+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you give him another year?

Would you give him another year?

I would, especially after reading about the coaching role.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...exact-20572268

Re: Would you give him another year?

No. He's been fantastic for us, but he's in his late 30s and has had some major injuries.

I think it is too big of a risk to spend a chunk of wage budget on someone who isn't likely to play a full season.

Flint and Morrison are also over 30 and will be in their last year too next season, so we really should be preparing to bring someone through now rather that potentially losing 3 central defenders at one time next summer.

Interesting though that this story is in the media, perhaps the club are giving him a contract and are doing some ground work PR to sell it to the fans

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Definitely not Paul! He's 36, and has started one League game in the last two seasons. And that was the 6-0 defeat at QPR where he was awful. I'm sure he wants to stay, I would if I was 36 and on £000s per week. As a junior coach he would be on a normal wage and that would be a heck off a drop from what he's currently on. He could probably do a decent job for someone like Newport or a non League team. As a player he is well past his best. The club is also trying to shed wages from the payroll too. Ciaron Brown has started many more games than him and is years younger. That may be his view but I am sure Mr Tan has different ideas, unless of course he takes massive drop in pay.

Obviously he is well like by everyone at the Club , and the fans. I am sure he will become an excellent coach and manager one day.

But City have habit of giving out extra year's contracts to certain players- Connolly, Richards, Tomlin etc. Yet Warnock could wait to offload Whittingham a few years back. You'd think they'd learn.

Initially I was thinking in a coaching role by all means but in a playing capacity no.
    Sol could drop a league or two and do a job but if we have any ambitions regarding a promotion bid, then we should be looking elsewhere.

Then I'm thinking, if we are going to make do with what we have already then it may be prudent to give him another year, especially as he has quite a few months to prove his fitness.

Sol Bamba sets out his exact plan for next season and Cardiff City fans are going to love it
    What I'd love is to hear that he's taking a huge pay-cut out of love for the club! He's asking to be an extremely expensive but inexperienced youth team coach /part-time player who appears for 10 minutes max while we're taking a serious hit to our budget.

I presume City want him to take over from Mick and we're paying a premium to have first dibs on what we think is the next Pep Guardiola instead of letting him walk to do that job at Boro.

Yes, but as a player/coach and as a back up to first team, but more involved with U23’s and Academy squads.

Has to be a hundred percent no as a player. He has passed his sell by date and isn't good enough to get into the first team and would be a risk as a squad player. If MM signs him and Jonny Williams it would be a sign he has lost the plot completely. Sorry but this is a ruthless business and there is no room for misplaced sentiment.

Marlon Pack and Sol 'Beckenbauer' Bamba in a back three, spraying 50 yard passes and playing it out from the back.... ?

No.

I'm all for sentiment in the right places and at the right time, but I cannot see Sol getting back to a level where he would be a reliable and consistent defender for us next season, even as a back up. Age, injuries and a serious illness take their toll.

I want Sol to remain at the club and be part of the coaching team, and maybe as a club ambassador as well. I am also very happy to see him carry on with his media work. But can he roll the clock back 3 years as a player - I don't think so.

Only if the cost is commensurate with being a back up who will only play a few games die to an injury crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewsbury Blue View Post
    Has to be a hundred percent no as a player. He has passed his sell by date and isn't good enough to get into the first team and would be a risk as a squad player. If MM signs him and Jonny Williams it would be a sign he has lost the plot completely. Sorry but this is a ruthless business and there is no room for misplaced sentiment.
    Absolutely agree with my fellow London Bluebird here.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewsbury Blue View Post
    How do you know he has ‘passed his sell by date’ or isn't good enough for the first team. You are just guessing. If he gets fully fit he can certainly do a job in the Championship, even if it is only as a back up combined with some coaching duties. Its the least he deserves after what he did for us.

