+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: off-topic - MacBook V PC Laptop

off-topic - MacBook V PC Laptop

So need some advice..

I have always had laptops my entire life, I move around a bit and often work abroad, so picking up and taking my laptop along is always what I have done.

I have grown frustrated recently with paying £500-£600 for a generic mid-range laptop, and after 3 years it starting to fail, it seems 'rot' with laptops is common (generally slowing and breaking down within the 3-5 year mark)

After speaking to a friend he swears by Macbook Laptops, said his is 7 years old and as good as it was on day one, other people have said similar about their longevity and build quality.

Now while I spend lots of time on my laptop 3-5 hours a day, I do not actually do much of anything of significance, mainly watch youtube videos, stream live sport on sky go, Cardiff games on city player, I use Microsoft Word a lot for work, and then generally just check my e-mails and post on here.

I have stayed away from chromebooks, because I do often plug my HDMI from laptop to my TV to stream movies or live sport, and I find you do need a fairly 'powerful' laptop to stream live tv constantly.

Anyway

Today I bought a MacBook Pro from apple in Cardiff, while it is 100% more powerful than I require for my needs, I have never been afraid to pay for quality, and if it lasts two cycles of my generic HP/Dell purchase then it pays for it's self.

However I am really not enjoying the operating system, I have no interest in all their pre-loaded apps, and it took me a while to figure out how to download chrome on it and it is not as simple as using it on Microsoft.

copying my old files and photos over does not seem like it is going to be simple, and I haven't even tried downloading word yet.

I have 14 days to return, and I am considering it after one day, should I stick it out, or have I made a mistake with this purchase?

thanks.

Re: off-topic - MacBook V PC Laptop

I found the Mac difficult to start nut have Parallels and Windows installed to run some work programs on MsAccess. Best of both. You really need 512 hard disk to do it though

Send it back mate. You’ve bought an Aston Martin to do the school run.

I’ve got pretty much everything Apple and whilst it is perfectly fine , I really don’t use it to its potential.

Have a look at the google chrome book go. You can get an adapter to plug hdmi Into. I believe you can get Word on there too.

I'd simply replace the SSD hard drive on the old laptop.

Thanks for replies so far, I have spent more time with it this morning, and I have already become much more confident the the OS, I have downloaded all the apps and software I am familiar with and it had made the experience better.

I do agree with it being too much for my needs, and it is only going to get more pricey as I am looking to buy extras like monitor mouse and keyboard.

I still keep trying to justify it with the potential longevity, but when I can buy 3 laptops with the price I have spent to far! It makes it hard.

I think I will give myself 7 days and then decide

You don't need to take it back, you just need to get used to it. It'll last you forever

I bought a really cheap laptop, about £220 quid just to plug into my TV to watch sport mainly Cardiff matches on I follow and use my I pad for everything else. Suggest persevering with the Mac while still using the laptop for everything else.

I don't like Apple stuff, I find the interface too restrictive and frustrating.

If you don't get on with it then I would get rid as that's most of what you're paying for.

If you have everything apple it makes more sense but individual devices aren't worth it IMO.

There is an additional downside that if you do get used to it then you run the risk of becoming on of those tedious apple fanboys.

as a side note, most chromebooks have a mini HDMI port now, I often watch a stream on my daughters CB plugged into the TV, my own CB is so old it doesnt even have the google play / app store on it ( still does all i need it for, The net and my work doc's )

another point of note, and ive been looking at them as my oldest is going to Uni in Sept, Im not really into Macbook's, so please let me know you opinion on the below if you are

people say the macbook pro goes on forever, so here we have a 2015, 8 gig, 128 gig SDD, 12 months warranty for £440 ( the price of a just above entry level Win Laptop

so this macbook pro will go forever, so shouldnt that be the one to purchase

They do last a long time that’s very true. I had a MacBook Pro last for 8 years and still sold it for a reasonable amount.

Currently have a 2018 MacBook Air which does everything I need.

I own three MacBooks. But I didn't buy any of them new and I never would. If you're a PC guy, there's no reason whatsoever to buy one. I'm typing this on a late 2013, 13 inch, running an OS from 2018. It really is on its last legs. If the battery runs out I have to take the back off the computer and reset it. I basically have to leave it plugged in all the time.

If you really want a MacBook, buy a refurbished one.

whats the verdict on apple v android in general ?

My mate swears by apple

My other mate hates it and has android Samsung phone , tablet, chrome book etc

Says he prefers the way android chrome , Google etc work

I certainly prefer Google to Safari search

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    You don't need to take it back, you just need to get used to it. It'll last you forever
    No, it absolutely will not. Built-in obsolescence is part of Apple's business model.

first line say's it all. paying £300-£400 laptops you see in currys is the issue, designed to get you and last 2-3 years. no good. you need to look at high spec better made laptops.

