+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The modern world

The modern world

Some people seem to want the best as soon as it comes out

The best tv , new car every 3 years , top of the range gym membership , smart TV

I bought a Samsung A10 phone , 150 quid

Its fine , I don't use mobiles a lot ,

Saw a review the other day saying whilst it was a good budget phone " in its day " ....that was then

Its two years old ff sake , not 1992

Is it just me ?

I think the people are gullible and everyone is sucked in these days

Who needs a new car , phone , TV, sofa , fridge every few years ?

I don't remember all this stupidity 20 years ago 🤔

Re: The modern world

I'm with you on this one.

I used a nokia until recently, I could make and receive calls, send and receive texts, what else do I need?
    But firms are increasingly telling us to use their app, so I gave in and got my first smart phone...
    within a year I had to upgrade - it wouldn't load the Wetherspoon app, my credit card co "upgraded" their app, which was working fine, and guess what? their new app wouldn't work on the "old" phone

Built=in obsolescence is killing this country...or even this world.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

An interesting (short) read about instant gratification

https://www.cuvva.com/news/instant-gratification

The marketers want us to want everything now. The capitalists love it.

Came across this the other day (was discussed on a Radio 4 programme*):

https://www.fairphone.com/en/

Looks interesting.

*on the same programme it was said that the manufacture of a mobile phone uses an astonishing 12,000 litres of water (I presume this includes all the steps in the process like refining of the rare earth metals that go into it). Multiply that by the millions of mobile phones.......!

I was fine with my old Nokia phone too until we started a charity group and some of the group found that it was a lot easier to communicate simultaneously with the rest using WhatsApp. Consequently I had to get a smartphone like everybody else. Having said that, this was 5 years ago and I have no intention of changing the phone as it already has far more "gizmos" than I will ever use!

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    I'm with you on this one.

I used a nokia until recently, I could make and receive calls, send and receive texts, what else do I need?
    But firms are increasingly telling us to use their app, so I gave in and got my first smart phone...
    within a year I had to upgrade - it wouldn't load the Wetherspoon app, my credit card co "upgraded" their app, which was working fine, and guess what? their new app wouldn't work on the "old" phone

Built=in obsolescence is killing this country...or even this world.
    I still have my Nokia

Its going nowhere

As indeed am I

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Came across this the other day (was discussed on a Radio 4 programme*):

https://www.fairphone.com/en/

Looks interesting.

*on the same programme it was said that the manufacture of a mobile phone uses an astonishing 12,000 litres of water (I presume this includes all the steps in the process like refining of the rare earth metals that go into it). Multiply that by the millions of mobile phones.......!

I was fine with my old Nokia phone too until we started a charity group and some of the group found that it was a lot easier to communicate simultaneously with the rest using WhatsApp. Consequently I had to get a smartphone like everybody else. Having said that, this was 5 years ago and I have no intention of changing the phone as it already has far more "gizmos" than I will ever use!
    you must get the apple 26 , now!

Its the new black ⚫

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    An interesting (short) read about instant gratification

https://www.cuvva.com/news/instant-gratification

The marketers want us to want everything now. The capitalists love it.
    Its gone completely potty

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Its gone completely potty
    It's not really it's just adapting to the environment - Fine tuned manufacturing processes, cheap raw materials etc have meant that it's cheaper to replace than to repair. It's cheaper for me to go on amazon and buy the niche products (even with higher prices) than to wander round various shops looking for what I need. More women are working than ever - more disposable income means more stuff. There's no point earning money and taking it to your grave.

There's nothing wrong with buying new stuff routinely as long as you can afford to do it. It's the people that live beyond their means is the worry.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    It's not really it's just adapting to the environment - Fine tuned manufacturing processes, cheap raw materials etc have meant that it's cheaper to replace than to repair. It's cheaper for me to go on amazon and buy the niche products (even with higher prices) than to wander round various shops looking for what I need. More women are working than ever - more disposable income means more stuff. There's no point earning money and taking it to your grave.

There's nothing wrong with buying new stuff routinely as long as you can afford to do it. It's the people that live beyond their means is the worry.
    Buying a new car every 3 years is completely idiotic , it just keeps the world burning up

The world is mad

I say, bring back the Steam Locomotives

“Children; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. They no longer rise when elders enter the room, they contradict their parents and tyrannize their teachers. Children are now tyrants.”

Socrates wrote the above around 470 BC.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    “Children; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. They no longer rise when elders enter the room, they contradict their parents and tyrannize their teachers. Children are now tyrants.”

Frigging hell, he must have been some age, when he played for Brazil in the 70's

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Frigging hell, he must have been some age, when he played for Brazil in the 70's
    Very witty !!

Reminds me of the brilliant Monty Python sketch, a football game between Greek philosophers v German philosophers. And yes Socrates WAS playing. I think Plato was in goal for the Greeks. Surreal but very funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Very witty !!

Reminds me of the brilliant Monty Python sketch, a football game between Greek philosophers v German philosophers. And yes Socrates WAS playing. I think Plato was in goal for the Greeks. Surreal but very funny.
    "There's the ball!"

Very witty !!

The most worrying thing is the fact that anyone would want a Weatherspoons app.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post

Exactly. All this bashing new technology is basically resisting the evolution of society. 2 years is very quick for technology.

And also, people use phones and TVs etc for many years now. In fact, the phone market isn’t as strong as it was because people are holding onto their phones! Also iirc, the car market has declined as well recently.

The quote sums it up perfectly… people keep moaning about a changing society and it is clichéd

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post

Nothing wrong with Spoons. I've been grateful to it to be honest - one of the only places near my office where I've got any chance of getting a table for a drink after work because they don't do reservations.

The Wetherspoons app is probably the best thing in the last decade

It's a young person's thing mostly, no different to wanting the latest pair of football boots or ox blood loafers.

I say "mostly", as once you've had a taster there's no going back.

Loved my old Nokia 7310 (was it?) back in 2002. Tiny thing, all you could wish for.
    Tried Googling something and it was feckin useless!

That is quite whitty however, try getting served without one.
    A whole heap of hassle, if at all!

Very witty !!

Best match I've ever seen!

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    The Wetherspoons app is probably the best thing in the last decade
    It's just a shame the company's owner is a complete and utter wankspangle.