Why is everyone assuming that he would be on a full players contract if he signed for another year ?. From what he has said, he would probably play for almost nothing for 12 months and if he can get fit enough, why not. At the same time he would finish his coaching badges and we could retain his registration. It is ridiculous writing him off fully at this stage. MM wouldn't play him if he thought he wasn't up to it. It would be great to have him on the pitch or bench to salute him, even if it was only as a bit part role.

No but wish him well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Yes, but as a player/coach and as a back up to first team, but more involved with U23’s and Academy squads.
    Exactly the sort of thing I was thinking of when I said I’d give him a one year deal.

Definitely. He’s still better than Flint.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Definitely. He’s still better than Flint.
    He really isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    How do you know he has ‘passed his sell by date’ or isn't good enough for the first team. You are just guessing. If he gets fully fit he can certainly do a job in the Championship, even if it is only as a back up combined with some coaching duties. Its the least he deserves after what he did for us.
    Because he will be 37 in January- very few players are this age. How can he get fit having missed 2 seasons; very few sportsmen come back to the same level after this time and at his age.

Further, many people on this board and *****’s board say we have little money to invest in players. Unless Sol is willing to take a cut in salary to perhaps £3000 per week, I think we should thank him for his service and say goodbye. Maybe offer him bonus incentives payable upon set targets- say 20 league games.

No one can know for sure of course but the fact that he has only played one game in the last two years and that was in the six nil defeat when he was terrible gives a clue. Add that to the fact he is 36 and has had serious injury problems. How many 36 yearolds are currently playing in the premier or championship are there actually any? There comes a time when a player needs to be hanging his boots up this is it.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    He really isn't.
    Flint has had a long career at a similar standard to Sol’s. Also look at Flint’s goal scoring record. At this time, Flint is a better player.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    No but wish him well.
    This 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Stanmore Bluebird View Post
    Flint has had a long career at a similar standard to Sol’s. Also look at Flint’s goal scoring record. At this time, Flint is a better player.
    Whilst I am unaware of Flint's previous performances prior to signing for us, I agree with the principal.

Experience can be just as important as physique and provided Sol hits the minimum required level of fitness, he could still be an asset with his brain and influence on the team and youngsters coming through.

Off the bench he'd be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

We can employ Bamba as a coach and he can still train with the first team to keep his fitness levels up and maybe sit on the subs bench if required, but I don't think we should give him a player's contract.

Has Bamba passed his sell by date?

Bamba missed only one league start in our Premier League season until he suffered a very nasty knee injury. His first start for almost 11 months lasted a disastrous 45 minutes at QPR, where we were 3-0 down at half time.

Since then he's made 9 substitute appearances, with all bar 2 seeing him coming on in the last couple of minutes.

Bamba has made 5 starts in the FA and EFL cup since the QPR debarcle, against the mighty Carlisle, Northampton and Reading.

Since his knee injury Bamba has made 6 starts in a Cardiff shirt, where we've conceded 15 goals in those games at a rate of 1 goal every 33 minutes Bamba was on the pitch, half of those against sides in lower divisions. In the Championship last season, we conceded a goal on average every 84 minutes.

I have absolutely every sympathy with Bamba's illness and nothing but admiration for his battles towards recovery. He will always be a City great. I would love to see him as a coach with us if that's what he will become good at.

Would I like to see him playing regularly? Not unless he's been able to turn the clock back a few years to a time before his injury and serious illness.

The last man who demanded a Cardiff City swansong damaged his legacy here.

The parachute payments are stopping and our budget is reduced, the head needs to rule the heart I’m afraid.

Clearly a bit of a non story

Sol knows he's got a battle on his hands but he knows and I am sure he's been told his playing career is at an end

Hes probably saying this after a few words with a reporter but he knows the score

His battle is against cancer

Once he is dealing with that I am sure he will be an inspiration to the youngsters around the club

And once he's more stable , that's where he has a place if the noises coming out of the club are true

Hes not going to be on the bench or on the pitch for cardiff city again I am certain of that , I am sure the club wanted to give him that moment before his life moves to a new phase which as he recovers from his illness , will be part of the coaching staff

But he will always be a bluebird