People who tend to by MAC's dont have a clue how to use them or use them to thier potential, they just want the apple logo and a 'look at me' device.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    another point of note, and ive been looking at them as my oldest is going to Uni in Sept, Im not really into Macbook's, so please let me know you opinion on the below if you are

people say the macbook pro goes on forever, so here we have a 2015, 8 gig, 128 gig SDD, 12 months warranty for £440 ( the price of a just above entry level Win Laptop

so this macbook pro will go forever, so shouldnt that be the one to purchase
    I use Macs & PCs every day for game development projects so have a fair bit of experience using this kit. The Macbook Pro 2015 is a really good laptop at the spec you've just mentioned and is priced about right at £440 with a 12 month warranty. It's an intel chip so will run Windows 10 via Bootcamp (which means you can run MacOS and Windows dual boot from the same machine) effectively giving you 2 laptops for the price of one (be aware that will half your SSD capacity though - but you can also boot from an external SSD via Thunderbolt 2 which means you can up-spec the machine if needed).

It'll run Big Sur (latest MacOS) really well which makes it as good as a current 2020-21 model.

It will even run an external eGPU (Radeon graphics card) if you needed to run 3D software in the future (though Apple will say it can't but if you need to I can explain how it's done).

I've still got a 2015 and it's a real workhorse. I run Macs until they drop and I've yet to have one give out. All PC laptops I've ever owned and used eventually give up - compare that to a 2009 Macbook Pro I have that's still running (admittedly it's now a basic laptop but it still works).

As someone else has mentioned, low-end PC laptops are a waste of time IMO. I'd go with the Macbook Pro 2015 before a new Windows laptop.

To the OP, sounds like you don't need that kind of power so I'd return it and buy a refurbished Macbook Pro/Air (for a third of the price) as suggested by NYCBlue. It'll come with 12 months warranty and you can find them on Amazon (so you get Amazon's return policy too - I've had a Graphics Card recently refunded that gave up just before its 12-month warranty - so they can be really helpful).

Another thing that's worth noting is if you've bought the new MBP with the Apple chip it WON'T be able to dual-boot into Windows 10 - only the older Macs with intel chips will do this. This is important.

To anyone else considering a Mac - buy anything from 2020 but no older than 2015 (for lots of reasons but I really can't write anymore).

Hope this helps. I'm happy to answer any Qs if needed so feel free to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    So need some advice..

I have always had laptops my entire life, I move around a bit and often work abroad, so picking up and taking my laptop along is always what I have done.

I have grown frustrated recently with paying £500-£600 for a generic mid-range laptop, and after 3 years it starting to fail, it seems 'rot' with laptops is common (generally slowing and breaking down within the 3-5 year mark)

After speaking to a friend he swears by Macbook Laptops, said his is 7 years old and as good as it was on day one, other people have said similar about their longevity and build quality.

Now while I spend lots of time on my laptop 3-5 hours a day, I do not actually do much of anything of significance, mainly watch youtube videos, stream live sport on sky go, Cardiff games on city player, I use Microsoft Word a lot for work, and then generally just check my e-mails and post on here.

I have stayed away from chromebooks, because I do often plug my HDMI from laptop to my TV to stream movies or live sport, and I find you do need a fairly 'powerful' laptop to stream live tv constantly.

Anyway

Today I bought a MacBook Pro from apple in Cardiff, while it is 100% more powerful than I require for my needs, I have never been afraid to pay for quality, and if it lasts two cycles of my generic HP/Dell purchase then it pays for it's self.

However I am really not enjoying the operating system, I have no interest in all their pre-loaded apps, and it took me a while to figure out how to download chrome on it and it is not as simple as using it on Microsoft.

copying my old files and photos over does not seem like it is going to be simple, and I haven't even tried downloading word yet.

I have 14 days to return, and I am considering it after one day, should I stick it out, or have I made a mistake with this purchase?

thanks.

I have always worked for software companies (even pre-Windows - I am THAT old) including Microsoft, and always used a Windows laptop until about 4 years ago.

I then switched to a Mac and wouldn't willingly go back. In fact all of our machines at home and all my boys' laptops are now Macs, having previously been Windows machines.

Stick with it, would be my recommendation. The advantages will become more and more apparent over time (I initially struggled).

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    whats the verdict on apple v android in general ?

My mate swears by apple

My other mate hates it and has android Samsung phone , tablet, chrome book etc

Says he prefers the way android chrome , Google etc work

I certainly prefer Google to Safari search
    Safari isn’t a search engine, better than google is DuckDuckGo

Apple Mac’s and MacBooks are far superior to Windows any day of the week. And so much easier to use when you get used to them

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I use Macs & PCs every day for game development projects so have a fair bit of experience using this kit. The Macbook Pro 2015 is a really good laptop at the spec you've just mentioned and is priced about right at £440 with a 12 month warranty. It's an intel chip so will run Windows 10 via Bootcamp (which means you can run MacOS and Windows dual boot from the same machine) effectively giving you 2 laptops for the price of one (be aware that will half your SSD capacity though - but you can also boot from an external SSD via Thunderbolt 2 which means you can up-spec the machine if needed).

