+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Why are Newport at home for next week's first leg semi...?

Why are Newport at home for next week's first leg semi...?

...I realise there may not be an advantage without fans present but I always thought the higher placed team would be away in the first leg.

That's the situation in the other semi where Morecambe are away at Tranmere?

Re: Why are Newport at home for next week's first leg semi...?

What sort of Mickey Mouse outfit books in a pitch relay before the end of the season. Having to give up home advantage in the second leg is a major gaffe and will probably cost them promotion, especially as fans are now back in.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    What sort of Mickey Mouse outfit books in a pitch relay before the end of the season. Having to give up home advantage in the second leg is a major gaffe and will probably cost them promotion, especially as fans are now back in.
    It's not County's pitch so I would think the work was agreed between the WRU and Newport/Dragons rugby.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Unsatisfactory, but thanks anyway, Eric

Because they finished above FGR. Which is a change in rules for County.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Or it's a chance to pinch a first leg win and put pressure on FGR. I don't think home advantage in the second leg is what it is cracked up to be.

Or it's a chance to pinch a first leg win and put pressure on FGR. I don't think home advantage in the second leg is what it is cracked up to be.
    Can only remember one play off home win - Bristol City.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Can only remember one play off home win - Bristol City.
    Indeed. 7 home playoff ties. 1 win, 6 defeats. Funnily enough, our only home win in the playoffs came in the first leg, we lost every 2nd leg at home.

Huddersfield have played 9 home games in the playoffs without winning, drawing 6 and losing 3. Forest and Mansfield have never won a home tie in the playoffs in 4 attempts. Portsmouth have played 4 home ties and drawn all of them.

In terms of winning away games in the playoffs, only 5 sides have won more away ties than us.

Indeed. 7 home playoff ties. 1 win, 6 defeats. Funnily enough, our only home win in the playoffs came in the first leg, we lost every 2nd leg at home.

Huddersfield have played 9 home games in the playoffs without winning, drawing 6 and losing 3. Forest and Mansfield have never won a home tie in the playoffs in 4 attempts. Portsmouth have played 4 home ties and drawn all of them.

In terms of winning away games in the playoffs, only 5 sides have won more away ties than us.
    Thanks Eric, apart from the Leicester game, I’d say the better team won in all of those home Play Off defeats as well.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Thanks Eric, apart from the Leicester game, I’d say the better team won in all of those home Play Off defeats as well.
    Even in that Leicester game we had a nightmare spell where we turned a dominant opening spell and 2-0 aggregate lead into a 3-2 deficit. We only really got going again when we were behind.

West Ham stuffed us at home. We were nervy against Stoke and didn't deserve anything. Northampton were worthy winners. Fulham deserved their win. We were awful against Reading.