+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mehmet Dalman interview BBC Wales

Mehmet Dalman interview BBC Wales

Just on a few minutes ago. Cant link but if you restart program at 8pm you can hear it.
    Apart from barbed comments about attempted Prem breakaway the most interesting points from a City point of view:
    Joe Bennett...are negotiating new contract. Would like him to stay but not guaranteed
    Sol Bamba. Again negotiating contract but apparently things are quite complicated so again no guarantee he'll be staying
    Have made offers for several players, with one offer accepted.
    Would love Harry Wilson back, as they would Ojo. Ball is in Liverpool's court as Wilson in particular in last year of contract and Liverpool are no doubt looking to sell.
    Cardiff city will have to be pretty well self sufficient next season as they cant rely on VT indefinitely.

Really interesting interview.

Re: Mehmet Dalman interview BBC Wales

I like Mehmet

I don’t like Ojo

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I don’t like Ojo
    I do.

For a while he was our most dangerous player. There was a time when we were talking about him making a bigger impact than Wilson.

Fell away a bit but so did others.

Honestly though, I think whatever MM does in the transfer window, he must inject the side with pace.

I'd let Bennett go and bring in someone younger and with more pace. Ralls or Pack have to go and someone brought into midfield with some pace and guile. And we need a few forwards if we are gonna play a target man with two players around him.

I don’t like Ojo
    You should have said.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    You should have said.

"Cardiff city will have to be pretty well self sufficient next season as they cant rely on VT indefinitely," but also we're offering deals to two premier league players, one player who won't be with us for several months and another player who appears limited to 5 minute cameos.

I don’t like Ojo
    Yawn.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    "Cardiff city will have to be pretty well self sufficient next season as they cant rely on VT indefinitely," but also we're offering deals to two premier league players, one player who won't be with us for several months and another player who appears limited to 5 minute cameos.
    Two Premier League players?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Two Premier League players?
    Sure he means Wilson and Ojo.

I think Premier League players can be used very loosely here, especially in relation to Ojo.

International

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post

So most of those words are yours, not his?

Nothing surprising really in all of that.

Bennett has a bad injury and negotiations cut both ways. Delaying signing a deal has meant that his hand has been weakened significantly by the injury.
    Bamba kept on as a coach would be decent for some but as a player, not so much. Both of those deals could be seen as risky at a time when money is tighter than it has been for quite some time.

Us offering to loan Wilson for the last season of his Liverpool deal has zero chance of happening. An Ojo deal probably has more legs.

I'd be interested to see who we have had a bid accepted for and assume that deal will be completed soon.

Problem area being the middle of the park again. Players not up to it and too many players of the same style. A lot of grunt but not a lot of pace or flair. Changes needed.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    I do.

For a while he was our most dangerous player. There was a time when we were talking about him making a bigger impact than Wilson.

Fell away a bit but so did others.

Honestly though, I think whatever MM does in the transfer window, he must inject the side with pace.

I'd let Bennett go and bring in someone younger and with more pace. Ralls or Pack have to go and someone brought into midfield with some pace and guile. And we need a few forwards if we are gonna play a target man with two players around him.
    The bad results started after Bennett was out injured

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Would love Harry Wilson back, as they would Ojo. Ball is in Liverpool's court as Wilson in particular in last year of contract and Liverpool are no doubt looking to sell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Cardiff city will have to be pretty well self sufficient next season as they cant rely on VT indefinitely.
    Does not compute.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    Sure he means Wilson and Ojo.
    Have City actually made Liverpool offers for either of those players or is Surge making it up?

Have City actually made Liverpool offers for either of those players or is Surge making it up?
    I listened to the Dalman interview and I didn't hear that - although with live interviews the Q & A can sometimes get muddled.

I thought he said that the club would love to have Wilson and Ojo back - but implied (as did MM in recent weeks) that was unlikely because Liverpool will probably want to sell and by implication Cardiff unlikely to be able to buy. He also said the key areas MM and the Board first want to strengthen are striker, left wing and creative midfield.

He said that the club had already made (I think) four offers for players and one had been accepted, but that more work needs to be done on a possible deal.

At one point he said most EFL clubs - including us - will be in serious trouble if the 'Covid' lack of income continues into next season. Also that Vincent Tan's Malaysian businesses have been hard hit but he has put nearly £3m into the club each month since the start of the crisis to keep it afloat. Getting costs down and value up are essential. He was very positive about MM's ability to work in that environment and fairly optimistic I thought.

