+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Interesting bit of City history going on eBay

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Interesting bit of City history going on eBay

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I agree, it may well be genuine, however, I think the bidding looks off and overpriced for a souvenir programme. I personally wouldn't bid on this item because I couldn't be sure of its authenticity as the seller doesn't seem to know its origin and has a poor (in my opinion) level of expertise and selling history, all of which add up to greater risk. The seller not having a long selling history is a red flag to me.

The memorabilia sold by Richard Shepherd on the other hand involved no risk as to its authenticity and I'm pleased that the club was able to buy most of it.
    In terms of prices, at the Richard Shepherd auction the Western Mail souvenir programme was estimated at £40-£50 and fetched £130 and a lot of 2 tickets was estimated at £50-£60 but fetched £360 so £180 each. Assuming authenticity the pricing of the items on Ebay does not seem to be miles out. At time of posting the bid is at £265 with 8hrs to go.

Re: Interesting bit of City history going on eBay

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    In terms of prices, at the Richard Shepherd auction the Western Mail souvenir programme was estimated at £40-£50 and fetched £130 and a lot of 2 tickets was estimated at £50-£60 but fetched £360 so £180 each. Assuming authenticity the pricing of the items on eBay does not seem to be miles out. At time of posting the bid is at £265 with 8hrs to go.
    That's interesting to note the estimated prices and the final bids at the Richard Shepherd auction and yes, assuming authenticity, I agree the price currently doesn't look to be off compared to the final prices you've mentioned. The only thing is though, I'd have more confidence bidding at auction than on eBay because of the authentication of the items and being able to inspect the condition of the item. As I've mentioned earlier, I've come across some right old fraudsters on eBay so I'll be the first to admit I'm more than a little cautious these days.

I'd add that all the estimates are often irrelevant anyway because if someone really wants to collect/own the item and not regard it as an investment then the prices can be hugely inflated and misleading. Charity auctions being a good example.