+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T Salvaging a set top box

O/T Salvaging a set top box

I've cut my ties with Virgin Media and it seems they don't want their set top box/500 gb HDD recorder back. As I understand it, everything I've recorded is trapped on there until I sign up with them again but it might be possible to take the thing apart and use the HDD as an external hard drive of some sort. Has anyone tried this? Is it quite easy? Any other tips for what one can do with it?

Re: O/T Salvaging a set top box

Personally I wouldn’t bother

Those boxes get so much heavy use and 500gb is nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    I've cut my ties with Virgin Media and it seems they don't want their set top box/500 gb HDD recorder back. As I understand it, everything I've recorded is trapped on there until I sign up with them again but it might be possible to take the thing apart and use the HDD as an external hard drive of some sort. Has anyone tried this? Is it quite easy? Any other tips for what one can do with it?
    yes you can, YouTube virgin media TV box teardown and I'm sure you'll find a video on how to do it. it's likely you'll need to format the drive before being able to use it and also need a caddy / enclosure to put it in. You're probably look at 10-15 quid for that. It may be a false economy, I don't know how much a 500gb external drive is.

Quote Originally Posted by GL1Blue View Post
    yes you can, YouTube virgin media TV box teardown and I'm sure you'll find a video on how to do it. it's likely you'll need to format the drive before being able to use it and also need a caddy / enclosure to put it in. You're probably look at 10-15 quid for that. It may be a false economy, I don't know how much a 500gb external drive is.
    Cheers I'll check that out.