I'm a Bennett fan but no doubt on a good wage, unless that can be dramatically reduced I'll be honest id like to see Bagan given a go and a back up brought in on lower wages, easier said than done I guess but let's get the wage bill down.

We're expressing apparent interest in two premier league players while also saying we need to minimise spending....

I might be exaggerating/used the wrong word when describing what Dalman apparently said but the impression given still appears unrealistic/sets out a contradictory statement of intent. Apologies for not being clear and if i made anyone feel confused!

This £3 million a month from Tan just doesn’t make sense. That’s £36 million plus another £35 million parachute payments and a few million more from live tv appearances, sponsorship etc probably adds up to nearly £80 million of income. Surely our outgoings are no where near that amount??

Quote Originally Posted by Poolerblue View Post
    This £3 million a month from Tan just doesn’t make sense. That’s £36 million plus another £35 million parachute payments and a few million more from live tv appearances, sponsorship etc probably adds up to nearly £80 million of income. Surely our outgoings are no where near that amount??
    Well one player on £20K per week costs £1 million per year before bonuses. Then factor in staff, the academy, directors, utilities, agent fees, maintenance and so on... and I’m pretty sure that sponsorship must have dried up?

I always thought the PL and parachute money is paid at the end rather than the beginning of the season? If that's the case, VT could well have been putting in 3m a month while waiting for the parachute payment to arrive. Dalman is about as trustworthy as a politician.

People talk about the lack of crowds as if it means that income has dried up completely from that direction, but, by way of an example, a friend of mine, who does not have a computer, paid his normal amount for a season ticket last summer and, apart from matches on Sky, saw nothing of City in the season just ended. The club was in receipt of season ticket revenue which, as I remember it, seemed surprisingly high given the circumstances, so, although I accept that receipts from such directions are not the be all and end all anymore, it's not true to say Vincent Tan was solely responsible for income received in 20/21.

Also, is there any point in becoming too negative about transfer plans for this summer? The transfer market this year is, almost certainly, going to favour buying clubs much more than in previous summers, so I'd say that shrewd recruiting by clubs could see them end up with stronger squads despite turning a profit in terms of buying and selling players.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dargavel View Post
    Well one player on £20K per week costs £1 million per year before bonuses. Then factor in staff, the academy, directors, utilities, agent fees, maintenance and so on... and I’m pretty sure that sponsorship must have dried up?
    I take your point, we may have 2/3 players on £20k a week but most are probably on half that and some a lot less
    It’s a pure guess but I would say roughly our total outgoings are in the region of about £40 million.
    So, I can’t see why Tan would need to subsidise us £3 million a month.. although he probably will have to next season

Here you go very interesting

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p09hmy8h

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I listened to the Dalman interview and I didn't hear that - although with live interviews the Q & A can sometimes get muddled.
    The notion that Mick McCarthy would want to sign Sheyi Ojo again, either permanently or on loan, is bizarre and I think it's just a case of more Mehmet Dalman bullshit. During the last twelve games of the season, Ojo made only one start - the dire 0-0 draw with Stoke back on 16/03/21. He wasn't selected to start any of the nine games that followed, so the manager clearly doesn't rate him.

As regards City's financial situation, I think some significant cost-cutting is inevitable. Covid-19 has obviously had a significant effect, the Premier League parachute payments have finished, the club is still saddled with some of Warnock's most expensive mistakes (Messrs Murphy, Glatzel and Vassell) and there aren't many genuinely saleable assets McCarthy would want to offload if he had the choice, so belts will clearly need to be tightened.

Meanwhile, the elephant in the room still looms large - the £15 million Emiliano Sala transfer fee.

I take your point, we may have 2/3 players on £20k a week but most are probably on half that and some a lot less
    It’s a pure guess but I would say roughly our total outgoings are in the region of about £40 million.
    So, I can’t see why Tan would need to subsidise us £3 million a month.. although he probably will have to next season
    You obviously have no idea how much it costs to run a professional football club in the Championship. Do you think the stadium and all the staff employed apart from the players cost nothing ? Business rates for the stadium alone cost in the region of £500000 a year ! Do you actually believe that we only have 2/3 players on £20K a week as well - it was more like three or four times that (Smithies, Morrison, Flint, Bennett, Hoilett, Glatzel, Moore, Wilson, Ojo, Ralls, Murphy). Why would the figure Tan is putting into the club be exaggerated ? It was widely publicised by a number of different media outlets as between £3m and £4m a month over two years ago.