+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My predictions for the new season

My predictions for the new season

I have been thinking hard for a few days and reckon that nobody whose contract is ending will be offered an extension, or for the few that are then it'll be on a drastically reduced basis. Morrison, Moore, Smithies, Ralls, Vaulks and Murphy will be gone and replaced with cheaper league 1/2 young players. I think everyone will be up for sale. We will have to become sustainable for the first time in ages, can't see Tan forking out big sums on a regular basis again. I'm quite looking forward to seeing McCarthy build his own team

Re: My predictions for the new season

I don't think we will sell all of those, but perhaps 2

I reckon 1. Moore.

Smithies is on too high wages. I think we will hang on to Morrison.

Nobody will come in for Vaulks and Murphy.

Im sure if we made Ralls available Warnock would have him for starters.

lol

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I reckon 1. Moore.

Smithies is on too high wages. I think we will hang on to Morrison.

Nobody will come in for Vaulks and Murphy.

Im sure if we made Ralls available Warnock would have him for starters.
    I genuinely think we'll have a radically different squad next year, we can't keep spunking millions on players that turn out to be crap and then need their contracts paying up. It'll be full of young enthusiastic kids, who may take time to settle in.Look how well Sang,Colwill and Ng have done so far.

I have a feeling we are about to enter a period of austerity and that everyone on decent money will be gone. Including Morrison. I hope I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    I genuinely think we'll have a radically different squad next year, we can't keep spunking millions on players that turn out to be crap and then need their contracts paying up. It'll be full of young enthusiastic kids, who may take time to settle in.Look how well Sang,Colwill and Ng have done so far.
    If we have a team full of young enthusiastic kids including, and others on par, with Sang, Colwill and NG we’ll get thumped and relegated.

The vast majority of clubs have had their budgets shrunk drastically by a season without stadium revenue and, thinking about Andre Ayew, the only way to permanently get rid of a player is to: i) find a buyer who the club and player are happy with, ii) wait until their contract expires or iii) buy them out of their contract.

It's unlikely that McCarthy gets to build his own team until the year after when some of our higher earners have had their contracts come to an end.

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    If we have a team full of young enthusiastic kids including, and others on par, with Sang, Colwill and NG we’ll get thumped and relegated.
    I wholeheartedly agree, but it's what I've heard is going to happen from more than one trusted source. Morrison and Moore have intrinsic value and will be easy to sell, we'll get cut-price younger versions of both. Watters has been identified as not of the required quality and will get bombed out too

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    Morrison may go.

The others you need buyers. Isnt happening in my opinion.

I think the matchday squad come August will have around a dozen current squad members and 7 maybe 8 from this season in the 11.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Morrison may go.

The others you need buyers. Isnt happening in my opinion.

I think the matchday squad come August will have around a dozen current squad members and 7 maybe 8 from this season in the 11.
    Moore will be bought. I think we'd accept relatively low fees to get some higher earners off the wagebill.

We all know nothing. Your general pessimism is unwarranted. Wouldn’t want to party with many of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanmore Bluebird View Post
    We all know nothing. Your general pessimism is unwarranted. Wouldn’t want to party with many of you.
    Do you see us keeping our best players and Tan funding a promotion charge?

My opinion is that there will be minimum movement both at City & elsewhere. Maybe a couple moved out and a couple of loans.

WBA & Fulham will go straight back up. Peterborough & the play-off winners straight back down.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Do you see us keeping our best players and Tan funding a promotion charge?
    Who knows? As supporters we have to hope for the best scenario. With so little money being around and our players already vastly overpaid, I can’t see them taking a drop in wages to move to other Championship clubs. None of them are true Premiership standard so I don’t see them being poached by their teams.

As for Tan, we need his money just to keep the City afloat.

I don’t know how we will do next season; there is no particular need for pessimism in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    My opinion is that there will be minimum movement both at City & elsewhere. Maybe a couple moved out and a couple of loans.

WBA & FULHAM will go straight back up. Peterborough & the play-off winners straight back down.
    What makes you come conclusion ?

The 7 loanees they got, have played the majority of their games and I can't see any of them staying, so that means they have to recruit a new squad to play in a league which will be a different type of football.
    They were lucky to go up last season, another 10 minutes and we would have scored, in the second leg. They were on the rack.

And, Brentford never turned up for the final.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    What makes you come conclusion ?

The 7 loanees they got, have played the majority of their games and I can't see any of them staying, so that means they have to recruit a new squad to play in a league which will be a different type of football.
    They were lucky to go up last season, another 10 minutes and we would have scored, in the second leg. They were on the rack.

