+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Mehmet Dalman interview BBC Wales

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Mehmet Dalman interview BBC Wales

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Because Dalman's a serial bullshitter who likes to stroke Tan's ego perhaps?
    You really are a bitter and twisted individual regarding anything to do with Tan. What would they get out of exaggerating how much it costs to run the club anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    You really are a bitter and twisted individual regarding anything to do with Tan. What would they get out of exaggerating how much it costs to run the club anyway.
    Have you ever spent any time in Dalman’s company?

Have you ever spent any time in Dalman’s company?
    Assuming that you have spent time in his company, no doubt he speaks very highly of you as well. Also I would have no doubt that you would have spent the time touching your forelock, licking his arse and trying to get match tickets out of him because thats the kind of person you obviously are - say one thing and do the exact opposite.

Assuming that you have spent time in his company, no doubt he speaks very highly of you as well. Also I would have no doubt that you would have spent the time touching your forelock, licking his arse and trying to get match tickets out of him because thats the kind of person you obviously are - say one thing and do the exact opposite.
    You couldn't really have got this more wrong. I was invited to one meeting at the club which Dalman hosted. It lasted about an hour. I felt the whole thing was a bit nauseating - a daft PR exercise overflowing with bullshit on both sides from start to finish. Dalman came across as very smooth but more than a little oily. I turned down an invitation to speak to him one-to-one after the main meeting and also declined an offer of a free ticket to the next home game.

So what do you reckon regarding Dalman's apparent claim (which he intially made in January) that Vincent Tan has been putting in £3 million a month during the pandemic to keep the club afloat? £36 million a year in hand-outs from the owner on top of the Premier League parachute payments and your season ticket money to keep a mid-ranking Championship team going - do you reckon that's likely? If so, what do you think about the way the club is being managed in financial terms? After all, if Dalman and Co are spending so much money but achieving so little, it can't be healthy, can it?

You couldn't really have got this more wrong. I was invited to one meeting at the club which Dalman hosted. It lasted about an hour. I felt the whole thing was a bit nauseating - a daft PR exercise overflowing with bullshit on both sides from start to finish. Dalman came across as very smooth but more than a little oily. I turned down an invitation to speak to him one-to-one after the main meeting and also declined an offer of a free ticket to the next home game.

So what do you reckon regarding Dalman's apparent claim (which he intially made in January) that Vincent Tan has been putting in £3 million a month during the pandemic to keep the club afloat? £36 million a year in hand-outs from the owner on top of the Premier League parachute payments and your season ticket money to keep a mid-ranking Championship team going - do you reckon that's likely? If so, what do you think about the way the club is being managed in financial terms? After all, if Dalman and Co are spending so much money but achieving so little, it can't be healthy, can it?
    Yes, I do believe it. I also believe that every single Championship club is in exactly the same position to different degrees. I don't understand why anyone would not believe it. What is there to be gained from making it up ? The accounts can easily be checked when they are filed. If the club has any ambitions at all to be successful then that is what it costs to run a club of our size. Instead of moaning all the time about anything they do, we should be bloody grateful that he is keeping us afloat, at the same time as backing the manager/team in still trying to get promotion.

Yes, I do believe it. I also believe that every single Championship club is in exactly the same position to different degrees. I don't understand why anyone would not believe it. What is there to be gained from making it up ? The accounts can easily be checked when they are filed.
    Indeed they can and it'll be interesting to do so when we finally get the chance. What is there to be gained from making the figure up? I don't know, but I'm confident it's exaggerated. After all, the club's Premier League wage bill in 2018/19 was £42.5 million. It's sure to have reduced significantly since then, so given the fact that the club has received large parachute payments for the last two years, where have these enormous sums Dalman referred to been going?

I wouldn't rule the idea out completely, though. After all, I firmly believe that the claims some fans have been making about the club being a well-run operation in recent years is fiction.

Indeed they can and it'll be interesting to do so when we finally get the chance. What is there to be gained from making the figure up? I don't know, but I'm confident it's exaggerated. After all, the club's Premier League wage bill in 2018/19 was £42.5 million. It's sure to have reduced significantly since then, so given the fact that the club has received large parachute payments for the last two years, where have these enormous sums Dalman referred to been going?

I wouldn't rule the idea out completely, though. After all, I firmly believe that the claims some fans have been making about the club being a well-run operation in recent years is fiction.
    Dave, just a point of clarification.

The Premier League season 2018/19 the total wage bill was £53.7m . The figure you refer to of £42.5m was the player related wage bill. The other big cash outlay that season was £38.2m paid out in instalments due for player signings against which the club only got £2.3m in cash from player sales.(those figures are cash figures and not the same as values of players bought and sold in the period because of transfer fees being usually paid by instalments).

On *****` message board (which I don`t have access to post on) there is a claim that the club earned £500m of income from its two years in the Premier League. That claim has no basis in fact. In the two Premier League years the total income was £83.1m in 2013/14 and £125.2m in 2018/19 so a total of £208.3m, less than half that claimed. Indeed , if the entire income for the 9 years from 2010/11 to 2018/19 inclusive is added together it only comes to £399m. In the sae 9 year period the wage bill alone totalled £329m so only £70m left to cover all other running costs of the club.

I can`t comment on the level of cash introduced by the owner in season 2019/20 yet because those accounts are not yet on the public record and the 2020/21 ones (which are likely to have required a greater cash injection) won`t be filed for a long time so it is not possible to comment on the accuracy of Mehmet Dalman`s claims

Keith

Yes, I do believe it. I also believe that every single Championship club is in exactly the same position to different degrees. I don't understand why anyone would not believe it. What is there to be gained from making it up ? The accounts can easily be checked when they are filed. If the club has any ambitions at all to be successful then that is what it costs to run a club of our size. Instead of moaning all the time about anything they do, we should be bloody grateful that he is keeping us afloat, at the same time as backing the manager/team in still trying to get promotion.
    I don’t think I believe it, I would want to know why if I was VT, why do I need to put in another 3 million a month on top of the 3 million a month I got from sky. £40 million last season wasn’t it? 6 million a month to run a mid table championship club? Shockingly bad business