It'll run Big Sur (latest MacOS) really well which makes it as good as a current 2020-21 model.

It will even run an external eGPU (Radeon graphics card) if you needed to run 3D software in the future (though Apple will say it can't but if you need to I can explain how it's done).

I've still got a 2015 and it's a real workhorse. I run Macs until they drop and I've yet to have one give out. All PC laptops I've ever owned and used eventually give up - compare that to a 2009 Macbook Pro I have that's still running (admittedly it's now a basic laptop but it still works).

As someone else has mentioned, low-end PC laptops are a waste of time IMO. I'd go with the Macbook Pro 2015 before a new Windows laptop.

To the OP, sounds like you don't need that kind of power so I'd return it and buy a refurbished Macbook Pro/Air (for a third of the price) as suggested by NYCBlue. It'll come with 12 months warranty and you can find them on Amazon (so you get Amazon's return policy too - I've had a Graphics Card recently refunded that gave up just before its 12-month warranty - so they can be really helpful).

Another thing that's worth noting is if you've bought the new MBP with the Apple chip it WON'T be able to dual-boot into Windows 10 - only the older Macs with intel chips will do this. This is important.

To anyone else considering a Mac - buy anything from 2020 but no older than 2015 (for lots of reasons but I really can't write anymore).

Hope this helps. I'm happy to answer any Qs if needed so feel free to ask.
    thanks

I love my Chromebook, its a great bit of kit, spending £1500 - £2300 on a new macbook pro just seems alot of money, imho the best option for my daughter ( going to uni ) looks like the 2015 macbook pro and maybe upgrade the SDD ( which i am comfortable with doing on a win Laptop, so i guess the MBP is similar ), she isnt really into having the " latest and greatest " tech stuff, she still has a iphone 7

Whats the score with External Screens ? ? ? ? as a nice 29" screen would be great to work with

Of course she could take her old Win10 HP stream laptop ( but it really does struggle with the 32 gig SDD and does slow right down when it updates win 10 ) , but thats not going to make doing course work / assignments much fun

thanks

I love my Chromebook, its a great bit of kit, spending £1500 - £2300 on a new macbook pro just seems alot of money, imho the best option for my daughter ( going to uni ) looks like the 2015 macbook pro and maybe upgrade the SDD ( which i am comfortable with doing on a win Laptop, so i guess the MBP is similar ), she isnt really into having the " latest and greatest " tech stuff, she still has a iphone 7

Whats the score with External Screens ? ? ? ? as a nice 29" screen would be great to work with

Of course she could take her old Win10 HP stream laptop ( but it really does struggle with the 32 gig SDD and does slow right down when it updates win 10 ) , but thats not going to make doing course work / assignments much fun
    Chromebooks are cheaper for a reason....

My son had one before his Mac and I replaced the screen twice. I currently work for a very large US software company who is 'intimate' with the Chromebook ( ) and when you join they offer you the choice of Windows, Mac or Chromebook. So they don't even insist on you having to use a Chromebook

And most people choose Macs.....and they aren't £1,500 btw.

Macs take a lot of getting used to.
    I have a high end DELL XPS at home...which is great.....but on my travels I bought the following:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am VERY pleased with it....and NO 'Bloatware' pre-installed either - unlike many laptops.

Another good model I have recommended is TECLAST - their only problem is lack of supply.

btw I paid the higher price!!!!
    Last edited by Maurice Swan; 12-05-21 at 16:55. Reason: update

thanks

Just to be sure - the Macbook Pro 2015 is this one with the Retina display? Assuming it is, for now, the SSD is not the 2.5 SATA fitting it's this kind but don't let that put you off. My wife's got the same model and I upgraded no problem. I would suggest the kit because that way you can utilise the current SSD as an external drive (which would be impossible without the caddy).

You can't upgrade the RAM on this model.

The 2105 MBP has an HDMI port and a 29" monitor will be no problem. If it's the Retina model you can run a 4K monitor as a second screen no problem (though a 1080p is good too) both at 60Hz (I run DELLs).

If she's got an iPhone then she'll love the Mac alongside. But please check the MBP is the early 2015 13" Retina (the 15 inch would likely be much more than £400ish).

If it's the one I think it is then to me it's a no-brainer over anything else.....IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post

The 2105 MBP
    2015! Obviously

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    No, it absolutely will not. Built-in obsolescence is part of Apple's business model.
    My partner uses my old MBP which is a 2012 model. She uses it for the same things as the OP and it works flawlessly.

Whilst she MIGHT not be able to upgrade beyond Big Sur, I don’t see why it shouldn’t work for another 5-10 years. 15-20 years isn’t bad for a laptop.

It is upgraded to two ssd’s (one in optical drive) with 16gb. This is probably the biggest negative about new MBPs, they aren’t user upgradable .

The OS will takes a while to get used to but it is very intuitive once you know your way around.