+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff City's summer transfer plans revealed

Cardiff City's summer transfer plans revealed

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...plans-20585126

Cardiff City's planning for next season will take place against a backdrop of harsh financial reality after a year in which the pandemic has bitten hard into Vincent Tan's business empire, Wales Online has learned.

International

Re: Cardiff City's summer transfer plans revealed

WOL must have read it somewhere

It’s just a rehash of previous speculative articles, telling us nothing we don’t already know.
    I do wonder if McCarthy is going to try Pack a bit more as a centre back. It would be a cheap option.

I still think McCarthy will be gone by Christmas.

What a load of drivel the Wales Online article is. They have no idea who is staying or who is leaving or who MM wants to keep and get rid of. They have basically listed almost every player on the clubs books. They say things like the fans want this or the fans want that, without having any such information. Oh and ... stop the press ... big news ... its been a harsh financial year - laughable.

Have they been revealed? Total hog wash.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    It’s just a rehash of previous speculative articles, telling us nothing we don’t already know.
    I do wonder if McCarthy is going to try Pack a bit more as a centre back. It would be a cheap option.

I still think McCarthy will be gone by Christmas.

Whatever makes you say that?

Given who wrote this piece, I think it’s been written with the club’s approval. I reckon it’s true and if the plan really is to go with Flint, Morrison and Nelson at the back and the same four in midfield, it’s going to be more crash, bang, wallop, headless chicken, hit and hope stuff.

Anyone heard the Bale rumour? Madrid paying him 200k a week instead of 400 so save a million a month, apparently he wants to base himself at home in Cardiff so he can sign for us for mere peanuts....do we want him?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Given who wrote this piece, I think it’s been written with the club’s approval. I reckon it’s true and if the plan really is to go with Flint, Morrison and Nelson at the back and the same four in midfield, it’s going to be more crash, bang, wallop, headless chicken, hit and hope stuff.
    It's pretty obvious that we're trying to reduce the wage bill and those players are all under contract for at least one more year, so they're going to be involved unless another club wants to take them off our hands.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Anyone heard the Bale rumour? Madrid paying him 200k a week instead of 400 so save a million a month, apparently he wants to base himself at home in Cardiff so he can sign for us for mere peanuts....do we want him?
    How does this affect our sell-on clause?

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    It's pretty obvious that we're trying to reduce the wage bill and those players are all under contract for at least one more year, so they're going to be involved unless another club wants to take them off our hands.
    Given the situation as outlined in the article, I would have thought player exchange deals would be a sensible way to go - there’s going to be lots of clubs in a similar position to us.

Following a pandemic and loss of parachute payments, Cardiff City plan to cut costs by cutting the expensive players we don't want to keep and keeping the ones we do unless an obscene offer is tabled.
    Err, it doesn't really work like that. The likes of Tomlin, Murphy Glatzel, Whyte and Vassell will be with us unless we can find bidders (or are happy to loan them paying chunk of their fees or pay to cancel their contracts) while the likes of Morrison, Ralls and Moore are far more vulnerable to being sold if our budget is going to be hit as hard as suggested.

There was a sense of realism with Bennett and Bamba being first two mentioned as possible departures and that it's likely we start season with a Warnock'esque defence and/or midfield so transition to prettier football probably comes season after. At what point do we start to question spending £1million on Watters though?

Who in there right mind would buy vassell? I’ve never even seen him play for us....feel sorry for him as he’s clearly unfortunate but no doubt he’s been picking up 80k a month since he signed (as it was a Warnock signing wasn’t it?) barely kicked a ball and a millionaire

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Given the situation as outlined in the article, I would have thought player exchange deals would be a sensible way to go - there’s going to be lots of clubs in a similar position to us.
    That's an idea. Do you think the players ready to be traded are those on manageable contracts only or could we end up trading one player for two so they have the better player without drastically changing budget sheet and we have moderately cheaper costs and players where we're short?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Whatever makes you say that?
    I think it's got to be a real possibility.

I'm feeling pretty miserable about next season and feel we're in for a right old scrap to stay anywhere near mid-table. The play-offs and any desire for promotion are just not going to happen for quite a while. Our main aim for the next couple of seasons is to stay in the Championship. I think it's pretty grim as the perfect storm of some pretty horrendous managing of the club since our promotion together with Covid and all its financial problems are now coming home to roost.

And yes, I'm quite aware I've mixed my metaphors!

Who in there right mind would buy vassell? I’ve never even seen him play for us....feel sorry for him as he’s clearly unfortunate but no doubt he’s been picking up 80k a month since he signed (as it was a Warnock signing wasn’t it?) barely kicked a ball and a millionaire
    I'm pretty sure he scored on his debut after coming on as a sub? I don't remember seeing him after that. Can't even remember the game right now.

Why do you think Vassell s on nearly £20k per week?

I have no idea what he is paid, but that sounds a lot given the circumstances in which he was signed.

This site (no idea whether reliable or not) claims he is on just over £9k per week.

https://salarysport.com/football/player/isaac-vassell/

He had a fantastic debut for us. Sadly it was all down hill from there. If he can stay fit he should be a useful squad player, but staying fit seems to be his biggest problem. Given that, who would want to sign him this window - or even take him on a free and match his current wages (£9k not £20k)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqxCiGXQ4l0

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I'm pretty sure he scored on his debut after coming on as a sub? I don't remember seeing him after that. Can't even remember the game right now.
    Last minute winner against Luton, think he got injured in the next game.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    That's an idea. Do you think the players ready to be traded are those on manageable contracts only or could we end up trading one player for two so they have the better player without drastically changing budget sheet and we have moderately cheaper costs and players where we're short?
    I think players and agents have to aware of the new realities of life in football outside the Premier League in particular- it seems to me that clubs have to seriously consider any offer for one of their players and be more creative as to how they can get deals done by, for example, offering bigger bonuses for promotions over basic wages.

Great news Academy youngsters given their chance , so it won't be hoof ball they as they are schooled differently, unless the match reports are way off beam .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Great news Academy youngsters given their chance , so it won't be hoof ball they as they are schooled differently, unless the match reports are way off beam .
    Do we need the type of manager to nurture that talent and style of play then? Or can mick do it?

Do we need the type of manager to nurture that talent and style of play then? Or can mick do it?
    Mick was audible in encouraging and directing some of our younger players from sideline this year. Younger players need that sort of support from both the managers and big characters on the pitch who can steal back points if ever a younger player makes a mistake - we should have mix of youth and Warnock's leaders next season and a baton handing over the following summer.

[QUOTE=jon1959;5191394]Why do you think Vassell s on nearly £20k per week?

Because Warnock signed him

Quote Originally Posted by islandblue View Post
    Last minute winner against Luton, think he got injured in the next game.
    Thanks! That's the one. I was at the match..possibly a header(?) Canton end. I now remember it being an underwhelming match from our position and Luton were surprisingly quick.
    Last edited by Citizen's Nephew; 14-05-21 at 10:47. Reason: Spelling