as to its authenticity and I'm pleased that the club was able to buy most of it.
    In terms of prices, at the Richard Shepherd auction the Western Mail souvenir programme was estimated at £40-£50 and fetched £130 and a lot of 2 tickets was estimated at £50-£60 but fetched £360 so £180 each. Assuming authenticity the pricing of the items on Ebay does not seem to be miles out. At time of posting the bid is at £265 with 8hrs to go.

In terms of prices, at the Richard Shepherd auction the Western Mail souvenir programme was estimated at £40-£50 and fetched £130 and a lot of 2 tickets was estimated at £50-£60 but fetched £360 so £180 each. Assuming authenticity the pricing of the items on eBay does not seem to be miles out. At time of posting the bid is at £265 with 8hrs to go.
    That's interesting to note the estimated prices and the final bids at the Richard Shepherd auction and yes, assuming authenticity, I agree the price currently doesn't look to be off compared to the final prices you've mentioned. The only thing is though, I'd have more confidence bidding at auction than on eBay because of the authentication of the items and being able to inspect the condition of the item. As I've mentioned earlier, I've come across some right old fraudsters on eBay so I'll be the first to admit I'm more than a little cautious these days.

I'd add that all the estimates are often irrelevant anyway because if someone really wants to collect/own the item and not regard it as an investment then the prices can be hugely inflated and misleading. Charity auctions being a good example.

The ticket looks original but is not in the best condition. Normally as Enoch Mort says above a mid range price for the ticket would be £180, or somewhere between £150-250 depending on condition. This one, as I sa, is not the best.

The programme is a souvenir(or pirate) issue. The original official issue has purple in the colour cover along with drawings of two players, one in blue and white and one in red & white. The pirate issue I would value at £40-50 like Enoch but has sold higher as he says. This one is a 4 page card issue, when pirate programmes were sold outside grounds the seller usually dupe unsuspecting buyers in tow thinking it's an official programme (even in 1927!) They do come up from time to time but not worth spending too much money on.

There is a another 'official' booklet type issue which i believe was done by the Western Mail.

Don't forget Arsenal have a large collector base, much bigger than Cardiff's, who are prepared to pay big money for rare Arsenal items.

The bid at the moment is top end of what I'd expect to pay for very good copies but these are sub standard and worth less. But there again it's worth what people are prepared to pay.

Ended up going for £360.
    There's money in them there attics

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    Ended up going for £360.
    There's money in them there attics
    Bluetit's rummaging up in the attic as we speak!

I've got pretty much every City programme, home and away, since the War (WW2, not Vietnam) and prices have generally fallen in the last 10 years, exceptionally so on run of the mill stuff. This is due to Ebay being everyone's sale outlet, and reducing prices charged by dealers/ But real rarities will get good prices.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Bluetit's rummaging up in the attic as we speak!
    Mrs won't let me bring any of that shite down

Got loads of Wales programmes from the late 50's/60's

Ingurlund v Rest of the World

Loads of 1966 memorabilia as well

Plus City stuff

Mrs won't let me bring any of that shite down

Got loads of Wales programmes from the late 50's/60's

Ingurlund v Rest of the World

Loads of 1966 memorabilia as well

Plus City stuff
    Better left there for a few more years then, nice legacy for the grandkids

I'd be up there in a flash if I were you.

Show the missus this thread, she may well change her mind

It really has been a strange one of late with prices.....items have been going way over the top. There are various pirate programmes from the final and I’d imagine this went to an arsenal collector