And, Brentford never turned up for the final.
    Parachute payments?

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Parachute payments?
    yep, straight off the bat, before they've even sold a ticket they have £45 million more to play with than us.
    their budget for the season is likely to be about 3 times what ours is.
    the fact they had a lot of loanees means they have a high degree of flexibility now in how to spend it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Parachute payments?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    yep, straight off the bat, before they've even sold a ticket they have £45 million more to play with than us.
    their budget for the season is likely to be about 3 times what ours is.
    the fact they had a lot of loanees means they have a high degree of flexibility now in how to spend it.
    So the AGENTS can start robbing them blind, before a contract is printed.

The championship, is a strange olde league.

Who would have predicted Barnsley in the top 6

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    So the AGENTS can start robbing them blind, before a contract is printed.

The championship, is a strange olde league.

Who would have predicted Barnsley in the top 6
    Dickie Bird & Michael Parkinson

The way football teams are run these days puts Fulham at a massive advantage in the loan market. They can take their pick of players available from the massive PL rosters on loan all over London. Chelsea alone have over 30 players out on loan this season.

I would be more than a little surprised if Morrison is allowed to leave, mainly because he possesses the leadership qualities MM will heavily rely upon if we are going to be introducing more youngsters into the team.

Of the others mentioned, the only real loss would be Keiffer Moore. Based on his goals this season and his international standing I don't think a bid of under £10m would be accepted by the club, at least I hope not.

The Championship is an unpredictable league at the best of times but with Covid massively affecting the finances of all clubs, next season promises to be the most unpredictable ever.

Player recruitment for next season is key so let's all hope that MM is up to the challenge.

Transfer fees and wages will be depressed across all leagues - a good thing. We don't know yet what the new football economy will look like - but comparisons with previous seasons (even last summer under Covid) will be apples and pears. Income and player costs down, even if most other costs are unchanged.

There will be a lot more players available out of contract as clubs reduce bloated squad sizes. A buyers market with a bigger pool of available talent at a lower cost, and less likelihood of generating big fees from sales. Moore and Morrison (not Murphy) the most saleable - but even then the benchmarks from previous windows may not apply.

If Cardiff is in Covid trouble because of reduced revenues (with parachute payments last season and Tan's backing) how much worse will it be for two thirds of other Championship clubs? Relegated clubs with parachute payments may find it harder than normal to reduce their costs through player sales.

We have got the most talented batch of youth players in a decade coming through the academy - and it seems a willingness to bring them into the first team.

Overall I don't see why we should be pessimistic about the summer and next season. I will be disappointed if Moore is sold (don't think Morrison will go and doubt there will be takers for Murphy willing to pay a significant fee), but with youth players coming through, out of contract and loan players leaving, and new loans and free transfers joining, I expect us to be in the play off fight again.

One thing is sure, the Mick McCarthy honeymoon is now over and he can now reshape the team the way he wants. Judge him then.

A few on here think Bennett will be offered a new deal but I'm not so certain.

Sentiment aside, in the cold light of day he is a full back who has a very serious injury.
    I know many feel we owe him something but if he was at another club and negotiating with us then got that serious an injury we would simply move on.

International

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Transfer fees and wages will be depressed across all leagues - a good thing. We don't know yet what the new football economy will look like - but comparisons with previous seasons (even last summer under Covid) will be apples and pears. Income and player costs down, even if most other costs are unchanged.

There will be a lot more players available out of contract as clubs reduce bloated squad sizes. A buyers market with a bigger pool of available talent at a lower cost, and less likelihood of generating big fees from sales. Moore and Morrison (not Murphy) the most saleable - but even then the benchmarks from previous windows may not apply.

If Cardiff is in Covid trouble because of reduced revenues (with parachute payments last season and Tan's backing) how much worse will it be for two thirds of other Championship clubs? Relegated clubs with parachute payments may find it harder than normal to reduce their costs through player sales.

We have got the most talented batch of youth players in a decade coming through the academy - and it seems a willingness to bring them into the first team.

Overall I don't see why we should be pessimistic about the summer and next season. I will be disappointed if Moore is sold (don't think Morrison will go and doubt there will be takers for Murphy willing to pay a significant fee), but with youth players coming through, out of contract and loan players leaving, and new loans and free transfers joining, I expect us to be in the play off fight again.

One thing is sure, the Mick McCarthy honeymoon is now over and he can now reshape the team the way he wants. Judge him then.
    Agree completely.

And of course the mercurial tomlin will be fit again and in amongst it (Allegedly )