+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ciaron Brown in demand this summer!

Ciaron Brown in demand this summer!

Re: Ciaron Brown in demand this summer!

Not convinced on him

me neither....

I can see exactly why big clubs might be interested in him. There was a moment when we played at Swansea where Brown had the ball in the left back position and, with close passing options available to him, decided to whack the ball 60 yards upfield, miles from anyone in a Cardiff shirt.

Flint and Morrison aren't getting any younger and both have had long spells out injured this season

He's a decent back up to the first choice centre halves

We certainly won't be buying a centre half this summer so unless a silly offer is made for him (which there won't be - especially if it's Scotland) I see no reason to sell him

He's not great and he does have tendancy for 60 yard balls to the corner flag whilst Moore looks on incredulously from the half way line but I don't imagine he's on huge wages

I'd stick with him if we can

I was expecting more from the reports of his performances in Scotland , he may need a longer run at Championship level to further develop. I'd be shocked if Celtic were interested.

I don't see it myself.
    If he's on a lowish wage he is ideal as a back up especially if MM is sticking with the 3 at the back.

He is laughably bad on the ball. Turns like a cruise liner as well. He's not completely awful but if we can get some money for him I wouldn't be upset.

He looks like the "Evil" caricature in a PANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    He is laughably bad on the ball. Turns like a cruise liner as well. He's not completely awful but if we can get some money for him I wouldn't be upset.
    Laughably bad on the ball? He’s played well in a top half Championship team. Ok, so he’s not Pele, but his distribution has improved greatly. Are we now at a stage where we just slate every player who doesn’t empty our sacks with their first touch of the football?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dargavel View Post
    Laughably bad on the ball? He’s played well in a top half Championship team. Ok, so he’s not Pele, but his distribution has improved greatly. Are we now at a stage where we just slate every player who doesn’t empty our sacks with their first touch of the football?
    How often do you we, as Cardiff City fans, "empty our sacks" over a player's first touch of the football?
    We have become conditioned to seeing poor control. So when a player is singled out about it, you can be sure it's merited.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I can see exactly why big clubs might be interested in him. There was a moment when we played at Swansea where Brown had the ball in the left back position and, with close passing options available to him, decided to whack the ball 60 yards upfield, miles from anyone in a Cardiff shirt.
    To be fair Eric, the whole team played like that in the second half of the Swansea match. I prefer to remember a lovely ball judged to perfection over the Birmingham right back's head to create a chance for Harry Wilson in our last away match. Brown continues to be pulled up for his passing in a squad that is very poor at passing the ball for the level they compete a. He's not the answer to to our need for a centreback who can play out from the back, but I don't see he's any worse than the three who are considered to be first choices - Brown has struggled in one or two of his games, but, overall, I don't think he's done badly at all and it was noticeable to me that he was a lot more prepared to get into the opposition's penalty area when playing at wing back than he had been when he first got into the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Sounds like he is adapting to life back in Cardiff Citys championship side well ...it can, occassionally ,take a player a while to grasp our complex tactics...

For me we need to keep him. A left sided player who gives the back 3 balance when he plays. He will only get better the more he plays.

Brown , Flint, Nelson , Morrison , pack as cover ?

3 from those Seems decent to me.

With his contract up in the summer I'm sure he's after more than the club just triggering his year extension, his agent is doing his job!

Quote Originally Posted by Punxsutawney Phil View Post
    With his contract up in the summer I'm sure he's after more than the club just triggering his year extension, his agent is doing his job!
    Proven in Scotland and now has quite a few games under his belt for us.

I wouldn't be too bothered to see him go or stay as a back-up as CB or LB.

I don't see him as a starter next season or at a Left Wing Back though... no no no.

Out of interest, I had a look at the details of the team in Belgium that are supposed to be interested in Brown (K V Oostende) and then a look at the league set up in the country. I wish I hadn't to be honest because I have never come across a more weird and complicated set up. At the end of the regular league season the top four teams have a play off for the Championship title for which they carry forward some points from the regular season and there is then also an additional league set up for qualification to the Europa League, where extra games are played and teams from other divisions can take part. Oostende appear to be in the Europa League qualification league this year and the have only played 3 games so far, winning one and losing two but have a total of 30 points !! If you look at how the league systems and play offs work on Wikipedia, it is absolutely totally baffling. I have no idea how the fans or clubs know what is going on. Thank god for the pyramid system in UK.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Out of interest, I had a look at the details of the team in Belgium that are supposed to be interested in Brown (K V Oostende) and then a look at the league set up in the country. I wish I hadn't to be honest because I have never come across a more weird and complicated set up. At the end of the regular league season the top four teams have a play off for the Championship title for which they carry forward some points from the regular season and there is then also an additional league set up for qualification to the Europa League, where extra games are played and teams from other divisions can take part. Oostende appear to be in the Europa League qualification league this year and the have only played 3 games so far, winning one and losing two but have a total of 30 points !! If you look at how the league systems and play offs work on Wikipedia, it is absolutely totally baffling. I have no idea how the fans or clubs know what is going on. Thank god for the pyramid system in UK.
    We’re all experts on the Belgian play off system on here - Loramski explained it to us a few years back (see the Velikonja thread or his loan reports).

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    We’re all experts on the Belgian play off system on here - Loramski explained it to us a few years back (see the Velikonja thread or his loan reports).
    Isn't everybody an expert on everything on this board?

This thread is pretty embarrassing to be honest, the lad has just had his first breakthrough into the first team since joining us at 19 years old, he only has had 12 appearances and done a good job in those games.

We talk about bringing people through, and giving our younger players a chance, he is very early days and looks like a good prospect, and we have people writing him off because he is not Van Dyke yet.
    If you are not prepared to give players a chance to learn and develop at our club.. then you have no right to moan when it was the other extreme under previous managers.

in answer to the original post, I hope he does not go, looks like a good prospect for us in the long term young for a defender and I can fully understand why other clubs would be looking at him.

I'm yet to be convinced that he's capable of playing in team winning promotion from the Championship and/or making step up to the Premier League, but I don't think City are anywhere close to that next year and won't be until at least 2022-2023.

Is he capable of helping us steal points to ensure safety next year as we bring players through and transition a post-Warnock team? I think so based on performances against Brentford away - much more recent evidence than Eric's.

If we keep all our defensive options I'd say Morrison and Nelson were best defenders and then you could rotate the third man based on whether you want ball-playing ability (Pack), a threat in opposition box (Flint) or left-footed player for balance (Brown).

But how far have Celtic fallen if they're considering Brown so early in the summer and so high up their list? He's still got a lot of work to do on his game.

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    This thread is pretty embarrassing to be honest, the lad has just had his first breakthrough into the first team since joining us at 19 years old, he only has had 12 appearances and done a good job in those games.

We talk about bringing people through, and giving our younger players a chance, he is very early days and looks like a good prospect, and we have people writing him off because he is not Van Dyke yet.
    If you are not prepared to give players a chance to learn and develop at our club.. then you have no right to moan when it was the other extreme under previous managers.

in answer to the original post, I hope he does not go, looks like a good prospect for us in the long term young for a defender and I can fully understand why other clubs would be looking at him.
    yes fair point

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    yes fair point
    Isn't he similar age to Semi Ajayi when Ajayi joined Rotherham and started the improvements which had several on here calling his departure a mistake earlier in the season?

Resign him , cheaper than having to replace him I suspect